A question for all 7090 owners (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know about other owners but on a recent winters trip we noticed that the wardrobes got really cold compared to the rest of the storage areas. Has anybody else noticed the problem?

I had thought about drilling a couple of holes in the floor so that heat from the garage could rise up into the wardrobe areas, but have decided against it for now.

Browsing around a local DIY store I spotted some thin cork tiles and wondered if it would be a good idea to line-out the wardrobes to insulate them.

What do others think?

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Cold cupboards

Hi Scattycat
I think your question would apply to most vans in the mountains in winter,when we were in Val Thorens we simply just left the wardrobe door ajar,and if its really severe then the old Army technique of putting your next day clothes inside the bottom of your bed,but thankfully the Rapido never got that cold.:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As RD says, just leaving the wardrobe door ajar would have the same effect. My van has a curved wardrobe door on a flat frame. Sounds mad but allows air flow top and bottom. Think it's actually a happy accident rather than a deliberate design feature - done to fit in with the curvy van interior. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
The problem for us is that the lights in the wardrobe come on when the door is open, much like on a fridge, so I don't consider leaving the doors open an option.

I'm keen on the idea of better insulation for the wardrobe area and cork seems a good option. I was just wondering what others thought

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
insulate

Hi Scatticat.
If you leave the robe boor open warm moist air will enter the robe and condence on the van walls and your cold clothes, resulting in mill dew. Line out the exterier walls, roof and floor. Thin cork tiles will be inadiquate, needs somtheing a lot thicker. When its warmed up put some vent holes at the top and bottom to make shoure of good ventilation. Unless the vehicle has been fully winterized for winter use, damp will always be a problem. The only answer is to ventilate
Pudseykeith. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Scatticat.
If you leave the robe boor open warm moist air will enter the robe and condence on the van walls and your cold clothes, resulting in mill dew. Line out the exterier walls, roof and floor. Thin cork tiles will be inadiquate, needs somtheing a lot thicker. When its warmed up put some vent holes at the top and bottom to make shoure of good ventilation. Unless the vehicle has been fully winterized for winter use, damp will always be a problem. The only answer is to ventilate
Pudseykeith. :thumb:

The van is pretty well insulated and we've never had a problem with humidity in the wardrobe. It never gets damp it's just blooming cold in there in the winter. It's fine when the heating is on but we don't run the heating when on the move.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I can honestly say I have never noticed despite spending several weeks above the arctic circle. I suppose it is cool in there after a long drive but with heating on the bedroom gets really warm and I guess that spreads into the wardrobes. We have done nothing special but as it happens we do use the floors to store spare blankets. Maybe that's it!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Scattycat..
You could put something like these in your wardrobes...

Link Removed
Put one... 1'.00"......60w in each wardrobe

These have a thermostat ...so stand them up in the wardrobe on a very low setting..

Link Removed

...We have the Rapido 9090....I think it is similar to yours,only difference is one is "A class" and one is custom cab... apart from that I think they may be similar....we have Alde heating...so the rad fins go through all the wardrobes / cupboards / garage....and around the rest of the van front to back and under the double floor.....so no problems with cold wardrobes:thumb:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I'm familiar with this problem having bought it in November and used it in very cold weather. This also affects the rear corners of the garage. I don't think there is a solution other than driving with the heating on and perhaps putting a drop vent in each wardrobe so the heat rises from the garage.

EDIT Having re read your post I see you already considered that DOH! I would run with it :thumbup:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'll let you know after the next cold outing
CA_04291316091991-M.jpg
CA_04291316094877-M.jpg
CA_04291316103613-M.jpg

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Not necessarily helpful to you but I have just noticed that your is a 7090c, ours is a 7090df. If I remember my numbers that means your is on a citroen, but without a double floor?? The df has a double floor. Just wonder if that makes a difference, since we have never noticed the problem. We have never run with anything other than the cab heater whilst travelling, and the van gets adequately warm even in very cold conditions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back