summer/winter exterior cab covers (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.

I've seen front exterior screen covers advertised for summer/winter use, silver for the summer and on the reverse a matt grey material for winter use and they appear to be more expensive than those just sold as either summer or winter ones

I understand having a silver reflective material on the outside for the summer to help keep the inside cooler but would the silver summer ones be just as effective in the winter to keep the heat in and reducing condensation? :Smile:

or have I missed something? :Doh:

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
We have Silver Screens and they are the same material both sides, we have used them in very hot weather to keep the cab cool as well as warm in the winter and they are just as efficient either way.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
We have Silver Screens and they are the same material both sides, we have used them in very hot weather to keep the cab cool as well as warm in the winter and they are just as efficient either way.

ditto, they are very effective.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Silverscreens - silver on the outside, silver on the inside (padded insulation in the middle). Excellent product for cold weather and in hot sunshine - never travel without them. Ours will only fit one way round.

Dec 9, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Caravaning / boating / motorhoming for 20+ years
Also Taylor Made.....[silver on the outside, silver on the inside (padded insulation in the middle). Excellent product for cold weather and in hot sunshine - never travel without them. Ours will only fit one way round.]

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
summer/winter covers

Are you talking about the silver internal screens. These are bright silver and some people use one or the other. Personally I use both ( at Newark this year I used both at the same time Brrrrr), the inner one I use if I'm wild camping to facilitate a quick getaway without having to get out with drunks or others around

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.

I've seen front exterior screen covers advertised for summer/winter use, silver for the summer and on the reverse a matt grey material for winter use and they appear to be more expensive than those just sold as either summer or winter ones

I understand having a silver reflective material on the outside for the summer to help keep the inside cooler but would the silver summer ones be just as effective in the winter to keep the heat in and reducing condensation? :Smile:

or have I missed something? :Doh:
In a word...No.

summer screens are for reflecting the sun and have very little thermal qualities.

winter screens are thermal insulators and do little to reflect the sun.

anything on the internal glass will cause condensation overnight as the glass will be slightly cooler than the vans interior......unless you have a lot of ventilation.

poor ventilation and a couple of people breathing for 8 hours or so will cause condensation no matter what.

we use to get a lot on the back wall of the van as we slept at the back...to the point of wet patches on the pillows where they touched the wall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back