Free Member
Apr 26, 2013
Fordingbridge, Hants
Funster No
MH
Riveria ci motorhome
Exp
New to it!! :/
I am new to motorhoming although i have had a caravan in the past so not a complete novice!! :/

My motorhome (Fiat Ducato Riveria Ci) has a waste tank at the back where you pull the lever and the water drains out over a drain which is all well and good at campsites which have this facility but when i go on to a serviced pitch how do i drain the water as i can't work out how to fix a drain hose to the tank opening as it has a 66mm diameter and the pipes don't come that big and i can't seem to find a reducer??
Any suggestions welcome please??

Thanks Titch

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just leave it open like everyone else. :hardhat:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seriously , both my son and daughter have these vans and I am afraid that's what they both do and I honestly can't see what else you are supposed to do, it's a great big hole miles under the van , are you supposed to crawl underneath with something or what, ok if you can draw over something , in France that's ok, but what you do here I have no idea. :Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try moving the van to the part where none seviced pitches empty-then move back to your serviced pitch :Smile:
terry

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree. We have the same problem and find that so many sites that claim to be motorhome friendly don't have a drive-over drain (and seem puzzled when asked) Others may have one but need acrobatic skills to drive over. A simple gutter emptying into the drain would make the whole process available to a wide range of vehicles. As said, this seems to be the norm abroad where motorhomes seem better catered for rather than being pushed into adapting to caravan facilities.

Wyn

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have to agree. We have the same problem and find that so many sites that claim to be motorhome friendly don't have a drive-over drain (and seem puzzled when asked) Others may have one but need acrobatic skills to drive over. A simple gutter emptying into the drain would make the whole process available to a wide range of vehicles. As said, this seems to be the norm abroad where motorhomes seem better catered for rather than being pushed into adapting to caravan facilities.

Wyn

Quite right! Motorhomes have drains in the middle, on the left, on the right, front and rear! Very few can really connect to the drains on fully serviced pitches, but I would argue it doesn't matter too much. I think CI's tanks are quite big so would last a few days - just drive to a drain where you can empty every few days. We empty when we leave, or after about 4 days on the rare occasions we stay longer, sometimes using a bucket. Too many UK sites (especially Caravan Club) have manhole covers that you dare not remove before driving into place because of the risk of dropping into, but after you are in place the manhole cover is under the van!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Agree, some sites are poorly set out.
Mine, like all American RVs have the waste system situated on the left side of the vehicle, towards the rear. Simple to use, connect a length of 3" sewer hose to outlet, and place the open end into a waste point or sewer, open black tank emptying valve, when empty, close valve. Then open grey waste valve, this will clean the sewer pipe and in effect flush the system and sewer. Some US black tanks have a flushing system too. Simple.
Also they have city water connections, where through a pressure valve, the hose from the fresh water tap is connected directly to the RV, and bingo, you have running water on board, without the need for the water pump to be running. It's not rocket science.
All US campground pitches have their services on the correct side for RVs, pull up on pitch, connect electricity, connect water, connect waste pipe.
They do have proper fittings for the sewer pipe on the ground, a small screw in cap is removed, and the open end of the sewer pipe has a connector that fits into this. So a tight fit, no smells, and all you have to do when the tank is full, open valve, and empty, open valve and flush. Very civilised.
Makes some 'fully serviced' pitches in the UK seem backward.

Craig

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Drinage...

Hi Titch,

I have the answer... (picture uploaded) I have suffered from this for years and then I inadvertently came up with the answer this year. Buy a very large plastic basin with handles, they only cost a few pounds and keep it in your garage. There you can put things in it so it doesn't take up a lot of space. When I need to empty the tank I just drain water into this and carry it to the nearest drain. Three carries empties the entire tank.

I never use anything else now. Simple cheap and it works.

Frank
Http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/

Attachments

• 2013-04-26 at 13.27.25.jpg
    2013-04-26 at 13.27.25.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
When we first had our motorhome we had the same problem but we managed to get some pond hose the right size and added a screw connector that just screws into the outlet which works fine on service pitches

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are not a diy person, then a friendly plumber would be able to bodge something together for you. On one of mine I ended up getting a couple of different sized pipes that slid inside each other. I glued them all together along with a (I think) 2" elbow and ran the pipe to side of the van. I then had another elbow and a short piece of pipe.

I could then put a waste hog underneath this and opened the valve.

Worked a treat.

The only scary bit was screwing the clips to the underside of the van as I was worried about damaging it. But a bit of underseal before and after sorted that concern out.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Try moving the van to the part where none seviced pitches empty-then move back to your serviced pitch :Smile:
terry

That's ok if the manhole is in the middle of the road, but most aren't. Ok so you can put new pipes on and mess about but what were they designed to do.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am new to motorhoming although i have had a caravan in the past so not a complete novice!! :/

My motorhome (Fiat Ducato Riveria Ci) has a waste tank at the back where you pull the lever and the water drains out over a drain which is all well and good at campsites which have this facility but when i go on to a serviced pitch how do i drain the water as i can't work out how to fix a drain hose to the tank opening as it has a 66mm diameter and the pipes don't come that big and i can't seem to find a reducer??
Any suggestions welcome please??

Thanks Titch

try visiting a yacht chandler they should sell 50mm + size flat hose, may also stock a screw
adaptor to fit your female end

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Any thing like this?
Broken Link Removed

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
hi,I bought a piece of water hose with a rubber funnel end on it,and for sites with no serviced pitches a folding water carrier,takes up hardly any room and is very light,regards H::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if its the same as mine the tank has a overflo on it so dont worry to much just place a bucket beneath the tank to take the overflo water empty this when needed and empty the tank when you leave the picture with the 50mm pipe (i think its 50mm) is a good idea but beware the ci tanks can be low to the ground so for a permanent fixture it could cause problemes when on the road mine has 2 tanks the front is for the sink only and the rear is for the shower and basin in the bathhroom this tank will have a 22mm waste pipe on it i rarely use the front tank now if i need to washup dishes this is done in a bucket and disposed of on the pitch next to me or on jaws pitch if he is on site :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
if its the same as mine the tank has a overflo on it so dont worry to much just place a bucket beneath the tank to take the overflo water empty this when needed and empty the tank when you leave the picture with the 50mm pipe (i think its 50mm) is a good idea but beware the ci tanks can be low to the ground so for a permanent fixture it could cause problemes when on the road mine has 2 tanks the front is for the sink only and the rear is for the shower and basin in the bathhroom this tank will have a 22mm waste pipe on it i rarely use the front tank now if i need to washup dishes this is done in a bucket and disposed of on the pitch next to me or on jaws pitch if he is on site :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Theirs are 181s and I can't see how you could get buckets out from under there without scrabbling about and getting covered and how do you know how full y bucket is when you are at the back pulling a handle, you couldn't hook up to a service pitch either, and the size of the hole , I would say would fill a bucket before you had chance to look at it

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
sorry the bucket is more like a tray around 8" deep and because it is the overflo it should be ok there is no other option these are badly designed and from what i know they are also continental sizes

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
1 other way is to carry a large bag or gravel stones and dig a hole on ya pitch making your own soakaway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back