Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just seen this on another forum:

"I had a problem with our van two weeks ago and had to use our service with ADAC, all went well with the call for help, spoke to a few guys and got sorted, they told me the AA would ring me and sort out my problem. the guy from the AA was there in 35 mins and befor he did anything he told me I only had basic cover and a recovery home was not possible, a local garage would be my only option. I was 20 mile from home and have my own garage and asked him to tow me there mostly on duel carriageway, sorry was the reply local garage only, I did get him to tow start me as it was a starter motor problem and I then drove home.
I have spoken to ADAC since and they have confirmed that a recovery to home is now not possible in the UK,
she said it would be better for me to use a UK recovery service as well as ADAC, so I am now looking for the best deal for me with a 3 ton van 5.5 mts long, any ideas please?"
..... If I had been in Europe they would have taken me home if it could not be repaired, I was told all the recovery partners ADAC use in Europe don't have a problem with this, apart from the AA.

This is disturbing news for us that have relied on them in the past. Anyone else heard about this change?

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I'm considering Mayday which is basically Green Flag but through the Caravan Club, by using the CC there are no weight or size restrictions ( we have a 7.5 tonner)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ADAC

So it's not ADAC changing cover, rather the AA won't recover you home even if ADAC request it. I wonder if the AA would recover you home if you were and AA member?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
It is worrying as ADAC seemed to be originally a good idea.

We are with them as it covers repatriation for you if your ill too.

However, if you are a member of the Camping and Caravanning club, then their arrivals scheme via RAC which as mentioned in an earlier post, covers any age, weight or length, you can get european cover as well.

You have to give RAC your CC and C membership number when buying it, however if youre not a member I saw a deal which RAC give you a year free membership to the CC and C which is a good deal, search the internet and you will find it.

Pat

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It seems its the AA that are the fly in the ointment here. Am not really surprised as some time ago I broke down in my friends car on the M6 and got ADAC to recover me. The AA arrived and the man that can, told me he did not know how ADAC could give the cover they did for the price. He said that even with his discount working for the AA he could not get the sort of cover ADAC gave at anywhere near the price. He even asked for ADACs contact number so he could join. The AA have obviously realised they are loosing loads of customers to ADAC and have stopped working with them. Nothing in it for the AA springs to mind.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
When I filled up with unleaded one night on the A6 :)Blush:) Adac couldn't have been more helpful. As soon as the AA became involved it all went t*** up. I was left stranded. Adac rang me to check on progress... AA still wouldn't play ball. Adac offered me a night in a hotel while they tried to sort out the eejits at AA. I eventually sorted things myself. Not Adac's fault at all - they couldn't have tried harder. They rang me at regular intervals to see if their latest plan had worked (they contacted various garages etc. to no avail, and eventually said 'International Rescue' was on it's way :whatthe:. They never materialised , naturally.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I recently had a problem with an alarm i could not silence in the middle of the night, ADAC called the aa who called the local garge and sorted it. Now I took out cover with ADAC on the basis of recovery home and away, whilst the fly in the ointment is the AA I suggest ADAC must work around them and provide a solution after all the original contract is with ADAC. One policy for home and EU, irrespective of vehicle I am in at the time, repatriation for illness etc. I will not go to the AA direct to get UK cover nor do I wish to join any camping club to get cover.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
The fly in the ointment isn't the AA it's AdAC.

Pure and simple facts, if I break down I expect recovery home. If I brought my cover from, ADAC AA RAC or Uncle Tom Cobberly down the road.

It's not my fault that they have to argue the toss with the AA, that's there problem, I'm stressed and just want to get home :Angry:

I once broke down with a caravan on the back in Dover, my insurance breakdown had me home in 6 hours having paid a fortune to get us all shifted through the night to home,

I am with Safeguard, they have been excellent as insurance providers and breakdown. :thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Paul

Yes we have been with safeguard for years, but unfortunately will not cover our new motorhome, the only way we could do with was with RAC arrivals.

I think ADAC have changed the way they are dealing with people, in the past we have heard of excellent service. But Jock had problems last year which cost him extra money has they only cover 200 euros for breakdown tow to nearest garage. (france has a known problems with ADAC coverage).

The money charged is cheap for what it is and the germans have used them for years.

However if you have a big unit the arrivals scheme with RAC camping and caravan club is a good scheme, however it did cost £158.00. including european cover for 3 months at a time. (plus your camping and caravan membership approx £40).

However if we didnt have this we have to use RAC commercial which charge you 1,000 on your credit card for a call out in europe and even that is just an entry level, and in England £400. Which if you have a big or unusual unit isnt going to touch the breakdown recovery.

Pat

Pat

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Isnt this to do with ADAC basic and ADAC Plus?
I thought we needed the PLUS to cover this - so that europe is covered ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Paul

Yes we have been with safeguard for years, but unfortunately will not cover our new motorhome, the only way we could do with was with RAC arrivals.

I think ADAC have changed the way they are dealing with people, in the past we have heard of excellent service. But Jock had problems last year which cost him extra money has they only cover 200 euros for breakdown tow to nearest garage. (france has a known problems with ADAC coverage).

The money charged is cheap for what it is and the germans have used them for years.

However if you have a big unit the arrivals scheme with RAC camping and caravan club is a good scheme, however it did cost £158.00. including european cover for 3 months at a time. (plus your camping and caravan membership approx £40).

However if we didnt have this we have to use RAC commercial which charge you 1,000 on your credit card for a call out in europe and even that is just an entry level, and in England £400. Which if you have a big or unusual unit isnt going to touch the breakdown recovery.

Pat

Pat

And are you aware of Arrivals max payout £2000 max you dont get back fro southern spain for that kind of dosh

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have very good German friends here and Hans tells me that ADAC have millions of members in Europe and that is why they are so good . Think out of all those millions how many each year they actually have to pay out anything for ! Not us for a start but better keep my fingers crossed as I say that !! :ROFLMAO:

He tells us that they are long standing and their reputation is second to none. I am not too worried that when iam in UK they would just take me to a garage but can understand how some others may not be too happy with that

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Isnt this to do with ADAC basic and ADAC Plus?
I thought we needed the PLUS to cover this - so that Europe is covered ?

I think things are being misguided here as the ADAC basic and ADAC Plus are two different cover memberships, the first like AA or RAC is for the basic breakdown and recovery to the nearest gge end off, and the member was offered exactly that, but was able to get the AA to bump start him so he could drive himself home and to the gge of his choice, The 2nd option is ADAC plus which covers you for recovery from anywhere in the UK or Europe to your home or gge of your choice, and covers your family as well also hire car and hotel expenses as well just like the full monty you get with the AA or RAC here but costs well over £250 and ADAC Plus costs just €97, work it out for yourself peoples...... ADAC basic costs about €75 I think. I used to be a AA recovery driver and I have recovered many ADAC members within the UK both with basic and ADAC Plus, an many were under the wrong impession as are normal AA and RAC members when buying membership they automatically think that they are getting the full monty in Recovery but are paying only for roadside and local recovery which means AA man to breakdown and if cannot fix then tow to local gge only. I have had to deal with many upset members myself who think they are covered for national recovery and have only the basic of cover, not very nice I can assure you, so please all check exactly what you have paid for so you are not disappointed when the time comes for emergency help and you get exactly what you pay for. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I think things are being misguided here as the ADAC basic and ADAC Plus are two different cover memberships, the first like AA or RAC is for the basic breakdown and recovery to the nearest gge end off, and the member was offered exactly that, but was able to get the AA to bump start him so he could drive himself home and to the gge of his choice, The 2nd option is ADAC plus which covers you for recovery from anywhere in the UK or Europe to your home or gge of your choice, and covers your family as well also hire car and hotel expenses as well just like the full monty you get with the AA or RAC here but costs well over £250 and ADAC Plus costs just €97, work it out for yourself peoples...... ADAC basic costs about €75 I think. I used to be a AA recovery driver and I have recovered many ADAC members within the UK both with basic and ADAC Plus, an many were under the wrong impession as are normal AA and RAC members when buying membership they automatically think that they are getting the full monty in Recovery but are paying only for roadside and local recovery which means AA man to breakdown and if cannot fix then tow to local gge only. I have had to deal with many upset members myself who think they are covered for national recovery and have only the basic of cover, not very nice I can assure you, so please all check exactly what you have paid for so you are not disappointed when the time comes for emergency help and you get exactly what you pay for. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
Gary,

I appreciate what you are saying, however, as Pat pointed out above, we had to pay out €500 at Narbonne, because ADAC operated a €200 limit on recovery outside of Germany. We had the ADAC Plus package. I agree with Paul, ie, the contract is with ADAC. They should sort out any problems with the AA.

Regards,

Jock.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The fly in the ointment isn't the AA it's AdAC.

Pure and simple facts, if I break down I expect recovery home. If I brought my cover from, ADAC AA RAC or Uncle Tom Cobberly down the road.

It's not my fault that they have to argue the toss with the AA, that's there problem, I'm stressed and just want to get home :Angry:

I once broke down with a caravan on the back in Dover, my insurance breakdown had me home in 6 hours having paid a fortune to get us all shifted through the night to home,

I am with Safeguard, they have been excellent as insurance providers and breakdown. :thumb:

I agree; I'm with Safeguard and wouldn't waste my money on ADAC all I ever hear is horror stories about how they let people down, damage their vehicles or don't supply what they sell.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Gary,

I appreciate what you are saying, however, as Pat pointed out above, we had to pay out €500 at Narbonne, because ADAC operated a €200 limit on recovery outside of Germany. We had the ADAC Plus package. I agree with Paul, ie, the contract is with ADAC. They should sort out any problems with the AA.

Regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock, As I said in another post before this started again, ADAC only provide up to €200 for recovery to nearest gge so normally this is not a problem anywhere, but the French recovery company were at fault there and charged you €500 for recovery where the smaller recovery truck left you at as it had a problem with lifting the front of your m/h, but that was the French company's problem and not yours and ADAC should have sorted it by now for you as ADAC are still responsible for there contractors performance and they should have sent out the correct recovery truck in the first place, but the French contractor did provide new tyres for you as I understand so they done there part in compensating you for the damage caused to your tyres, but ADAC should have compensated you as they are ultimately responsible for there contractors Euro wide. What was the outcome with ADAC after all, did you get any compensation from them and if so how much as would be interesting to know?????????????????????????. I am not defending ADAC here as I am only a member myself, but everyone seems to get the terms and conditions all mixed up and try and blame ADAC or the AA or the RAC etc etc for failing to do what they want, but don't realize that they may only be covered for breakdown and local tow, its like paying insurance company for third party ins and expecting ins company to pay for all the damage to there car like having a full comp policy but only paying for a third party policy, also like third party ins, they don't pay for recovery for your damaged car at the scene of accident as like it says on the tin third party ins only this means they cover the other party's costs in damage and not your damage, just an example here to try and show what ADAC AA RAC etc cover, so members of all these breakdown recovery company's should not expect to or are under the illusion of full home recovery when you only pay for local tow. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
flatpackchicken said:
but that was the French company's problem and not yours and ADAC should have sorted it
Exactly Gary. My breakdown insurance was purchased from ADAC. They were my agent responsible for the service being carried out according to the policy terms and conditions. The recovery contractor failed to do that on behalf of my agent, by using faulty equipment, but it was Rita and I that suffered the consequences of that failure, not ADAC.

Yes, 2 x new tyres were fitted, but only because I refused to pay the recovery company's €500 fee, otherwise, we would have been left to pick that tab up as well. And, when they finally admitted causing damage to our "NEW" front tyres, they tried to get out of replacing like for like, ie, Bridgestone Blizzaks, by fitting any old tyre of the same size. Barstewards. :Angry:

I'm not going into great detail re compensation received, but suffice to say, that even after a "goodwill" payment from ADAC, Rita and I were still out of pocket by €250 due to the complete fiasco.

So, it's back to Britannia Rescue, via the CSMA for us. :thumb:

Regards,

Jock.

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have Full European breakdown cover with RAC commercial through our insurance (AVIVA ) with Comfort.

We had two breakdowns on our trip around Spain and Portugal. There service was excellent on both occasions. No problems with recovery or help with getting things sorted in the garage/Tyre depot. They acted as interpretors over the phone and called back often to make sure everything was going OK.

We have also needed their services in the UK and they sent a 44ton recovery truck that is used to recover busses and commercials because of our long overhang.

Very good service

John

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Black is black and white is white

Taken from a post on another forum

I have had a long conversation with Barbara Lorenz at ADAC.

This is the background - the AA are apparently charging very large sums to recover vehicles on behalf of ADAC, and there are talks going on between ADAC and AA to resolve this.

That however has no bearing on the situation if a breakdown occurs in the UK.

This is ADAC's advice:

1. Call ADAC in Germany for assistance making sure that you get the name of the person who takes the call.

2. The AA will attend, and ADAC's preference is for a roadside or local repair if possible. This is cheaper for them, and involves less delay for the member.

3. If repair is not feasible, then the AA are contractually obliged to recover the vehicle to the member's home address (repatriation). If they refuse, as has been suggested they do on occasion, a second call to ADAC is required to advise that the AA have refused. It's essential that you speak to the same person. (Hence the need to take the name on initial contact.)

4. ADAC will ensure that the AA do what they're supposed to. Furthermore, if a hire car is needed, or a flight home if a long way from home, this will be arranged.

It has been categorically stated to me that ADAC will provide the cover that their booklet says they will.

Indicidentally, Barbara tells me that there are many thousands of UK members, and it may be that the AA are trying to put the squeeze on ADAC, and also people who breakdown because ADAC is much cheaper, as we know, than the AA. Reading between the lines, we might deduce that the AA are trying to encourage people to move back to them by using this tactic.

So the bottom line is - stick to your guns and make sure that the AA do what they're obliged to do.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Adac is not a problem. Any time we've had a problem it's always been fine till the AA became involved.

Belonged to the AA many moons ago ... called them out ... they got car started, left, and the car broke down 100yds down the road (same fault).

Last time I needed help Adac was totally on the ball and quite happy to deal with an 'own fault' breakdown - it was the AA which left me in the lurch, refusing to recover me from Derby to west Wales. I sorted myself out but not because Adac didn't or couldn't.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
We have very good German friends here and Hans tells me that ADAC have millions of members in Europe and that is why they are so good . Think out of all those millions how many each year they actually have to pay out anything for ! Not us for a start but better keep my fingers crossed as I say that !! :ROFLMAO:

He tells us that they are long standing and their reputation is second to none. I am not too worried that when iam in UK they would just take me to a garage but can understand how some others may not be too happy with that

We have got Safeguard for the van which includes the AA. We've used it in Spain & it was efficient & effective.

We have also got ADAC Plus for our Smart Car & had to use it in Germany llast June. They were also very efficient, polite & effective. It was late on a Friday night & I suspect that transport to a garage was not on the cards. They did book me in to Merc garage locally for the Monday morning if we towed Smartie there ourselves.

The main reason for having ADAC in Europe is the Repatriation Cover. It saves me £400 per year on UK Travel/medical coiver. I reckon its worth the €70 pa.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back