Scotland: German campervan stuck in snow for four weeks (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Germans resume road trip after 4 week hold up.

A German couple finally bid farewell a remote Perthshire village yesterday, after spending a whole month there by mistake.
The teenage travellers from Bavaria, Oli Suft (19) and Julia Kumshier (19) left Bridge of Balgie in Glenlyon after freak weather scuppered their holiday plans.
The couple had been keen to see Scotland after falling for the scenery used in the recent James Bond film Skyfall.
So they took their camper on the ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle and headed north.
At the end of February they embarked on a round-Scotland road trip before starting college later this summer.
Over two weeks they slowly travelled Scotland from east to west via the north coast and islands.
But their camper van adventure turned into a nightmare when on March 18 they got stuck in a snowstorm as they crossed a nine-mile stretch of untreated hill-pass near Ben Lawers by Loch Tay.

Full Story

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Germans resume road trip after 4 week hold up.

A German couple finally bid farewell a remote Perthshire village yesterday, after spending a whole month there by mistake.
The teenage travellers from Bavaria, Oli Suft (19) and Julia Kumshier (19) left Bridge of Balgie in Glenlyon after freak weather scuppered their holiday plans.
The couple had been keen to see Scotland after falling for the scenery used in the recent James Bond film Skyfall.
So they took their camper on the ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle and headed north.
At the end of February they embarked on a round-Scotland road trip before starting college later this summer.
Over two weeks they slowly travelled Scotland from east to west via the north coast and islands.
But their camper van adventure turned into a nightmare when on March 18 they got stuck in a snowstorm as they crossed a nine-mile stretch of untreated hill-pass near Ben Lawers by Loch Tay.

Full Story
I would not mind being stuck for a few weeks in my motorhome with a
19 year 0ld fraulein

now now am i being Naughty again !!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would not mind being stuck for a few weeks in my motorhome with a
19 year 0ld fraulein

now now am i being Naughty again !!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

126535398_407281c.jpg

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ben+lawers&hl=en&ll=56.535873,-4.277372&spn=0.037153,0.099049&sll=56.53469,-4.293337&sspn=0.037154,0.099049&t=h&hnear=Ben+Lawers&z=14&layer=c&cbll=56.538149,-4.282328&panoid=04gDekDCIRkBZx1OuCZ0Ow&cbp=12,159.02,,0,3.98

Nice wilding spot...... I will give it a go next time I'm up......, (when there is no snow :RollEyes:.)

15516004_Oliver-Suft-and-Julia-Kumshier-March-2013-were-holidaying-in-Scotland-when-they-got-strande-2.jpg

126535400_407282c.jpg

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
:Smile:What a great story :thumb: Gives you that warm happy feeling inside , love stories like this , it gives me a gentle reminder that there are kind caring people out there.::bigsmile: Living in a city I need reminding .

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Nice story.... and it says something about the VW Caravelle TDi that it started up after a month under snow!

gowboy

Free Member
May 26, 2011
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
Fiat/Benimar 7000 A Top
Exp
two
Nice story.... and it says something about the VW Caravelle TDi that it started up after a month under snow!

Agreed - perhaps some VW sponsorship heading their way for their next trip (to the Artic??!):roflmto:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
If they'd have asked me, I could have told them that the Skyfall mansion was actually created from scratch very near me.......

.....on a section of Hankley Common near Farnham in Surrey.....!!

We happened across it one Sunday whilst out for a walk, and got chatting to a scene rigger in the pub later that day, who told us all he was allowed. This was about 2 or 3 weeks before the main unit filming was done - helicopters, explosions etc etc.

It was quite a construction, being a real (to all intents and purposes) building, not just a 2 or 3 sided shell. Construction being wooden frame covered with panels of plaster of paris stonework. The chapel away up the hill was though a 3 sided affair.

The Scottish background of mountains was then added in with computer graphics, but most of the Scots pines were real. The pond in front of the mansion was also a CGI creation.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Yeah....if past experience is anything to go by, my battery would have been flat due to the immobiliser, etc. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back