Traffic laws and others (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Reading in the other thread about parking laws, has anyone ever wondered where these and other laws came into being, who made them and why, and who is one person to tell everyone else what to do, not condoning anything but all the different things you do nowadays there is almost certainly a law against it, parking, speeding, overweight , litter, GREY WATER, bins out , catching crayfish, building houses, there was a tv prog a bit ago about planning departments and one bloke had the final say in something nobody objected to but he got his way. Where does it all come from:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Where does it all come from:Eeek:

Votes I think.

All the worst crap seems to be knee-jerk reactions to keep the voters happy.

And then there are the civil servants. Vast stocks of them in the EU. Their job is to regulate, if they can't make laws they are out of a champagne lifestyle job.

So we pay them and put up with the crap, mugs or wot !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Votes I think.

All the worst crap seems to be knee-jerk reactions to keep the voters happy.

And then there are the civil servants. Vast stocks of them in the EU. Their job is to regulate, if they can't make laws they are out of a champagne lifestyle job.

So we pay them and put up with the crap, mugs or wot !!

I would not wish to offend you with an honest answer
but i will any way

yes MUG!!!

me included he he he

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How can you vote them out, they are all the same, if its ok in London that's it, none of them have seen the real world.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One law that has come in recently is smoking in pubs, now I am not a smoker and don't particularly like it where I am, but how can anyone tell a pub keeper if he can let people smoke in his own pub, it's up to customers not to goin if they don't like it, and that is not the end what are they going to come up with next.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Before planning regulations there were covenants mainly set up by landowners. There are still covenants generally set up by developers and local businesses to protect their interests.
I bought a house next to a pub,from the brewery and the covenant stated I could not brew beer commercially or open it as a hostelry. Modern developments have covenant preventing commercial vehicles caravans and 'sleeping vans' being parked. This is mainly to keep an attractive outlook whilst the properties are being sold,once the estate his sold the covenant stays but is usually forgotten about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
preventing commercial vehicles caravans and 'sleeping vans' being parked. This is mainly to keep an attractive outlook whilst the properties are being sold,once the estate his sold the covenant stays but is usually forgotten about.

Is this still the case now. Re sleeping vans

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
preventing commercial vehicles caravans and 'sleeping vans' being parked. This is mainly to keep an attractive outlook whilst the properties are being sold,once the estate his sold the covenant stays but is usually forgotten about.

Is this still the case now. Re sleeping vans

The definition of caravan in English law includes motor caravans. Basically, a landowner can include any covenant he likes when selling land. That may be to comply with planning regulations but may also be to prevent competition (as with the brewery).

As regards legislation in general (ignoring my somewhat flippant earlier remark) it is put in place to try to balance the (often conflicting) needs of different sections of the population. The extent to which it achieves that varies.

As regards smoking in pubs, the reason was to prevent health risks to staff from passive smoking rather than to tell a landlord what he should do or provide any advantage to non-smoking customers. Opinions may differ as to whether the balance is correct in that case but (as with any other legislation) those who hold it is not have every right to research and promote evidence to support their case and try to have the law changed.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
One law that has come in recently is smoking in pubs, now I am not a smoker and don't particularly like it where I am, but how can anyone tell a pub keeper if he can let people smoke in his own pub, it's up to customers not to goin if they don't like it, and that is not the end what are they going to come up with next.

I was with you on some of the planning things....but smoking...:Eeek:

I watched my gran, mum, uncle and 2 good friends die due to smoking....before anyone jumps up and cries "foul" - the debate may well still rage about passive smoking, but i personally have no doubt that it does cause issues....

So how do you prevent smokers from polluting the air of non smokers?
What about the poor non smoking workers who work in our pubs n clubs - are they supposed to just accept the risk?

If you want to smoke - you still can - outside the pub!

From cancer research;
"Today, tobacco consumption is recognised as the UK’s single greatest cause of preventable illness and early death, with an estimated 102,000 people dying in 2009 from smoking-related diseases including cancers"

From Oxfrod Research;
"The most recent cost estimates for the direct healthcare impact of smoking are based on 1991 data, and range from £1.4 to £1.7 billion a year, with an annual death toll in excess of 105,000 up to 2002."

The weight of evidence is very much on the side that passive smoking can kill those exposed to it for extended periods.....so I agree with banning smoking in public places.

I now actually goto pubs more :)

Whilst we do not always appreciate these changes to out lives sometimes there are good reasons for it.....although not always.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I quite agree with you as I said at the beginning of my post, what I was meaning why is it that someone can tell you what to do in your own place , that was the quickest example I could think of.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was with you on some of the planning things....but smoking...:Eeek:

I watched my gran, mum, uncle and 2 good friends die due to smoking....before anyone jumps up and cries "foul" - the debate may well still rage about passive smoking, but i personally have no doubt that it does cause issues....

So how do you prevent smokers from polluting the air of non smokers?
What about the poor non smoking workers who work in our pubs n clubs - are they supposed to just accept the risk?

If you want to smoke - you still can - outside the pub!

From cancer research;
"Today, tobacco consumption is recognised as the UK’s single greatest cause of preventable illness and early death, with an estimated 102,000 people dying in 2009 from smoking-related diseases including cancers"

From Oxfrod Research;
"The most recent cost estimates for the direct healthcare impact of smoking are based on 1991 data, and range from £1.4 to £1.7 billion a year, with an annual death toll in excess of 105,000 up to 2002."

The weight of evidence is very much on the side that passive smoking can kill those exposed to it for extended periods.....so I agree with banning smoking in public places.

I now actually goto pubs more :)

Whilst we do not always appreciate these changes to out lives sometimes there are good reasons for it.....although not always.
Sorry to shoot off at a tangent from the original thread :Blush:

after almost 6 years thats become an accepted (but we dont have to approve) part of being a smoker and a pub user but.......

wait until the warmer months are with us and non-smokers invade the beer garden then complain about the 'horrid smell of smoke' outside.

smokers are in a no win situation.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to shoot off at a tangent from the original thread :Blush:

after almost 6 years thats become an accepted (but we dont have to approve) part of being a smoker and a pub user but.......

wait until the warmer months are with us and non-smokers invade the beer garden then complain about the 'horrid smell of smoke' outside.

smokers are in a no win situation.

Spot on.

I was in a terrace of a restaurant in St Ives last year. Pretentious little joint with a pretentious little owner. We were the only table left at lunchtime so I lit up. Completely open space, nice sea breeze and no other people around. " Sorry sir , we don't permit smoking on the terrace at lunchtime, but you are welcome to smoke with drinks from 3 pm onwards"

So it's ok to poison drinkers but not non-existant diners.

Bloody daft.

I politely argued with her until I had finished my fag.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back