Free Member
Apr 24, 2013
Ackworth
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello, just in the process of looking for/buying a motorhome.
I've been advised by a lad at work who's been an owner for several years that Auto Trail is a good choice, so I hope to view a 634 Cheyenne soon, so any pointers would be welcome, ie common faults, what to look for etc, etc.
I've looked at a few general guides, but any pointers are more than welcome.
Many thanks.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hello, just in the process of looking for/buying a motorhome.
I've been advised by a lad at work who's been an owner for several years that Auto Trail is a good choice, so I hope to view a 634 Cheyenne soon, so any pointers would be welcome, ie common faults, what to look for etc, etc.
I've looked at a few general guides, but any pointers are more than welcome.
Many thanks.

you do not say the age REG or mile age of the 634
the more info the better we can advise

with any motor home DAMP is the KILLER
check every join wall to roof wall to floor
in all and any place you can get too
any sign of DAMP however slight
walk away
do not think it just a little bit as alittle bit is an expensive repair

oh an other wee bit of advice

DO NOT EAT YELLOW SNOW !!!

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I would advise looking around lots and lots of different makes and layouts before taking a final decision - we are all different and what one person likes another often doesn't. Also if you've no experience of motorhomes or caravans might be worth borrowing or hiring first.

Having chosen a layout I would then look at makes that provide that layout.

Do you want an overcab bed? Or a drop down bed like an A-Class? How many berths? Do you want a fixed bed? Is overall size and / or weight important to you? Will you be going mainly in the UK or abroad? If the latter be aware that staying in Aires etc have no mains, and many continental sites have very low amperage so you may not be able to use kit like microwaves.

Nothing against Autotrail but they tend to be heavy which may or may not be an issue for you. (may be an issue if your licence does not cover over 3500kg)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I would spend quite some time looking in and out at as many vans as you possibly can. Bit by bit you will then start to work out the sort of van that will best suit your intended lifestyle. You need to consider the sort of trips you will make. How many people will be travelling. What living space will be comfortable for you, what storage space you need. Try to imagine being in the van in auddy field with rain dashing down. Will you cope in that van or not. I've heard people say here that it takes 3 vans before you start to get the choice right and I believe that. There are so many options available you do need first to think what your needs are likely to be. Don't rush, it's a big investment. Perhaps hire a van for a few days, test the water. You will love it once you have the right van.

OP
OP
G

GavW

Free Member
Apr 24, 2013
Ackworth
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the replies. The van is a 2002 with 28,000 on the clock.
I've been steered towards the Auto Trails by a bloke at work who says the interior quality is good, so that probably (but not necessarily) ties in with the weight.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
First thing

The one thing that people forget to do but I advise them to do it first is;
Sit in the driving seat!
very few buyers do this and only look at the interior. After 1/2 an hour loving the vehicle etc they then realise at 6Ft 6in they will never fit in the driving seat!!!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
While realising you are a newby, I would not place too much reliance on what a bloke at work says. It is your decision and you need to look at all the vans you can find, and see how they will fit in with how you want to live.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have an Auto-Trail and would advise you to have a good look around at all the other makes and layouts before you plunge in.
There are loads of MHs for sale, so don't just buy the first one you look at.
Read my thread titled "Auto-Trail woes". Use the search function to find it.

Then make your own mind up. :thumb:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
First off, I am still in the market looking myself, but as a fellow noob, I can tell you a few things about my experience thus far;

Some ppl LOVE their brand/layout and rave about that - thankfully here, the guys just tell it as it is, lots of very sound advice.

I went to look at some at a dealers first, looked around them - stood in the shower (is it big enough for me) - looked at the seating and bedding arrangements...

A few things that are important to me;
Fixed bed - i dont wanna be packing it up every morning!
Seperate Shower - i dont want to have to wipe it all down after i shower...
Space - I plan to live in mine 4 days a week minimum...
Decent cooking space - i am a foodie and love to cook....

Those are just some things I figured for myself .....i then spent hours trawling this site for other info...gas conversions, solar power, water purifiers...the list goes on!

I realised that not all MH's are properly winterised - i.e. set up for you to live in once the temp drops below freezing - so I am looking at a Euro home, rather than a britbox.

These are just my thoughts, as all will point out, you have to think about what will work for you, your family, where your going, how long you will live in the van, wild camping or sites, UK or abroad. This should guide you towards a good van for you.

Dont be fixed on a brand before you figure what you need. I'd seen those Hymers about and thought "ugly" - now I know its exactly what i want !!:ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Gav

Your initial concerns is to ensure you are buying from the owner! Then that it's the precise layout you require. You cannot really base a buying decision on what someone says about a brand. Motorhomes are generally more than the sum of their parts, but some are dogs, and every maker let's the odd dog loose upon us now and then. Forget the make, it's all about layout, that is to say the way the cooking/sleeping/washing/lounge/storage etc are configured.

The layout is THE NO 1 reason for most who change motorhomes, so getting it right first time can save you a lot of money. Next thing to worry about is damp, look (and smell) for it, buying a damp motorhome can be a costly mistake. These three points are the biggies, but there is much more.

There's not much you can take for granted when buying a motorhome so do be careful. There is so much to consider; I wrote a book about it. Link Removed

This forum is a great place to ask questions, don't be shy, just ask away. There is a lot of experience here from buyers and dealers. Best of luck:thumb: And welcome to the fun::bigsmile:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Welcome and good luck in your search. Really cannot add anymore than has already been posted. Look many times and research properly and then hopefully buy once.
No matter what make and model you look at there will be people with different views. Check it out thoroughly and then hopefully you will be joining us all out on the road.:thumb::thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
remember what maybe ok for a friend doesn't mean its ok for you look around and take your time till you see what YOU WANT sometimes it can takes ages i reckon we was looking for around 2 years before we decided its what we want and the van was what we wanted good luck

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Hi Gav,

we bought our first motorhome in March and although many people say you may have to buy three before you get the one thats perfect for you we don't have that option. We spent many months looking and reading information before making a decision as to what type we wanted. Then I put on my pessimistic head and start looking for negative reviews (I do this with almost anything of importance that I buy) I don't let little niggles worry me but sometimes something is pointed out that you had never considered.

I think you have to bear in mind that is almost impossible to have everything you want unless you have a bottomless pit of money. Compromises often have to be made, but as long as it doesn't become too much of a list you should be ok. Living in this way is always going to be a compromise and you have to recognise that, but if you have the right frame of mind that's part of the fun of it.
There is loads of good, useful advice on here. I would just reiterate what people have said and don't rush in to it even though its exciting knowing this is part of a lovely plan you have.

Just to add a message for Deckard, I too thought Hymers ugly -' chip van':ROFLMAO: I labelled the B544 when I first saw one. Now I own one and love the quirky look.

Debs

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi Gav W I've got a euro box it's an Autotrail I love it !
Perfect layout for us, good build quality,I'm still young enough to spend 5mins making bed up and when it's down all that extra space.Oh dear it's not fully winterised but I don't do much camping in the alps,here in good old blighty it copes ok with temps of minus 4or 5,well it did the one time we tried it!
It's our first van and I'd seen loads been to shows and wanted one long enough to know what I wanted.You CAN get it right first time just do your homework!
Remember taste and opinions are personal things,suit yourself and happy travels.

Vlad

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Agree with all previous posts layout and if it feels right then buy the Hymer, white ones are favourite colour at moment. awwwww whatever just have some fun

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
And the most important tip?

All the previous posters have given you some top tips... much sound advice methinks.

THE most important tip however has not been mentioned yet, so it falls to me, another newbie, to proffer it.......

What you really need to do is to SUBSCRIBE to Motofhome Fun. That £10 will be the best value you will ever spend, and you'll get it back many times over in the full use of the site, access to the best advice and tips, practical help, discounts with genuinely above average traders/dealers, invites to meets/rallies. You just can't go wrong.:thumb:

Simon

(Have I over-sold it? I was aiming for subtlety....)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We tugged for years and eventually found the layout we (she) liked.
When moving to a MH the same layout was needed so research showed an Autotrail 635 was the one. Front lounge, mid-kitchen and end wash-room and it must have a separate shower. Two or 4 berth not an issue.
So I found this Swift Kontiki 650 ! ! (2 berth) which is almost identical and we bought it as it was the right price, private at £24k and dealers wanting £28k.
Then found 3 things different to the Autotrail, (1) longer and just gets on the drive, (2) so greater ferry costs and (3) do you have a C1 licence and any other persons that may drive? as it is over 3500 kgs. Those 3 things to me were insignificant but storage may be an issue for you, then some insurance companies ask where is it stored and may be reluctant to insure.
Leave credit cards and rose tinted glasses at home and do your homework.
Go to a MH show and viisit dealers. Ask yourself what is important to you.
Good luck and and most importantly, ENJOY

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
As stressed by others don't jump in and live to regret it. We spent almost 18 months looking at motor homes before finally deciding we'd found our ideal choice/compromise an Auto Trail Tracker. Lovely little van and it was a shame to part with it after 2.5 years, but shortly after purchase and touring for several weeks on end some doubts started to surface especially with lack of storage and latterly with layout.

List your priorities, visit dealers, test beds/ or making them up, consider your storage requirements, research payloads and above all take a test drive its so far removed from driving a car or van.

As also said 10 squids for your membership here could save you a serious amount of dosh, :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back