Everywhere but Croatia? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi everyone, is it just me or is anyone facing the same problem. My insurance agents are saying that i am insured to travel in the EU but wont cover me for Croatia. I therefore either have to cancel the whole insurance and try to find a company which covers a wider cover to european countries not in the EU. Any advices would be appreciated, thankyou,
:Sad:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Can you not by insurance at the border?

I dont know we dont have that problem here i am insured full stop.

Mel

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wouldn't have even thought about it, thought of heading that way, shall have to check now, let you know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As I leave for Bulgaria on Saturday I had the same problem with transiting Croatia and Serbia. Having checked my policy with Saga it does say am covered, BUT having researched the net there are obviously problems re insurance in Croatia. I have decided to transit Hungary and Romania instead. Several forums are suggesting that Croatia is charging for insurance at the border at exorbitant rates.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
As I leave for Bulgaria on Saturday I had the same problem with transiting Croatia and Serbia. Having checked my policy with Saga it does say am covered, BUT having researched the net there are obviously problems re insurance in Croatia. I have decided to transit Hungary and Romania instead. Several forums are suggesting that Croatia is charging for insurance at the border at exorbitant rates.
Just another rip off
i would change my plans and not be a mug

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes mines saga, and it does include Croatia. So I don't see a problem:cry:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
My current insurance (Saga) clearly states Croatia is coverd. I have been there twice without any queries at the border.

Croatia joins the EU in June or is it July this year so would have to be included for at least 3rd party.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Most companies will issue green cards for non eu countries - if yours won't then you are with the wrong company!

I would do that rather than buy at border - personally I would always worry whether insurance bought at the border really did cover my van rather than just the legal min.

The other thing that may be more difficult to solve is the vehicle breakdown cover, which does not necessarily apply to the same countries as the main insurance. Croatia may be a problem for that perhaps.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Safeguard cover Croatia, Fully Comp, as well as Morocco. They now also cover Serbia.

If you want Fully Comp cover for Albania, Bosnia, Macedonia and Montenegro Fully Comp the only one is Caravan Guard, ironically and perhaps Saga.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We're with Safeguard and cover for Croatia is included although not listed in the list of countries in the details booklet. I specifically asked if it was covered , they confirmed it was and at my request sent me an email to confirm this.
Cover for Bosnia however is not provided by many insurance companies and we tried to buy at the border with no joy - we chose to get the ferry across to the island and drive that way down to Dubrovnik.
We did have cause to use breakdown cover whilst in Croatia through our insurance policy (it was AA cover) with no problems , in fact they were very helpful:thumb:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
We're with Safeguard and cover for Croatia is included although not listed in the list of countries in the details booklet. I specifically asked if it was covered , they confirmed it was and at my request sent me an email to confirm this.
Cover for Bosnia however is not provided by many insurance companies and we tried to buy at the border with no joy - we chose to get the ferry across to the island and drive that way down to Dubrovnik.
We did have cause to use breakdown cover whilst in Croatia through our insurance policy (it was AA cover) with no problems , in fact they were very helpful:thumb:

Thanks for that. I'm with Safeguard, & its BOSNIA that is the issue. If you want to travel down to Dubrovnik, then its a ferry to bypass the 10kms of Bosnia in the way.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In situations like this it does pay to do your homework. With the internet it is soooo simple now. There are other forums out there other than fun specific to travel in other countries which give up to date information for the traveller that wants more than mainland southern Europe. I realise that some will have travelled to Croatia with no problems BUT it only takes one bolshi border guard and you are in deep do do. Its not much use quoting chapter and verse to some foreigner that does not speak English when he wants a baksheesh. I speak from experience :Smile:.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Croatia is not on the list of my breakdown thingy from quote line direct but the policy is axa have to look into it

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
In situations like this it does pay to do your homework. With the internet it is soooo simple now. There are other forums out there other than fun specific to travel in other countries which give up to date information for the traveller that wants more than mainland southern Europe. [HI]I realise that some will have travelled to Croatia with no problems BUT it only takes one bolshi border guard and you are in deep do do. Its not much use quoting chapter and verse to some foreigner that does not speak English when he wants a baksheesh. [/HI] I speak from experience :Smile:.

Exactly. Lots of people said we could buy insurance at the border no problem but the border guards were having none of it, whatever anyone else said. Nothing we could do - having tried to buy insurance they knew we didn't have any so no go there.
However, taking the small Ro-Ro ferry over to the island and driving that way was actually really good, we stopped at some campsites on the way and saw things we wouldn't have seen otherwise! It wasn't too big a diversion either.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I lived in Croatia for 5 years and worked in Germany and crossed the boarders all the time. I never had an issue as the Green Card automatically had Croatia as one of the countries you could enter and transit

I know they don’t technically do Green Cards any more, but even when they switched them of the Policy had a list of countries you could visit and Croatia was one of them::bigsmile:

It might well be that your particular Insurance Company don’t or wont cover it for whatever reason, so you'll have to either take out a separate insurance for entering the country, change insurance companies and policies, or simply just not go and tour down the other side of the Adriatic in Italy where the population are friendlier, the roads better and its just as hot and sunny (also the girls are better looking and don’t look like their dads.....I know after 5 years :thumb:)

Hope you get it sorted out and happy Motorhoming ::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

Deleted User
My insurance is with Comfort and I checked with them this year to make sure we are covered for Croatia as we are looking to go later in the summer. Fully covered but not able to drive to Dubrovnic as entails a short spurt through Bosnia which is not covered. Would be interested to know if anybody has trouble.

spongy

OP
OP
Mr Ed
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Croatia

Thank's for all of your inputs I will take all of your positive comments on board and probably end up going straight to Romania and Bulgaria and then decide what to do by the usual means of rolling the dice.:Doh::Doh:

NickMacdonald

Free Member
Apr 24, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Talbot compass
Exp
Insurance problems but will the little ferry help a bit?

Thanks for that. I'm with Safeguard, & its BOSNIA that is the issue. If you want to travel down to Dubrovnik, then its a ferry to bypass the 10kms of Bosnia in the way.

Is the ferry that bypasses this bit of Bosnia straightforward ? Do you need to pre book / how regular and big is it?

I have a 8 metre camper and want to leave hvar on the ferry to drevnik in the morning and get to dubrovnik the same evening ... (11th August). This little bit of Bosnia is a slight problem....

My insurance covers Croatia (Zurich via coast), but not Albania, Montenegro or Bosnia. Caravanguard seem to be the only company that will cover these but they are more than £300 a year more than I currently pay, plus a £27 green card. Any other suggestions very welcome as quite fancied a quick visit to albania whilst thereabouts although will be running out of time by then....

Ps ... I'm a newbie to this site so please be kind!!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Is the ferry that bypasses this bit of Bosnia straightforward ?
Do you need to pre book / how regular and big is it?
I have a 8 metre camper an!

Very easy.
You get the ferry at Ploce - it's a roll on roll off ferry and you just park in the que and buy a ticket from the ferry office opposite the quayside. Its only a small local port. Our van is 7.5 mtr and was no problem - there were lorries bigger than us. It cost about £30 ish (can't remember exactly and my diaries are at home!) The boat is not huge but takes a lot of vehicles, there are several a day so if you can't get on the first one then you will be first in line for the next one. There is a seating area up top to admire the views.
We bought a single, the trip takes about 45mins. We camped at the north of the island for a couple of days in sites before driving off at the south end back onto the mainland. The drive from northe to south takes around 3/4 hr I think but there is a nice town at the bottom to stop in and have a look round - very historic, specializing in oysters with parking spaces off the main rd for big vans.
Glad we did it rather than just drive along the coast.
Hope this helps
jacky

NickMacdonald

Free Member
Apr 24, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Talbot compass
Exp
Very helpful jacky... Just one question. You say you stayed on an island. Do you mean hvar or another one? Or is ploce on an island that I hadn't yet realised? Also, Did you get any further south from Dubrovnik ref insurance problems thanks...

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Ploce is on the mainland just above where Boznia comes into Croatia . You get the ferry across to Trpanj on Peljesac island. You can the drive to the south of the island which joins on to mainland Croatia the other side of the Bosnia bit. We stopped in ston for a walk round then went on to Dubrovnik didn't go any further as didn't have insurance.

Just a thought but my blog is on the forum so you could read about it all and the rest of our trip in that.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back