Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We have just had a visit from the community police about our MH blocking the pavement. There have been 3 complaints to the police and council. It has only been parked there 5 days, the rest we have been away. Someone has it in for us it seems.

Our old van was 3ft shorter and got no complaints. We are NOT causing an obstruction. There is plenty of room to get around it. The irony is that hubby has to go out into the road on his mobility scooter, to get round other cars parked on the pavement not 100 yards down the road. So we are very mindful of not causing an obstruction. The 2nd irony is that we live in a cul de sac, with little to no traffic and just 8 houses beyond us. There is absolutely no danger to anyone at any level. I just don't get it. I've now been threatened with a £30 ticket every day, every police shift, until I get it sorted.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Stinks of a jealous neighbour to me... :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
We have just had a visit from the community police about our MH blocking the pavement. There have been 3 complaints to the police and council. It has only been parked there 5 days, the rest we have been away. Someone has it in for us it seems.

Our old van was 3ft shorter and got no complaints. We are NOT causing an obstruction. There is plenty of room to get around it. The irony is that hubby has to go out into the road on his mobility scooter, to get round other cars parked on the pavement not 100 yards down the road. So we are very mindful of not causing an obstruction. The 2nd irony is that we live in a cul de sac, with little to no traffic and just 8 houses beyond us. There is absolutely no danger to anyone at any level. I just don't get it. I've now been threatened with a £30 ticket every day, every police shift, until I get it sorted.

Sadly you will have to move it.

But i would complain about every car not parked as it should be. Every blockage, everything. Do unto others as they do unto you ( i think thats the saying???)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to say, but if any part of your van is on the footpath you ARE causing an obstruction, even if there is plenty of room ...and its an offence...civil if not legal.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Sorry to say, but if any part of your van is on the footpath you ARE causing an obstruction, even if there is plenty of room ...and its an offence...civil if not legal.

What about my wing mirror?
It over hangs the path a little.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What about my wing mirror?
It over hangs the path a little.
then dont park your wing mirror on the pavement :thumb:

as you well know, i was referring to wheels being on the footpath :Doh::roflmto: ...but if you were to reverse the rear end overhang over the path with the wheels on the road that would also be obstruction.

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Had a thought
six foot of motorhome overhang sticking out my drive completely blocking the pavement is okay? :Eeek:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Sadly you will have to move it.

But i would complain about every car not parked as it should be. Every blockage, everything. Do unto others as they do unto you ( i think thats the saying???)

why not look for a temporary storage ?
im sure someone on here can help.
Then is your disability sticker valid for the motorhome
and what can your council do to help [HI] plus scream for the local papers.[/HI]

"Disabled victim etc"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just winding you up :ROFLMAO:
these scarborians, :RollEyes:

Eer !!!! i see from your avatar you have more than your mirror on the path....:RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Sounds like it is time to complain about the others that block the pavement then?

I do get a bit upset when I happen across vehicles on pavements though.
Man years ago my sister had twins and the number of times she had to leave big scratch marks down the side of vehicles parking on the pavement rather than risking traffic hitting her children was frustrating. She even got a nasty bruise on her elbow once when a wing mirror didn't move quick enough.:Doh:

Now my mother has a seriously bad hip (in hospital at the moment for 2nd of 3 ops) She refuses point blank to get a mobility scooter because she doesn't 'need' one. She does however have to cross where there are lowered kerbs. When someone parks on the path it means she has to struggle down the kerb and runs the serious risk of falling over and not being able to get back up.

Not sure about your situation with cul de sac etc. However, have you considered you may actually be causing an obstruction for someone and creating problems for them? I am not having a pop as I don't know the full details but just trying to see things from both sides of the lane so to speak...

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Eer !!!! i see from your avatar you have more than your mirror on the path....:RollEyes:

Thats a layby right outside my house, it Was used when the road was a main road, now a bypass has been built its a dead end.
The path is on the other side of the grass before the fence seen in the background

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thats a layby right outside my house, it Was used when the road was a main road, now a bypass has been built its a dead end.
The path is on the other side of the grass before the fence seen in the background

We only have your word on that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't get upset, get even! Just ensure that they don't have anything to complain about ... park fully on the road (assuming you won't block it) then they don't have anything to try to 'do' you for which will REALLY annoy them, more so than anything 'wrong' you do, then, if as I suspect, they complain again, they'll be the ones who are at the receiving end being told off for wasting Police time. :thumb:

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Thanks so much for your support. You have no idea just how much it actually helps. Thanks everyone. I really mean that. Must turn from victim to master on this.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not having a go at anybody but obstruction is obstruction. Even parking on the road is, strictly speaking, obstructing the highway. That's apart from any covenants which might apply to private property.

The motive for somebody reporting a case of obstruction might be jealousy but that is immaterial. A report will not be taken forward by council/police unless the behaviour complained of has some element of being wrong.

Whether we like it or not, parking large vehicles at home is not a design element of most domestic properties or the roads which serve them and, certainly not, footpaths. The bottom line is that if we insist on owning/using large vehicles it is up to us to ensure that nobody else is inconvenienced. If that means that parking at home is impractical then the consequence of our choice is to use a storage facility.

In exactly the same way, the parking of "ordinary" cars wholly or partly on the pavement is also indefensible if it causes problems for others. As for parking across dropped kerbs, that is an offence in its own right.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Suprised no one has said it, but why not simply park it in the road..
Yes, it will be a reet pain in the nether regions for some but it will be legal ( unless it is no parking on the road that is ! )

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
parking

its sad to say that someone is very ljealous. mine is a large van 22ft long and parked outside my house on the road ihave affront garden I was going to tarmac so I could park it there but its too long to fit in so as to stay on the road I don't have to park it on the pavement as its a wide road but I do worry as some neighbours seem to shun us since weve bought it and you never know what people will do when their jealous steve

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I am quite amazed that the community police turned up, because of the local hospital we get a lot of parked vehicles in our avenue which is a through road with a hospital entrance on it.
6 months or so 4 cars were parked opposite (cars already parked on our side) all 4 were completely on the pavement about 1 foot from the neighbours fence.

I phoned the council, is there any road markings i.e yellow lines.
No i said, well there's nothing we can do about it, phone the community police.
So i did only to get a recorded message " this answer phone is checked at least once a day, please leave a message.
What a total waste of time they are.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It does seem unlikely that the local community police are going to target you every day with tickets but your van... Once complained about will fall into their new anti social behaviour criteria and they have to be seen to take some sort of action. Parking was decriminalised some time ago though and is now normally dealt with by the council... As I found out a few months ago when our 7.4m van attracted a £130 council parking ticket for overhanging the drive.. In a cul de sac off a crescent.. Blocking access for no one other than us. We ended up knocking the bike shed down on the drive and pulled it back a few more feet... Still a small overhang but they are leaving us alone now. We're convinced it was a busybody neighbour who complained as there has never been a problem before but what can we do... Technically we were in the wrong... Life's a little too short to develop a chip and become all obsessed over this stuff..
Seems like you're just going to have to move your van in some way to comply with the local bylaws or parking restrictions as best you can..

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

sorry to hear of your dilemma,but welcome to the world of the of jealous curtain twitches,you know the sort,they are the ones that lead a very sad life with nothing better to do than preach laws and regulations,to anyone that will listen,they are the ones that think they commit no offences ever,they are the ones that feel warm and cosy when they report someone(always anomalously) for some petty little thing,and think they made a difference to society,but all the while thinking that they have got one over on someone else:Sad:
why oh why? when neighbours have a problem with each other,can they not just tap the door and discuss, instead of reporting each other:Sad:
its a sad sad country we are living in:Sad: a wannabe policeman behind every curtain:cry:

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I would park it on the road, however it isnt really wide enough for it and a reversing dustcart. That could be a very expensive parking charge. We have a very wide grass verge after the pavement, and our drive extends this length, from the road to our double garage. The pathway is half way up. One of the police suggested parking across the drive, rather than up the drive, on the road side of the pavement. Getting her on there will be a juggling act, but I'll give it a go and see if more complaints ensue. Other than that, its either dig up the front garden and create hard standing, or storage. There is storage about 20 miles away, I think at Cranfield. Shall check it out.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Suprised no one has said it, but why not simply park it in the road..
Yes, it will be a reet pain in the nether regions for some but it will be legal ( unless it is no parking on the road that is ! )

Not quite so, John.
As Graham has indicated, no one has the right to park on the highway, be that outside their own property or otherwise.
Obstructing the passage of vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or the acces to / egress from premises is the same offence.
The problem is it's so widespread as to be almost unpoliceable.
The offence of obstruction, which whilst attracting a fine, is not endorseable.
(As opposed to parking in a dangerous position).
We are clearly talking about obstruction here.

It seems the other vehicles mentioned parked on the road or on the footpath are also obstructing the highway.
If the neighbours cant be reasonable, fight fire with fire and complain to the Police.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Well, she is now parked parallel to the road. All wheels are on our drive, however the overhang encroaches over the grass by a few feet. I imagine there will be complaints from the council grass cutter next. Still we have complied with removing any possibility of obstruction.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
You have my sympathy. We too, live in a cul de sac, about 400 yards long, where the norm is for cars to park with wheels on pavement. The remaining spaces are wide enough to get a wheelchair or double buggy through, and so peace generally reigns. Then one day I had two CSPOs visit, to advise they had received a complaint about my son's car being pavement parked. I pointed out the legions of lawbreakers along the length of the street, but they merely advised that once a complaint had been received it had to be followed up. My son had to move his car or risk a fine.

Since that day I have religiously parked fully on the road, no matter how many problems it causes for neighbours. The motorhome just fits on the drive, or that would be out there as well! In your case, I would let your neighbours know what has happened, and advise them that, reluctantly, you feel advised to file a complaint about every car on the street that is pavement-parked.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When these disputes arise the first place to look is the Highway Code.. which has clear guidance and rules about waiting and parking.. if you are breaking any of the rules (I'm Not judging your case) .. them I'm afraid you are in the wrong..

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/waiting-and-parking-238

One rule which some motorhome owners may be unaware of is the requirement to have parking lights on if the vehicle is over 1525 kg

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
[HI]Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.[/HI]
Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, she is now parked parallel to the road. All wheels are on our drive, however the overhang encroaches over the grass by a few feet. I imagine there will be complaints from the council grass cutter next. Still we have complied with removing any possibility of obstruction.

Hopefully, now that you have followed the suggestion of the police officer, you will have no more problems.

Just in case it is a matter of jealousy though, rather than someone's genuine concern about obstruction, they may still complain if there is a local TRO preventing parking on an access crossing a verge (which is part of the highway rather than being part of a private drive).

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Parking

Have you considered this.

If the other people who live nearby are normal (ish) not ASBO types why not go to each in turn and simply say that someone has complained about your motorhome, how upset you are to have caused annoyance, not accusing them of course. Explain that you want to ensure that you don't cause any inconvenience and ask if how it is parked now causes any problem for them.

I expect that they all will say, "No problem" even the ones who made the complaint, since they re not likely to want to admit it. Should they have a problem you will have found your complainant. Ask then to come and show you what it is so you can park in a way which does not offend.

You are bound to speak to the complainant at some point and because you are being as reasonable and helpful as you can, might it be that you might shame them in to never complaining again.

I would be against making complaints yourself, as has been suggested, about snything and everything because i think that is a first class was of escalating he problem and causing more upset which will be ongoing

If you are able to turn the tables and shame the complainers into doing nothing more and at the same time getting support from those who genuinely do not mind your parking and have them on your side you might have fund a solution.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back