LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just wondering what others thought of the Peterborough show?

Not the bit that goes hand in hand with camping with Funsters but the actual show itself?

personally I thought it was a very good show with a lot of stuff there. Some great new models to look at as well as plenty of used vans to tempt you in to something that you haven't got.

Also some nice imaginative ideas if not a waste of money. However this year we spent more on the dog than ourselves with her new harness.

Did anyone see the guy selling just one motorhome? what was that all about? a trader with just one van? an optomistic private seller with a van to sell? Anyone speak to him?

Of course the sunshine helped but it's good to see that after a wretched year last year at nearly all the shows, the Traders might just of made enough money to keep going :thumb:

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
It was our first time at the show (new to MH) could not believe how many MH was there,picked up a few things to. had a really good time:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we thought it was a great show its good to find loads of items to tempt us in 1 place also didn't think about re-upholstery till we went there so that's a bonus or not as the paying time arrives and when you consider what it costs to meet old friends and make new 1's including entertainment even if it is crap its a cheap weekend and unlike newark the sun was out added bonus :Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Good show...

One of the best I have been to for a while...:thumb:

My only criticism the general stalls seemed to be to spaced out.... you had a load of M/H sellers then a couple of general stalls.... tucked in between... and so on

If you are only going for odds & sods can be a nightmare trying to find a specific stall..

But that is only my thoughts..

maacracing

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We though it was a very good show, found a new van and bits and bobs meet lot of new people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Thought it was a great show, a few of the normal stalls missing, but given the amount of times I opened my purse that was a good thing! :ROFLMAO: I couldn't get a giant Fun mug :cry: hope there's some at Newbury :winky:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Also thought it was a good show, we arrived friday and had a very nice fish and chips, bought some cheeses from the Snowdonia cheese company:Smile: spicy, garlic and smoked which are really good:thumb: picked up a Diablo toasty making thingy and a pole for my flag:thumb: Three mugs from Jims stand, a drainer, a dehumidifier, torches, some crystals, the list goes on and on when shopping with Jane :ROFLMAO:

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We really enjoyed it. Some new traders which was nice. It was very spaced out though, splitting the smaller traders into two. I heard many people over by the clock tower side expressing disappointment at the limited number, not realising there were a huge number further over. A "More stands this way" sign at strategic places would be of benefit.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Reckon it was the best show we have been to for a good few years.. But yes, the weather is the biggy.. Decent weather with a bit of warmth around makes everything SOOO much better !

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
It sounds like you all had a good time
i missed it :cry:was going but got a tummy bug two days before
then the high winds hit :cry: :Blush:
not from my lower regions :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: the bloody hurricane winds blowing across the country:roflmto:

may be next year

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ok...

You all had a great time so...

Where are the photos? :Sad:

On the main forum... not hidden away in albums.

JJ :Cool:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
As this was only our second show Newark being the first
we ended with mixed feelings
The show was brilliant and with the selection of vans outstanding far better than Newark ,the entertainment on Friday was good Exept Buck's Fizz who I hate but Elaine enjoyed
Saturday night was a rip of 17 quid each no way both Elaine and I didn't think it was worth it and it was freezing in the decorated barn shed thing

We had a problem with Elaine getting time of work as she has to arrange her own cover and this was not sorted until Monday so we had to pay on gate and ended up in the general red 3 area right at bottom
When we walked up into funsters area and realised how much space was unused it would have been quite easy to fit in more vans but rules are rules
I know it our fault but when your not in with the group it's not quite the same and we felt sort of excluded again our fault entirely just a bit of shame as there was some people I did want to introduce ourselves to

All in all yes we had a great time and we will be there next year but booked in early so we can get on fun area

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If I may be so bold as to give a traders view........................it was brilliant! We had an excellent show, I was flat out thursday afternoon, friday and saturday, probably spent less than an hour on the stand over those three days. Rest of time was out on the camping fields fixing/installing etc. Sunday was quieter which was ok as it allowed me to watch some of the BTCC racing then when show shut we retired to our mobile villa and watched the highlights of the F1 race which was great, passed out about 9pm last night and back to it today!

Here's hoping Newbury is as good!

D.

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Ok...

You all had a great time so...

Where are the photos? :Sad:

On the main forum... not hidden away in albums.

JJ :Cool:

Ooops, put a link on the main forum not in albums :Blush:
Would some kind soul like to move it?? Got to get my sleep ready for work tomorrow now :cry:

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Good show. Bought a few bits and pieces, a gadget that slips into the cd player so i can attach my sat nav/mob phone to, universal sink plug, oh, and a new 'van' in the last hour of business, with thanks to Glossop Caravans.:thumb: Haggers wait till you see my new Bessie :winky:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We too thought there were only a few stands to begin with.
Saw quite a few SOLD signs but also many vehicles knocked back by ÂŁ5K.
Was that a mark up then dropped, or a genuine need to generate a sale I wondered ?
I bought a "twin camera and display" reversing set to replace the large B & W thing that came with MH.
Also a selection of LEDs to replace the bulbs, but the highlight was a sucker and a thin bungee cord!
The clips that hold the hab. door are waste of plastic and I have nearly lost limbs when the wind blows doors shut. One small sucker on panel and bungee cord around door mechanism and sorted. Bought from the stand with the parrot, did anyone else spot its beak ??

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
We too thought there were only a few stands to begin with.
Saw quite a few SOLD signs but also many vehicles knocked back by ÂŁ5K.
Was that a mark up then dropped, or a genuine need to generate a sale I wondered ?
I bought a "twin camera and display" reversing set to replace the large B & W thing that came with MH.
Also a selection of LEDs to replace the bulbs, but the highlight was a sucker and a thin bungee cord!
The clips that hold the hab. door are waste of plastic and I have nearly lost limbs when the wind blows doors shut. One small sucker on panel and bungee cord around door mechanism and sorted. Bought from the stand with the parrot, did anyone else spot its beak ??

The parrot belongs to Jezpot a member on here :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We enjoyed the show etc. The turnout of traders/dealers, with a varied stock, seemed very good and we enjoyed the various traders of 'food' products - we got to sample the cheeses on one stall - the mango one was very nice - as well as having a bit of cheese and tomato toastie made with the Diablo toasted sarnie maker, all topped off by mushroom, green pepper and chicken cooked on the hob bbq grill stand (we've had one for years and they are really good). We've got a few bits and pieces including some reversing sensors/beepers for our new car ... I think hubby will have a duck fit when I get my drill out to fit them! Oh, also 12 x 3-tier cooking stands ... yes I did say 12 ... hubby has had some requests for them so he thought he'd get a few whilst we were there, although I did have to remind him that we don't have a coachbuilt with a garage now but surprisingly they all went in the van in the space under the centre of the bed which our folding bikes usually occupy.

There were a LOT of panel van conversion there, I've never seen so many, and lots of new layouts. There were also lots of coachbuilts too and I must admit we did 'drool' a bit over the new Burstners - the ones with the tailgates that lift up, with 2 layouts: the T640 with longitudinal rear single beds (6.3m), and T600 with a transverse rear bed (6.0m), both of which were only 2.10m wide, just 2 inches more than a Fiat panel van! They looked very nice indeed at ÂŁ49,000 and ÂŁ45,000 approx respectively in goldish coloured bodywork with a few extras thrown in for good measure ... the T600 is very similar to our PVC but in coachbuilt form. Tempted - you betcha! Daft enough to buy one - nope!!!

The weather on Friday was cool, and quite overcast. but on Saturday and Sunday it was very good indeed! Warm and sunny and not too much wind so able to discard jackets!

On Saturday we had a nice trip into Peterborough and hit the charity shops amongst other things then had another mooch round the show in the afternoon. On Sunday we partook of the "four Bs" ... bacon butties and banter breakfast with other funsters and it was nice to chat to some newbies. :thumb:

Whilst at the show we had a chat to a few traders and they were very happy with the rate of sales they'd had, we also spoke to one of the dealers who to had had a good show, many of the vans which had been sold were taken off at the end of each day and replaced with others which were then sold so the amount of sold signs on vans were only that day's sales for a lot of them.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
As others have noted, the weather made a massive difference!

I was a little confused by the layout of the traders stands, and at first thought that there was only one area not two.

Was there any sort of proper restaurant? If there was it wasn't immediately apparant and whilst there was a good selection of burger van types, the ample outside seating would have been very compromised by poor weather!

I very much enjoyed the show and would be happy to go next year (unlike Newark!)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have always enjoyed the Peterborough show.

There were some new stalls but quite a few missing too. We probably noticed this more because we always bought from them.

Didnt like the spread out layout as much this year.

Perhaps for next year the organisers can look at boosting the number of stalls.

The courtesy bus was helpful you just flagged it down and they took you anywhere you wanted - brilliant for the elderly and people with disabilities.

The security staff were much more friendly too.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have always enjoyed the Peterborough show.

There were some new stalls but quite a few missing too. We probably noticed this more because we always bought from them.

Didnt like the spread out layout as much this year.

Perhaps for next year the organisers can look at boosting the number of stalls.

The courtesy bus was helpful you just flagged it down and they took you anywhere you wanted - brilliant for the elderly and people with disabilities.

The security staff were much more friendly too.

Elaine commented how friendly all the staff on site were from cleaners to security what a pleasant surprise as when we have been to shows and concerts before normally it's like looking at bored miserable jobsworths

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We enjoyed it, and spent too much as usual. Still this will be our only show this year. Looks like a lot of the traders did really well. I spoke to the punctureseal bloke on Sunday and he had sold out of the gunge, luckily he did mine on Friday.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
If I may be so bold as to give a traders view........................it was brilliant! We had an excellent show, I was flat out thursday afternoon, friday and saturday, probably spent less than an hour on the stand over those three days. Rest of time was out on the camping fields fixing/installing etc. Sunday was quieter which was ok as it allowed me to watch some of the BTCC racing then when show shut we retired to our mobile villa and watched the highlights of the F1 race which was great, passed out about 9pm last night and back to it today!

Here's hoping Newbury is as good!

D.

i kept looking at your stall as i was going to say hi and you was never around still glad to hear it was a sucess for you

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
As others have noted, the weather made a massive difference!

I was a little confused by the layout of the traders stands, and at first thought that there was only one area not two.

Was there any sort of proper restaurant? If there was it wasn't immediately apparant and whilst there was a good selection of burger van types, the ample outside seating would have been very compromised by poor weather!

I very much enjoyed the show and would be happy to go next year (unlike Newark!)

I found the proper restaurant on Sunday (Peterborough suite) massive tasty roast dinner for only ÂŁ7:50 I just dont understand why it wasn't advertised better.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Same as alot of you are saying, we at first thought there was a lack of stalls! Once we got our bearings and had a good luck around I was impressed by the amount there was there. Unlike Newark!

It was a first for us to go to Peterborough and we will go again.
The list of items we nearly bought is long and distinguished, but i did manage to control my urge (mostly)

Did get thou, the amazing whizzing mop and bucket, a few peeps commented on the cheese stall and yes i agree they were tasty, so just had to purchase the smokey little number.
Some more Weirdfish, that there blue thing for cleaning up dog hairs and yes it does what it says on the tin.

Each time we made our way back to the van we appeared to have many white bags, just cannot remember what was in them.
I'm sure there was some more stuff, sat here scratching my head Oh yes one other thing, we got a RV :thumb:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
This was my third Peterborough show and my first with a van. It was quite a learning curve for me as I had to work out how to get things like heating and hot water working. Very grateful to Jock for his help and to Jaws who explained how I can extend my 12v tv lead. That's now sorted. Spent loads as I needed to get together a basic kit, including a table, windbreak, insulated screen cover, kettle and lots of bits and pieces. Had booked for Saturday night show but didn't go. Mainly because I was there on my own and felt a little out of place with so many couples. Next month when I retire my wife will be coming over from Portugal and then our motorhome days will really start. Now I am more confident to get things working without the added pressure of the boss standing over me!
On Tuesday I returned to work and from my office I can see the top of the main exhibition hall. Seems a bit surreal now knowing that that was where I lived for four days.

I am less interested in working and will find the next thirty odd days of work to drag. However, I will use my free time to get my van sorted and better organised and get prepared for our trip home to Portugal in June.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back