New member not yet a motor-homer (1 Viewer)

Redcavvy3

Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Barrow-in-Furness
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm. Newbie
Greeting to all, on Friday last my wife and I had our one and only accident after over 30 years of towing our caravan when travelling down a long steep hill on the A590 in Cumbria we were cut up by an overtaking car which ended with our car/van crashing into barrier.
We have decided that we will not travel that road towing a caravan again and are on the look out for motor home (when insurers payout that is).
We live in SW Cumbria (Irish Sea coast) and would like to know of good motor home dealers somewhere near to us.

:Smile::thanks2::thanks2:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, sorry to hear about your accident, good decision to look for a motorhome, lots of ex tuggers on here, only a few I think would go back to a caravan :Smile:

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Greeting to all, on Friday last my wife and I had our one and only accident after over 30 years of towing our caravan when travelling down a long steep hill on the A590 in Cumbria we were cut up by an overtaking car which ended with our car/van crashing into barrier.
We have decided that we will not travel that road towing a caravan again and are on the look out for motor home (when insurers payout that is).
We live in SW Cumbria (Irish Sea coast) and would like to know of good motor home dealers somewhere near to us.

:Smile::thanks2::thanks2:

sorry about the accident but at least it has made you see sense and get a motorhome - welcome and enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
opp5

Bad news over the accident.

But all vehicles are metal and plastic.

The main thing is you are OK

Welcome to fun loads of help on here.

:welcome:

Mel &Lieve

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry to hear about your accident, and hoping you are all both okay.

Look privately as well as dealers and ask away on fun for advice.

There are so many layouts if you arent in a hurry try the motorhome show at carmarthen.

There is also one further south at Newbury about 18th May if you fancy travelling that way.

Use the shows to choose layouts and make sure you try out the beds, some vary in sizes

Good luck and welcome to fun

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sorry to hear about your bump, it's probably for the better as now you are Funsters and in search of a new adventure:Smile:

Get yourself to a show, look across the Internet at places such as Autotrader and EBay and do a review of layouts, engine sizes, widths, heights, lengths and weights and then you'll have a far better option. There have been a number of recent posts asking exactly that same question, so look to review what's been posted there too.......best bit is :flyingwelcome:

You've found us and seen the light :thumb::thumb::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi both, and welcome to Funsters. As you can see the advice is flying in already. We not from that way on so cannot help you with actual dealers in your area. To be honest you will probably find most of us have travelled varying distances to find the right one. Your better off searching for the type of MH you want along with the layout that you want then start looking to see where abouts in the UK you can find one or two (or three) to go and view. Its a big financial commitment to alot of us, so don't rush it, but enjoy the experience.
questions to ask yourself which may help decide which is the right van for you are:
How many Belted seats you are after (will you have others travelling with you)
Do you want a fixed bed or are you happy to make one up every night, or even have a over cab bed (often if you go for non fixed bed then you will get more lounging space)
what length are you happy driving (thats a man thing) etc etc etc.,

and I am sure other funsters will add to the "Questions you must ask yourself"...

Good Luck, but above all else Enjoy! :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
all things happen for a reason
so may be this is your silver lining
motor home life is great
check out as many as you can
make a detailed list of what you want
fixed bed? u shaped lounge?
how long, how many births
as making the wrong choice is a very expensive mistake

i started with a Mercedes a class had a few euro motor homes moved on to a yank tank in 2009
best thing i ever did i moved in to it full time in 2012 almost 18 months ago
great to have the freedom
plus less monthly bills to worry about :thumb:

we all start some where so long as you get started :ROFLMAO:

i am holding a MHF /RVOC meet at longridge in November (see thread on rallies & meets) your welcome to join us
yours Ian

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back