Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Ok i decide to stay in a layby over night and whilst there fancy a few tins of beer or few glasses of plonk.After ive had a few i get a knock on the door from pc plod and im in possession of the keys to the motorhome.Can i be done for drink driving as i understand if your sat in a car under the influence and have the keys you can be knicked.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Using the same argument he could also charge you with being in possession of offensive weapons if he saw your carving and bread knives in the kitchen area. Answer is put the keys and the knives off your person and where thy can't be accessed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Someone more qualified will come along and give you an answer, I'm sure I've read but could be wrong that they have to prove intent to drive so if your sitting with TV on and in your PJs you might be ok. Personally if I was parked in a lay by I'd make sure one of us would always be fit to drive off if required, just imagine you have a few beers then some rowdy lot come along and you don't feel safe and want to drive off and get stopped by police.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure but I think you could be done.

Bob would know for sure but he hasn't been around for a while.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
If the keys are not in the ignition then there is no intent to drive. However, parking in a layby and being under the influence masking you unable to drive may be constued as obstructing the highway if you do not, when requested, move on. Tricky one this as what is regarded as being an acceptable/permitted time to stay in a layby.

Keys in ignition; same applies to mobile phones, they should be removed.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
As long as the keys are in the mh be it in ignition, pocket or under the pillow then you are classed being in charge of a vehicle, so officially yes you would be done for it.

If your in a layby then you would be a complete lunatic to have drink if your in the middle of nowhere and enjoying some wild camping then I think you would be ok and quite possibly plead your case if you had to. Luckily my missis doesnt really drink.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
if your in charge of a motor vehicle and over the limit your bang to rights
'In charge' can be defined as sitting in the drivers seat with the keys in your possession or in the ignition,that can be an intention to drive.
If you are sitting in the lounge area or even in bed (preferably in your jimjams) and the keys hanging up out of reach,it would be very difficult to prove intention to drive.

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
As long as the keys are in the mh be it in ignition, pocket or under the pillow then you are classed being in charge of a vehicle, so officially yes you would be done for it.

If your in a layby then you would be a complete lunatic to have drink if your in the middle of nowhere and enjoying some wild camping then I think you would be ok and quite possibly plead your case if you had to. Luckily my missis doesnt really drink.

I need to find one of those Missus :ROFLMAO:

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
My Niece and hubby are both coppers, both say do not have the keys on your person and do not sit in the drivers seat.........no problem. :thumb:

Keith

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Absolute mine field this oneSee if this lot helps
[FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What is the legal definition of being in charge?[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There is no legal definition for the term "in charge" so each case will depend on its exact circumstances and facts. Generally, a Defendant is "in charge" if he was the owner/in possession of the vehicle or had recently driven it. He is not in charge if it is being driven by another person or is "a great distance" from the vehicle.

Matters are more complicated where a person is sitting in the vehicle or "otherwise involved with it". In charge can include attempting to gain entry to the vehicle and failing, having keys to the vehicle, having intention to take control of the vehicle or even "being near the vehicle".
[/FONT][FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What if I was in my car on my driveway having a cigarette trying to keep warm and I had no intention of driving?[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There is no need for the prosecution to prove that a person was likely to drive whilst unfit or over the limit. It is for the Defendant to prove that there is no prospect of using the vehicle.[/FONT][FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What if I fell asleep in the car or I was sitting in the back?[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It depends on the circumstances leading up to it. If somebody else had driven the vehicle, and has merely got out and left you in it, and you were not aware of this, you are not in charge. If, however, you had, by your own means got into the car you would have been in charge and remain in charge.[/FONT][FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Can I be prosecuted if I am sitting in the passenger seat?[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Yes. If the Police believe that you were driving at some point, but when they stopped the vehicle, you were no longer driving, it is still possible to prosecute or if the Police are able to show that there was a likelihood of you driving the vehicle. You do not have to be sitting in the driver's seat to be "in charge".[/FONT][FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I had too much to drink so I asked someone else to drive me home. They only have a provisional licence can I be prosecuted?[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Yes. You are deemed to be in charge if you are supervising another driver so if you are above the limit you can be prosecuted.

[/FONT]

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
asked a friend of mine who is an ex traffic inspector and the answer was a YES as you are in charge of the vehicle. He id say that common sense may apply depending on pc plod, as said if in PJ's and keys in a safe place and not in the ignition then unlikely.
As a side issue I am driving my HM to site so my daughter and husband can use it, checked with insurers and they said not a problem provided they did NOT have the ignition keys as without the keys they are NOT incharge of the vehicle as they are not on the insurance

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It's been discussed many times before but I ask why try and save a few quid when there are plenty of CL/CS around? Whether rightly or wrongly - possible one year ban, huge insurance costs etc etc. even if a small risk (and there must be, otherwise it would not be discussed so much) it just isn't worth it.........

(........Awaits incoming from "wild" campers who like to park in a lay by)

Last edited:

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
drink driving

One to think about, if you get a knock on the door, how can you prove you hadn,t been drinking and driving before you pulled in for the night, to much at risk to take a chance, will never be a problem for me, I dont drink, boring arn,t I yokel john

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
It's been discussed many times before but I ask why try and save a few quid when there are plenty of CL/CS around? Whether rightly or wrongly - possible one year ban, huge insurance costs etc etc. even if a small risk (and there must be, otherwise it would not be discussed so much) it just isn't worth it.........

(........Awaits incoming from "wild" campers who like to park in a lay by)

I do actually stay on sites but was wondering where we would stand legally,however since you mentioned cls/cs, how about this one. I was sat eating my lunch when a MH pulled up on a pitch near me.As soon as they arrived off they went out on foot.We went out for a few hours and they arrived back at the club site several hours after us absolutely pickled.Im talking not being able to get in the hab door pickled.So no prizes for guessing where they went.Anyhow this couple were up and gone by six in the morning and were surely still pissed,an aged couple they were too.Why do they do it ?totally irresponsible to drive any vehicle in this state.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wasn't having a go - you raised a reasonable question, even though it has been extensively discussed. Everyone has a responsibility to themselves and other road users to obey the laws no matter where they stay; I just cannot see, for the life of me, why one would want to park up in a lay by for the night, other than a real emergency reason.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
One to think about, if you get a knock on the door, [HI]how can you prove you hadn,t been drinking and driving before you pulled in for the night[/HI], to much at risk to take a chance, will never be a problem for me, I dont drink, boring arn,t I yokel john

Unless you had actually been seen driving the vehicle you could not be prosecuted for drink drive, and it is not for you to "prove" anything, that is the job of the prosecution.

This then brings us back to drunk in charge of the vehicle.........:RollEyes:

:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

I thought you said she couldn't even drive a Micra, let alone the Autotrail!!!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I wasn't having a go - you raised a reasonable question, even though it has been extensively discussed. Everyone has a responsibility to themselves and other road users to obey the laws no matter where they stay; I just cannot see, for the life of me, why one would want to park up in a lay by for the night, other than a real emergency reason.

i didnt think for a minute you was,no worries.

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
To my way of thinking, if parked up for the night ie lay by or country lane or anywhere else adjacent to a road for that matter why on earth would you drink to much, wait and have a drink at a more appropriate time when there is no risk to anybody.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wasn't having a go - you raised a reasonable question, even though it has been extensively discussed. Everyone has a responsibility to themselves and other road users to obey the laws no matter where they stay; I just cannot see, for the life of me, [HI]why one would want to park up in a lay by for the night[/HI], other than a real emergency reason.

Sigh... I will try my very best to explain why I nearly always park in laybys when I am travelling anywhere.

When I am going somewhere, for example to Malvern from Portugal via Toulouse, I have no idea how I will feel each day.

I will set off and when I feel like having a rest I will find a suitable stopping place on the way.

I don't plan each day so I do not know where I will reach that night.

Maybe it is a beautiful, clear, moonlit night and the roads are empty so I keep on driving.

Maybe it is miserable weather with heavy trucks pounding by and then I might pull over early.

I might decide to stop for the night at 3am. No matter what type campsite it is... they won't like this.

Maybe I want to get moving at 5am. No matter what type of campsite it is they won't like this.

Those who enjoy planning their trips down to the last detail, booking the pitches in advance etc are tied to the decisions they made earlier. That's the way they like to do things.

Not me.

I don't like being tied down to schedules. If I want to explore an area on a whim I do.

Freedom, spontaneity, adventure...

Hope this ramble helps understanding

JJ:Cool:

PS. I don't camp in laybys. I park in them. And if it is late at night and I fancy a beer, do you know what? I "risk" it... because I reckon the chances of a policeman wanting to do me for having a beer with my pie while parked peacefully in a layby are very, very, very, very slim. So slim in fact that after over 30 years staying almost every single night in my van it has never happened.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fair enough, and thanks for explaining. Not my cup of tea (or anything else) though.....

OP
OP
Daveo2006

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Sigh... I will try my very best to explain why I nearly always park in laybys when I am travelling anywhere.

When I am going somewhere, for example to Malvern from Portugal via Toulouse, I have no idea how I will feel each day.

I will set off and when I feel like having a rest I will find a suitable stopping place on the way.

I don't plan each day so I do not know where I will reach that night.

Maybe it is a beautiful, clear, moonlit night and the roads are empty so I keep on driving.

Maybe it is miserable weather with heavy trucks pounding by and then I might pull over early.

I might decide to stop for the night at 3am. No matter what type campsite it is... they won't like this.

Maybe I want to get moving at 5am. No matter what type of campsite it is they won't like this.

Those who enjoy planning their trips down to the last detail, booking the pitches in advance etc are tied to the decisions they made earlier. That's the way they like to do things.

Not me.

I don't like being tied down to schedules. If I want to explore an area on a whim I do.

Freedom, spontaneity, adventure...

Hope this ramble helps understanding

JJ:Cool:

PS. I don't camp in laybys. I park in them. And if it is late at night and I fancy a beer, do you know what? I "risk" it... because I reckon the chances of a policeman wanting to do me for having a beer with my pie while parked peacefully in a layby are very, very, very, very slim. So slim in fact that after over 30 years staying almost every single night in my van it has never happened.

So you like a lay by then JJ. :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Fair enough, and thanks for explaining. Not my cup of tea (or anything else) though.....

No problem... I was only trying to paint a picture of one of the many other ways we motorhomers can use them.

(You did ask why anyone would stop overnight in a layby)

How I use mine is a completely different to your way... But I think I understand your way.

Vive la difference.

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back