LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have read lots of threads on tyre pressures, the manufacturers recommendations etc etc i am still unsure what pressure to put in our van tyres. We currently have Michelin Camper XC that we have been running at 65 psi and are thinking of changing to Vanco van tyres, as the current set up gives a very harsh ride.

We need to change the tyres as they are too old so it's an ideal opportunity to try something else.

I know there are a few Funsters that have similar vans, what pressure & tyre set up do you find works best? In the interest of me wine glasses and the eggs, any help would be appreciated

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyres

hi there army pm sent:thumb:
brian

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Have read lots of threads on tyre pressures, the manufacturers recommendations etc etc i am still unsure what pressure to put in our van tyres. We currently have Michelin Camper XC that we have been running at 65 psi and are thinking of changing to Vanco van tyres, as the current set up gives a very harsh ride.

We need to change the tyres as they are too old so it's an ideal opportunity to try something else.

I know there are a few Funsters that have similar vans, what pressure & tyre set up do you find works best? In the interest of me wine glasses and the eggs, any help would be appreciated

The correct procedure is to go to your local weigh station (free) weigh your van,
ie; drive very slowly over the floor plates the axle weight will come up on the display, note it, carry on so the rear axle cross's over the plate, record this axle weight and finally wait for the gross weight to appear....ring up the tech' department of your MH tyre manufacture and they should be able to give you the correct tyre pressure's from your accurate information you provide :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
have . a B 534 . on Conti camper . run it at 4.5 bar all round no probs .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
have . a B 534 . on Conti camper . run it at 4.5 bar all round no probs .

So we are in the right ball park with the pressure then. Do you have air ride fitted on your van too? That's another thing we are not sure about. Ours does have it but we can't seem to get it quite right. Something is causing the van to give a very harsh ride, especially from the rear. - no rude comments on that statement please :Blush:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We have B654 SL plated at 4000Kg 3.0 engine.
The recommended pressures for Michelin camper tyres are 65 psi front and 80 psi rear,(4.5 & 5 bar) when I picked the vehicle up I thought the ride harsh I checked the pressures and found that they were 55- 60psi all round, , I increased the pressures as recommended and found the ride improved quite noticeably.:thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
So we are in the right ball park with the pressure then. Do you have air ride fitted on your van too? That's another thing we are not sure about. Ours does have it but we can't seem to get it quite right. Something is causing the van to give a very harsh ride, especially from the rear. - no rude comments on that statement please :Blush:

I have just finished fitting 'Dunlop Air Assistors' to the rear of my Bolero with a control dial gauge/valve, have not yet done full evaluation of the ride but it should not create a hard ride unless their inflated beyond their scope or your tyres can be overinflated, tread pattern can also influence the ride...... in my case the bolero is built around the Fiat Ducato chassis cab, in other words a 'commercial vehicle' which unfortunately does does possess a sophisticated suspension

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a B544SL and found the Michelins gave a very hard ride. Onthe advice of someone on another forum when they were due for change I fitted Vredensteins which are much more compliant.

Mike

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi Amy,
We have run on Michelins for 10 yrs which always gave a very hard ride, advised to change to Hankook, fantastic, feels like a Rolls Royce.
They run at a much lower pressure, after weighing and fitting advice.
We also have Air Rides which are still very effective.
Best Regards Mac

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
A big thanks to all for your advise and recommendations and an apology to BrainJoJosh for not getting around to calling him after his kind offer.

We had new tyres fitted today - Conti Vanco. Decided on these partly due to ease of availability both in the UK and abroad and also after reading good write ups on MF.

This was the horror story they found on one of the old tyres:Eeek: thank goodness we managed to get them done before going away this evening. Hate to think how long we were driving around like that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 25

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back