Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Didnt work in Iraq in the late summer, although that was a few years ago and with the world a bit warmer since then, still prob wouldnt work:winky:

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Used them all the time when we lived in Oman. Worked perfectly there. Maybe if you get hot sunny days they will be fine, otherwise no good.

Lin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Thinking of getting a couple of these
Link Removed

Anyone tried them? Are they any good?:thumb:

I've used them in France and Spain many times and they are excellent. If you put it out early on a sunny day you will probably have to add cold water to use it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Yes - I carry two of them in my MH. If you half fill them (10 litres), evacuate all the remaining air from the bag, and lay them on your MH roof in the morning, on a sunny day in the Mediterranean area you'll end up with water hot enough to make you go 'Bloody Hell!' by tea time. Great for washing up water, evening wash in a basin, or even a shower. I once tried 'showering' outside in an Aire in Biarritz under the pathetic trickle that comes out of the spout, but it's far better just to go inside your MH shower, open the stopper on the bag and empty it all over your head.

I like them because they save gas used used on heating up water, you end up with more warm water than a typical MH boiler provides, and it's no major effort to set them up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've used them a few years ago on a yachting holiday in Greece.

a couple of those secured to the deck in a morning and hooked to a mast/sail rope and hoisted up in the evening.

very warm water but not a lot of it :Sad:

usual scenario.......get wet, water off, get soapy, rinse off.......water gone :Doh:

fun watching the young foreign ladies though....they have no shame or embarrassed, showering on deck completely naked :Eeek:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've only ever used mine when there's been no chance of the 'solar' bit working (first thing in the morning, or an overcast day) and no proper shower available - filled it with boiling water from the kettle, mixed with cold.

Not much pressure but just about does the job. Doesn't need to be too full - in fact if I fill it to the top it'll probably pull my utility tent down!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
solar showers

We used them a lot when sailing out in Greece most of our friends had them aswell, standard bits of kit out there, well worth the money.:thumb:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Brilliant when sunny, sometimes too hot!! Very small to carry so useful when space is limited. We use them at motocross when I won't let the dusty riders in my van :ROFLMAO:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've got a couple in the MH. Used one at Roger's site in May last year, quite hot enough to use after 3 to 4 hours... ::bigsmile:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have used them in france before, fill up in the day and whilst the sun is blaring hot on the roof of your van heat's up the water nicely, sometimes too hot, but use quickly as it soon runs out

boyart23

Free Member
Feb 27, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
since 2002
boyart23

Used small one whilst in France in the spring. Needed care cos water was bit too hot! This was after leaving it most of day in the sun, moving it as necessary. Hung it from a tree to do the biz, (it helped having an assistant). Sadly the clip' control valve has now snapped and no longer works. Have seen them in regular in UK at DA meets, so look good to me. Will buy another but go for a larger type. Hope that helps

Boyart

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've used them a few years ago on a yachting holiday in Greece.

a couple of those secured to the deck in a morning and hooked to a mast/sail rope and hoisted up in the evening.

very warm water but not a lot of it :Sad:

usual scenario.......get wet, water off, get soapy, rinse off.......water gone :Doh:

fun watching the young foreign ladies though....they have no shame or embarrassed, showering on deck completely naked :Eeek:

Oooooh errrrr misses, you need to put a pre-health warning out before those kind of closing lines, me hearts gone a dickie for a second :Blush:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Brilliant product and very environmentally friendly. Used them all the time throughout 2 Wars in the Gulf and they were a god send and much better than the adapted fire buckets originally issued, that's for sure, only one thing, test it before you use it and leave a bit of space to add cold water or you may burn your bits :winky:

Or you could join the seafaring yachts and try not to peek :winky:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Some campers on our site used them for washing their dogs off after walking in the muddy forest.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Looks more efficient than using the on-board water heater, just boil the kettle. Will definitely get one of these.

Thanks

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hot

mine got really hot in france. but it comes out very slow.but great at washing sandy feet.:Cool:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm led to believe that in Australia a length of adapted black wide pore plastic pipe is a commonly seen attachment on many camper vans. Filled with cold water in the morning, and letting out steaming hot water via tap and hose by the afternoon.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Got a couple of solar showers - similar to the ones highlighted by the OP, but slightly different design - used them regularly since the 1970s!!

Whenever it's sunny (UK or abroad) from May to September - so long as we're parked up for the day - always use at least one of them. Provides scorching hot water for washing and/or washing-up. :thumb:

Must have saved a fortune on gas for water heating over the years. Oh, and if the weather's hot, the water temperature is heated in as little as a couple of hours.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back