Samsung Galaxy S III.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Saved up and bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S III from Expansys .. running Jellybean 4.1.2

When it arrived I couldn't wait to get it up and running, only to find out it requires a micro SIM card .. :Doh: anyways.. quick call to Virgin and I had a replacement within 24hrs ..

Had it a couple of days now and first impressions are.. wow .. what a great phone.. love it.. I won't give a review just yet as it's early days, but first impressions excellent.. love the screen size and the clarity.. I can easily read emails, web pages etc .. for navigation it is superb ..

a good review with plenty of info here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review

anyone else with one.. or contemplating buying one ?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Well, yes and no.

It's like Windows, the Android experience is similar no matter what the device.

But a high-res big screen enhances the experience.

Enjoy.

Thinks.......

Isn't Samsung Korea ? That would be South Korea. So how much do you reckon Apple is paying Kim Jon to nuke South Korea.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, yes and no.

It's like Windows, the Android experience is similar no matter what the device.

But a high-res big screen enhances the experience.

Enjoy.

Thinks.......

Isn't Samsung Korea ? That would be South Korea. So[HI] how much do you reckon Apple is paying Kim Jon to nuke South Korea[/HI].

not enough apparently ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My Sister, Brother in Law and 3 friends all have one. They swear by them.
Personally I couldn't get on with the touch screen keyboard but other than that a great bit of tech. That's is part of the reason I am going for the note 2 because they are such great mobile computers and JJ raves about it...

I gave my Sister my iPhone when I lost patience with it. She gave it back to me 2 months later telling me it was crap :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Sister and Brother in Law are upgrading to the S4 in 3 months when their contract comes up.

They are the only people I know who use that tap to transfer thingy. She will get a funny sent to her or find one on the internet. She will knock her phone against her hubbies and the file/music/picture is transferred straight across.
They use it to share music a lot.

Just wondering why you didn't get the S4?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Saved up and bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S III from Expansys .. running Jellybean 4.1.2

When it arrived I couldn't wait to get it up and running, only to find out it requires a micro SIM card .. :Doh: anyways.. quick call to Virgin and I had a replacement within 24hrs ..

Had it a couple of days now and first impressions are.. wow .. what a great phone.. love it.. I won't give a review just yet as it's early days, but first impressions excellent.. love the screen size and the clarity.. I can easily read emails, web pages etc .. for navigation it is superb ..

a good review with plenty of info here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review

Had an S2 for a couple of years now and still very happy with it but I'm due for an update and can safely say it wont be an Iphone5 :Smile: I have been looking at the S4 but they are all fantastic bits of kit. The only addition I have added is a slightly larger battery for 20 quid.
I have said before that old Tom has taken a back since I've had the S2 navigation. I also use NavFree that just requires gps not incurring any data cost.:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Funsters' Galaxy Gang.

Learning more every day.

Karl (Gromett), after the flip cover case, the 64 gig SD card and the OTG cable the next goodie I am buying is a bluetooth keyboard.

There are four ways to "type" into the SGN2 (keyboard, voice, handwriting and a strange swiping system using the keyboard but sliding from one letter to the next and I am getting much faster but for the really heavy typing (my international best selling blockbusting first novel for example) a normal keyboard would help.

Android and Galaxy Forever...

JJ:Cool:

PS. Please Karl, could you recommend a good DVD ripper? Which one do you use?

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Have one , love it,

Over a year now, and its epic :Angry:

Bye bye apple

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome to the Funsters' Galaxy Gang.

Learning more every day.

Karl (Gromett), after the flip cover case, the 64 gig SD card and the OTG cable the next goodie I am buying is a bluetooth keyboard.

There are four ways to "type" into the SGN2 (keyboard, voice, handwriting and a strange swiping system using the keyboard but sliding from one letter to the next and I am getting much faster but for the really heavy typing (my international best selling blockbusting first novel for example) a normal keyboard would help.

Android and Galaxy Forever...

JJ:Cool:

PS. Please Karl, could you recommend a good DVD ripper? Which one do you use?

I already have the bluetooth keyboard for my tablet :winky: I may get a different one that incorporates a charger and stand though for the phone when I eventually can afford it. I really should pull my finger out and start doing a bit of work to earn some money :ROFLMAO:

My software choice is probably not ideal for you as you will only do a few. I had thousands of DVD's to rip.. But what I use is

AnyDVD from slysoft ( Broken Link Removed ) Which I use to rip the DVD to the hard drive without any conversion at all. I do 20-30 like this 4-6 an hour.

Then I use handbrake ( http://handbrake.fr ) in batch mode to do the conversion to m4v format with embeded subtitles where needed. I leave this to go over night. I can usually get 30 DVD's done a day. Then dump then round at mothers for storage with the bonus she gets to watch any that are there :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know Karl (he suggests cheekily)...

Why don't I buy the files from you and then you can get your SGN2 sooner?

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My Sister, Brother in Law and 3 friends all have one. They swear by them.
Personally I couldn't get on with the touch screen keyboard but other than that a great bit of tech. That's is part of the reason I am going for the note 2 because they are such great mobile computers and JJ raves about it...

I gave my Sister my iPhone when I lost patience with it. She gave it back to me 2 months later telling me it was crap :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Sister and Brother in Law are upgrading to the S4 in 3 months when their contract comes up.

They are the only people I know who use that tap to transfer thingy. She will get a funny sent to her or find one on the internet. She will knock her phone against her hubbies and the file/music/picture is transferred straight across.
They use it to share music a lot.

Just wondering [HI]why you didn't get the S4?[/HI]

about 300 good reasons .. pound notes :roflmto:

S4 release is April 27th. and it's an eye watering £629 :Eeek:

almost double the price of the S3

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

S4 release is April 27th. and it's an eye watering[HI] £629[/HI] :Eeek:

Other option of course is a free S4 and £35 a month for 24 months total £840
This gives unlimited fast internet.more calls and text than you could use and of course tethering your S4 for fast internet anywhere without incurring any additional cost. Takes a lot of worry out of unjustified internet bills. Total peace of mind for just £8 a week:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

S4 release is April 27th. and it's an eye watering £629 :Eeek:

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

The note 2 is only £450.....

I would have waited 2 months. It was bound to come down to sub note 2 prices?

Oh well. I hope you enjoy it. Looks like a cracking good phone :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Other option of course is a free S4 and £35 a month for 24 months [HI]total £840[/HI]
This gives unlimited fast internet.more calls and text than you could use and of course tethering your S4 for fast internet anywhere without incurring any additional cost. Takes a lot of worry out of unjustified internet bills. Total peace of mind for just £8 a week:thumb:

yikes.. :Eeek:

when my 24 month contract with Virgin ended last year I didn't renew and I asked for a rolling contract , but they made a mistake with my bundle.. .. .. I now have a deal, costs £5 per month with unlimited data , 300 texts and I think 300 mins .. and I can tether it .. it was their fault, so they honoured it .. so I won't be taking out another contract.. ::bigsmile:

in any case, I would far rather own my phone and have the option of other carriers and or deals than get tied into another 24 month contract..

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

The note 2 is only £450.....

I would have waited 2 months. It was bound to come down to sub note 2 prices?

Oh well. I hope you enjoy it. Looks like a cracking good phone :thumb:
Waiting doesn't tend to work, the price goes down when another new one is on the horizon. Best to use the apple method and pay the price on the launch day:winky:.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Samsung v iphone

We have 4 in our household, 2 iphones and 2 Samsung Galaxy`s

Have to say the Galaxy appears to be the favourite, now then my Galaxy is bluetoothed to my car and whilst driving around I keep hearing a ringing tone in various locations, anyone have any ideas on what this could be.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We have 4 in our household, 2 iphones and 2 Samsung Galaxy`s

Have to say the Galaxy appears to be the favourite, now then my Galaxy is bluetoothed to my car and whilst driving around I keep hearing a ringing tone in various locations, anyone have any ideas on what this could be.

Someone phoning you? I know it's old fashioned but these devices can still work as a phone as well as a GPS, facebook, games device, email, IM etc etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Have an S2, and would not be without it now.

Just bought a Note 10.1, and loving that too.

DVD Shrink for one-touch dvd ripping/backup, and Freemake Video Converter for converting to any other format. VLC media player for viewing. All FREE of course.....:thumb::thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

DVD Shrink for one-touch dvd ripping/backup, and Freemake Video Converter for converting to any other format. VLC media player for viewing. All FREE of course.....:thumb::thumb:

Does DVD Shrink handle all Copy protection?

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Link Removed

I've used the other stuff for ages....b ut I'll give this a try now :thumb:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
oh...i've had a note from the orginal launch....great phone, gps etc:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Does DVD Shrink handle all Copy protection?

I can't remember any problems with copy protection. If I have in the past, I have other rippers which eventually seem to work. I haven't been beaten yet.

One thing to bear in mind with DVD Shrink is that the developer(s) stopped developing it 2 or 3 years ago, but it still works a treat.

Blu-Ray ripping on the other hand....................................:cry:

Last edited:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have the S3 Mini and I am very impressed. Previous phone was an HTC Wildfire, liked it but no comparison to the Samsung.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Someone phoning you? I know it's old fashioned but these devices can still work as a phone as well as a GPS, facebook, games device, email, IM etc etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well I walked right into that one, nah it`s a totally different ring, just a faint door bell type which happens in the same places as I drive around, i did wonder if it was my bluetooth set in the car trying to talk to the phone.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can't remember any problems with copy protection. If I have in the past, I have other rippers which eventually seem to work. I haven't been beaten yet.

One thing to bear in mind with DVD Shrink is that the developer(s) stopped developing it 2 or 3 years ago, but it still works a treat.

Blu-Ray ripping on the other hand....................................:cry:

I looked into it and it won't do any of the recent copy protections. I will stick with AnyDVD which I have never failed on so far.
I prefer to keep my ripping separate from my converting as I can then batch convert. If you do them at the same time it can be an hour between disks and I quite often forgot and was managing only 5 a day. When I batch them I can rip a whole bunch of DVD's quickly. Then set them up to batch convert in handbrake.

Sorry for going Off topic. I blame it on JJ :ROFLMAO:

Well I walked right into that one, nah it`s a totally different ring, just a faint door bell type which happens in the same places as I drive around, i did wonder if it was my bluetooth set in the car trying to talk to the phone.

I couldn't resist sorry..:winky: I have no idea to be honest sorry.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

could be your bluetooth picking up others
or you phone set to tell you when you move from one transmitter to another
wifes old nokia used to do it took ages to work out what it was

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I couldn't resist sorry..:winky: I have no idea to be honest sorry.[/QUOTE]

Hey no need to say sorry, after I re-read my post after reading yours I just sat here and chuckled to myself thinking well you walked right into that one.:Doh:

So if your response raised a smile with all the crap that`s going on around us at the moment that`s fine by me:thumb:

ozom

Free Member
Jul 8, 2013
L.A.
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie

DVD Shrink isn't bad, I've used it before and works pretty well. If you want to "fine tune" the video for mobile devices, try "AppGeeker DVD Ripper". It is pretty good.

Broken Link Removed

I use it to rip from the DVD to AVI with XviD codec for my PS3.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have two contracts, one already expired on my S2 and the other an Iphone 4s next month. My dilemma, should I wait for something new like the iphone 6 or the S5 or should I settle for the I5 and the S4. I already have a Note 10.1 so the note is not an option. What would you do?:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back