New Tyres (1 Viewer)

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
I need a new set of tyres 215/75 R16 and need a bit of advice on what make to buy , have got the mot in may and have checked all the tyres and the side wall's are cracking so I best get them changed:cry:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have continental Vanco camper tyres and am most impressed. A fraction of the cost of Michelins and they are going on many new converters now as standard. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I replaced mine with commercial van tyres
As long as they are rated for the weight they are fine and save a lot of cash
Mine cost approx £85 each, same tyre size as yours, 3500kg

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have continental Vanco camper tyres and am most impressed. A fraction of the cost of Michelins and they are going on many new converters now as standard. :thumb:

Had these on last two MH,s

Find these exellent.

Hercules

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2005
Hankook RA08s work for me :thumb:

Cheers. Nige

Top tyres, got them on my motorhome, and they are so much better than the Michelin Camping Car tyres they replaced, don't waste your money on anything else!

Hercules

Free Member
Sep 30, 2012
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2005
Have been looking on blackcircles and on some tyres it has got (113) and (116) what's that meen:thumb:

Nev

They are the load ratings, the weight the tyres can support.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My view is that you can't go wrong by using the same tyres the converter used. In my case Continental Vanco 4 seasons.

I got mine from e-tyres, good price and they come to you to fit them. Another supplier is blackcircles, but you have to take your van to their fitting centres.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Similar post came up some weeks ago:

I was advised that if I were to fit different tyres to those supplied as specified on the base vehicle then I could invalidate the insurance. Changing tyres could be construed as a modification which should be declared.

Similar to fitting solar panels, sat dishes etc.

We all know what some insurance companies are like.

Needless to say I fitted Michelins at a cost of £600.00 - pricier but piece of mind.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ibought the 225 75 16 Conti Vango theywere £25 cheaper each tyre against 215. Cost £132 Bush quoted £135 .They are very quiet (i had to turn the radio preset down and the tomtom ). They have a good feel and a good ride ..Far superior to the Michelins that i took off .
Van tyres maybe cheaper but i was advised against them because of the road noise and harsh ride.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009

I was advised that if I were to fit different tyres to those supplied as specified on the base vehicle then I could invalidate the insurance. Changing tyres could be construed as a modification which should be declared.

Similar to fitting solar panels, sat dishes etc.

We all know what some insurance companies are like.

Needless to say I fitted Michelins at a cost of £600.00 - pricier but piece of mind.

I fitted the Michelins as well when I rang my insurance company up asking if I could use normal van tyres they said yes as long as they were the same ratings ??? I was more baffled after I spoke to them. than I was before.
I felt a bit uneasy and did the same as you I put on the same as was originally fitted.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think camper tyres have more wire in the side walls ,makes them stiffer less chance of sagging when stood for long periods .:Smile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I bought KUMHO ones, same size as you need, paid £110 each.

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
camper tyres

You should stay with the same size and load/speed, some commercial tyres are lower speed rated, any good tyre shop will explain, you do not have to fit same make as OE fitment, a michelin will damage just the same as a cheaper tyre, if your sidewalls are cracking badly, thats an mot fail, they brought out camper tyres sosay their better suited for the motorhome type of use, but no real proof of that, they seem to crack just the same as the commercial ones,and all tyres have a shelf life, after which they are not to be sold, from memory its 5 years, theres a DOT code on the sidewall, get the tyreshop to show you. hope this helps and is not to confusing, :thumb::thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Camper tyres have stiffer/stronger side walls because motorhomes are typically loaded to their Maximum Gross Weight all the time.
Commercial vehicles are not fully loaded to the same extent and the tyres don;t require the same sidewall strength. (most are only loaded during working hours).
I need a couple of tyres following a blow out and a separate puncture. We do a lot of miles and places like Morocco are savage on your tyres.
I'll be buying camper tyres as I'm not taking any chances.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would need to be shown proof that there is a real difference between camping and commercial tyres before I would spend the money. I have had 2 lots of camping tyres on previous vehicles and am now on commercial tyres.
Both lots have had to be replaced before they ran out of tread (age) and both lots survived a full five years.

The whole adding camping or marine before something to get the price up grates occasionally.

I will stick to paying £75 a wheel until a manufacturer proves that camping tyres are worth the almost double price thank you very much :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had mich's on originally and have switched to Hankooks 10 ply tyres.. Done several thousand miles on them now and would say it is proly one of the best mods I have done to the van ..

MUCH quieter ( and I do mean much ! ) ride is better... and grip !! What grip..

Really adverse conditions in slush sleet and snow driving down to Spain and never missed a beat.. And they even got me off the field at Newark where most folk got bogged down ( this, in a van that comes in at over 4 tonnes, that over the years I have managed to get stuck just about everywhere !!! )
Not a particularly cheap option but by the cringe, worth every penny paid :thumb:

As for insurance and modifications..
If most of us worried about that we would not have a tv or anything else in the van.. No matter what you do it is a modification !

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
After a lot ot research i fitted hankook RA18s vantra (215/75/16) 10ply,116/114 speed rating.
These are a mud and snow tyre and you can see that by the aggressive cross tread pattern on the shoulder compared to the michs i had previously fitted which had only radial groves which were useless even on wet grass.
Got off Newark no trouble and my M/H is 4ton of tag axle,also a lot less road noise:thumb:
HTH
Tony

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

Having worked for a motor insurance company I can advise that this is tosh. If you are buying a similar speed/load rating and not changing wheel size (and therefore the profile) it would not be modification. You should ensure that if the base vehicle has camping tyres that they are replaced with camping tyres and not commercial tyres which have different characteristics. If your vehicle is lighter i.e. a van conversion and was fitted with commercial tyres you can use commercial tyres or upgrade to camper tyres.

If available I would always use Vanco tyres as they have been proven to perform considerably better in the wet. While they may not be fantastic in mud the performance on the road is what is important to me. In my opinion they are also quieter than Michelin tyres.

Last edited:

kevin

Free Member
Feb 23, 2013
essex
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
2nd year
tires

Try this company .tyresavings.com there pretty competitive select your tires put in your postcode and choose where to fit pay when jobs done

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I need a new set of tyres 215/75 R16 and need a bit of advice on what make to buy , have got the mot in may and have checked all the tyres and the side wall's are cracking so I best get them changed:cry:
talk to Brian evans in oswestry he has a tyre business
fixed me up with six for my RV
P & B Tyres (Oswestry) Ltd

Mile Oak Industrial Estate
Oswestry, SY10 8GA, United Kingdom
01691) 655859

tell Brian you got info from Ian(that is me motorhomelover) MHF / RVOC
you may get a few quid of :thumb::thumb:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Having worked for a motor insurance company I can advise that this is tosh. If you are buying a similar speed/load rating and not changing wheel size (and therefore the profile) it would not be modification. You should ensure that if the base vehicle has camping tyres that they are replaced with camping tyres and not commercial tyres which have different characteristics. If your vehicle is lighter i.e. a van conversion and was fitted with commercial tyres you can use commercial tyres or upgrade to camper tyres.

If available I would always use Vanco tyres as they have been proven to perform considerably better in the wet. While they may not be fantastic in mud the performance on the road is what is important to me. In my opinion they are also quieter than Michelin tyres.

The point I was trying to make was that I had been advised that it could be an issue - tosh or not I would hate to write of thousands of pounds of a motorhome and not be covered due to a technicality. I was only expressing advice given to me by a person who also has many years in the insurance business. I am really suprised how people can spend 20K + and quibble about a couple of hundred quid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back