Server issues. (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Our server just had a blip (you may have noticed :Doh:)

We have rebooted the server and the site appears to be zipping along now.

HOWEVER...

We have got an engineer attending to our server this afternoon so it is likely that he weill do a full power cycle restart of the server. If he does the site will disappear again for about 5 minutes.

Sorry about that but hey, ho, these things happen :ROFLMAO:

Bryan
Administrator

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It came up again as a database corrupt error Bryan.

But I guess you know that.

I got.................

"Sorry! This thread is closed!"

And I wanted to ask Bryan where I could get a diamond encrusted waistcoat for me budgie!

No wonder the server blips when hes using his credit card buying one for Arfur:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Yep I was in the middle of what sort of brain thinks of a Parrot with the DEWaistcoat too ! Database error !

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Our server just had a blip (you may have noticed :Doh:)

We have got an engineer attending to our server this afternoon so it is likely that he weill do a full power cycle restart of the server.

Bryan
Administrator

Jims buying 4 new AA batteries,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wow the expense he goes to.

Hope the engineers wearing bike clips on his troosers, we dont want them getting caught in the bike chain:shout:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Denial of Service

Sorry Funsters.. Our server is literally under attack. Every couple of hours we are getting massive network traffic hits which cripples us. When this happens we have absolutely no admin access so we are a bit helpless. We may well lose the site a few more times whilst we figure out how to stop the attacks.

Thanks for your patience

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
These graphics show the network traffic we are receiving. Where our normal traffic results in a load of around 50K, we took 2 hits of over 6MB a second yesterday, and one of 8mbs this morning:Eeek: Why we should be attacked like this is beyond me, I am still not sure what is really going on and I have no idea what people gain from this crap:Angry:

Attachments

• 5minfun av.png
    5minfun av.png
    25 KB · Views: 75
  • year av.png
    year av.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 76
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Do you think this a malicious orchestrated attack Jim.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: Lets hope that not too many funsters had an early night. watch out for a baby boom among motorhome owners in the new year:Eeek:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Is there any way of knowing where these hits are coming from Jim, or indeed any way of blocking them ? :Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The server logs will be analysed by an expert today:Smile:

Hopefully it will be easy to identify a pattern and put a block on further attacks. Last time I did an investigation the trails led all over the world - got the b*gg*r in the end though ::bigsmile:

Graham

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well property ladder was really good last night. :winky:

I thought I was sad for the ammount of time I spent on computers.
But why would someone attack a server? :Blush:

What is there to be gained?
:whatthe:
And are they aware I had a high score on Crypt Raider when they attacked?:ROFLMAO:

Please explain someone.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I thought Bryan had pulled the plug after some had teased him & his Parrot:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But why would someone attack a server? :Blush:
Basically one of two reasons.

1. Because they enjoy disrupting things. These are similar people to those who vandalise property, spray grafitti and generally cause a nuisance. These people choose targets at random or just set off a type of program which chooses its own target.
2. Because they have a grudge against the organisation they are attacking. They probably realise that their grudge is unjustified but they want to hit back anyway.

Both types of person struggle to resolve their sense of self importance with the knowledge that they are inadequates.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The Packet Header/Footer should give a clue as to their originator.

I assume there is a firewall in place, the ports used have been logged and the packets have been captured.:thumb:

For example, a site that allows unauthenticated users to request message board traffic may start many database queries for each HTTP request they receive. An attacker can easily send so many requests that the database connection pool will get used up and there will be none left to service legitimate users.

Interesting as the error was database related.

Last edited:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'd reserve judgment on the "bad guy" until the admins have had a chance to analyze the logs and possibly do some additional investigation. My server was previously "under attack", and it wasn't until I checked the logs and did some additional work that I discovered where the "attacks" were coming from. Merely as an example, I explained it in this prior message.

In my case, it was a "friendly face" who had been a regular forum participant for many years, and there was no malicious intent on his part. One of his PCs had somehow attracted some malware that was causing it to hammer the server, bringing it (the server) to its knees. The guy was cooperative and participated in tests to isolate which of his 4 methods of accessing the forum was at fault. Strangely enough, the guy is a private software developer who's software is distributed to numerous customers, yet he had no idea one of his PCs was infected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back