beginners question about sites (1 Viewer)

g4jnw

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Anthorn, Wigton, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Hi Sorry for such a basic question it comes from an EX caravanner who is used to dragging water about in containers :roflmto:

As my campervan has onboard water the way i fill it up at home is with a hosepipe.

Have booked on a couple of CC sites in May and wonder how you normally fill the van up with water, ie; do they normally have longish hosepipes - when i used to take my caravan on these sites i never noticed as i filled up from a tap with a very short hose on. I do notice that on the campervan the angle of the filler is almost flat so not a good angle if trying to fill from a container.

Just it seems silly to drag the extra weight of water round for 600 miles as am sure it will have an impact on fuel consumption.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
some have hoses but we always carry a hose anyway and fill up when we get there dont se the point in carry loads of water but we always have some onboard
we have a flat hose saving space i have tried to find where we bought it from but cant see it there are some on ebay extremely cheap but they are also crap so read reviews if you intend to buy

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Link Removed
i think this is the 1 we have there are green 1's on ebay which are the crap 1's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have had many hoses over the years, getting away with various green, coiled or flat garden hoses but have now decided that even though expensive have gone for the normal round food grade blue hose. Because the garden hoses taint the water for drinking and makei it taste horrible, we always drink from the tank although many don't.We have 2 that we join in the middle if far away from the tap.
We also carry a container that we use to fill if tap inaccessible to the hose.
Also use a flexible spout for that and have bought a watering can in the past, don't use that much now though,that enables us to get the water into the tank as well. Lots of stuff i know and all Three takes up room so choose one really and see how it goes for you.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Most of the CC sites will have a motorhome point where you fill up with water. You only need a shortish hose for this but bear in mind you need to bring with you a hose adaptor to make sure your hose fits onto the tap.

The same motorhome point is then used when you leave to dump your grey waste.

If on a site for a while and your hose won't reach a tap then have a watering can handy to allow you to top up the tank.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
When travelling we found that a food quality hose was much better than the original garden-type hose we started with.
Here we have annual inspections of our water supply to ensure that it is of high quality. Initially we put hoses onto the taps on our central water point, but during an inspection were told that we should not do this for drinking water taps as they can pick up bacteria, and we should just leave the taps and let guests connect their own hoses.
So make sure that you carry sufficient hose (preferably food quality) to connect to your motorhome. Here you would not need a long length, but some sites we know you would need a long hose.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi and welcome. We always fill up at home. The loss of MPG out weighs the inconvenience of finding ourselves short of water or the filling point is not the best etc. We also carry a short hose , about 2 M long that is coiled up and ready to use providing we can get close to the filling point and we usually can. We also have a roll flat hose that we carry if we can't get close. Had to use it a few times. One essential we have is a large watering can. Can easily be used to top up the tank if required.
Hope this helps.:thumb:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
we always fill up at home before we leave and then top up as required, we carry 2 x 2ltr later bottles for drinking / making tea as do not use a food grade hose. Also have 10 metre hose which is usually long enough for filling up depending on pitch. As I find it a pain to move the MH if staying for a few nights at one site I also carry a 10 litre water carrier and a plastic funnel, in case hose not long enough. Short string from funnel to window catch, couple of carrier fills first thing after shower job done for the day. If going out in the MH fill up when get back.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I use the blue hose with a variety of adapters to fill the tank on site and use tap water from a plastic bottle for drinking which we refill daily. As an ex tugger too and depending on the destination I take the rolling barrel to fill from a 12v pump, handy on rallies when all there is is an isolated tap.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Carry a hose on you - either a food grade (clear), Roll flat or Yellow hose. Avoid green garden hoses. Run quarter tank to cover stops and avoid having to prime the pump each time, and top up when you get on site.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Carry a hose on you - either a food grade (clear), Roll flat or Yellow hose. Avoid green garden hoses. Run quarter tank to cover stops and avoid having to prime the pump each time, and top up when you get on site.

What is all this talk of running with next to no water in the tank, motorhomes are provided with generous water tanks and are capable of carrying large amounts of water, I always run full for the convenience, and all this talk of better mpg! What difference do you think 50kg of water is going to make compared to the weight of the rest of the van? Why don't we all run with 5 litres of diesel in the tank and stop at every garage to put another 5 litres in, surely this would be more economical, no!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have a couple of hoses with adaptors but rarely use them.

I normally just fill up a 20 litre container which we use for FW only, and carry it to the van. I then have a 12v submerged pump (similar to the one below) which takes up very little space, and makes filling very easy. :thumb:

Link Removed
Link Removed

:Smile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-2352-Hose-Fitting-Starter/dp/B000TAR040/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1366102863&sr=1-6&keywords=hose+connector+set"]Hozelock 2352 Hose Fitting Starter Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]Pick up a set of connectors such as this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-2352-Hose-Fitting-Starter/dp/B000TAR040/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1366102863&sr=1-6&keywords=hose+connector+set"]Hozelock 2352 Hose Fitting Starter Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

From your local garden or diy centre for connecting.

Also I find one of these:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Heos-Water-Hose-Connection-Blue.html
Useful rather than trying to keep the end inside the neck of filler while also manning the tap.

Wyn

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the fun Les, from another radio ham. Quite a few of us on here, the was a thread enquiring recently.
I wild camp all the time so always run full. It really does not make a huge difference to the MPG. I carry a set of adapters, 2 hoses, one short and one long plus a watering can so covered every which way even if 60 mtrs from a tap. (but then I do have sufficient storage to spare)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Isn't it amazing - you ask a simple and straightforward question - and look at the astonishing range of responses you have been prompted! :winky:

Obviously, everybody has their own approach and I think a bit of trial and error will probably be required until you're happy with what's best for you and your needs.

For what it's worth, we've had a brand new roll-flat hose in it's box in the van for 3 years - never used it. So it's just been ditched. We do have a short food-grade hose with a push-fit end to attach to most different types of tap, but again rarely use it.

Usually fill up at home with hose, then top up as we go with a plastic watering can. We tend not to be static for more than two or three days maximum, so the watering can works fine for us. :thumb:

No faffing with a range of hose connectors, and then trying to empty the hose before rolling it up etc etc. Then finding water dribbling from the hose in the garage. :Doh:

But as I said, trial and error - you'll soon decide which methods work for you. :thumb:

Mike

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We used to have one of those 10 mtr flat hoses ended up 10 feet, we always fill up before we leave, and we use a watering can to fill up, we normaly use about 2 cans a day, and when touring, wilding, it we also carry 20 ltrs of spare water and we drink straight from the tank, always have done, we do clean it out once a year.:Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I do notice that on the campervan the angle of the filler is almost flat so not a good angle if trying to fill from a container.

My van also has a lengthy horizontal filler - fine for keeping the hose in place while filling but useless to top up with a watering can. I carry a large funnel with a flexible spout and use that with the two 5L water containers I carry for drinking water. :Smile:

OP
OP
G

g4jnw

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Anthorn, Wigton, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
wow thanks guys never expected as many replies, so think i'll fill up before leaving home, got one of those flat hoses and carry a watering can, even in the caravan we used to use a separate container for drinking water will continue to do that.

Thanks again, now what other can of worms can i open :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back