Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
I am trying to find a route from calais down into spain, destination Benidorm.
I need to find a route that doesnt reach high altitude (health issues)so Im trying to avoid the mountains.

I was hoping to go via Paris (but staying on motorway) toulouse, Narbonne, then into spain on the coastal route E15, down to Benidorm then back up to calais via zaragoza bordeux.

Can anyone give me an idea of if this is feasible, or am I likely to encounter huge mountains.
Is there a better way?

Have previously travelled via E11 A75 and ended up quite high. If I go Toulouse - Narbonne would it be any better???

Many Thanks::bigsmile:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
dont go via paris its a nightmare go abbeville, rouen ,chartres,tours ,poitiers,bordeaux
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Ro...1.6&autoConso=7.9&villeConso=8&routeConso=6.6

this is the non tolls route although i think there is a toll down near bordeaux now but if you take the paris route and stick to motorways and tolls then be prepared to pay a extremly large amount

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Ro...1.6&autoConso=7.9&villeConso=8&routeConso=6.6
this route takes you up at around 1100mtrs after clermont ferrand but its a pleasant drive

both these routes are non toll

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Someone will be along soon to tell you all about how to get round Rouen to avoid the low bridge/tunnel

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Thanks guys:Smile: I dont really want to go up 1100m I know it doesnt seem like much when you are travelling it, but have had lung surgery so although it "should" be ok id rather avoid it if possible.
I had noticed the cost of the tolls were quite high, last year we went by car back from Roses via Le Caylar and it seemed quite reasonable in tolls. I only paid about 40 Euros guess a motorhome is more expensive?
So Bordeux - Toulouse - Narbonne any surprises on this route? big mountains, narrow roads, bridges, tunnels?

How about biarritz, san sebastian, zaragoza, valencia?

I did get lost in Paris last year, infact we couldnt get out of Paris because the tomtom went haywire as I was using a mobile phone chip for the GPS position and when I reached Paris It kept connecting and disconnecting to different providers. :Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We followed our SatNav from Calais to Poitiers via Paris on Good Friday and found ourselves snarled up on the Boulevard Peripherique (as one does). In future we'll always go the Rouen > Le Mans > Tours way.

An overnight stop in Parc Futuroscope's car park (just N of Poitiers) between 5pm and 8am only costs 3 Euros and there's an Auchan supermarket close by for refuelling. It's a full day's drive from Calais (about 400 miles).

Looking at your low altitude requirements I'd suggest heading for the Biarritz area (no shortage of Aires there) popping over the border along the coast to San Sebastian, then taking it from there.

I also don't recall the Perpignan > Figueres > Barcelona route as being especially high up either, but altitude is a subjective thing.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I did get lost in Paris last year, in fact we couldnt get out of Paris because the tomtom went haywire

We had a problem caused by it losing its fix as we went in and out of tunnels on the Boulevard Peripherique and it telling us we were in the right lane when we weren't. Never again.

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
We spent about an hour driving round in circles following the tomtom LOL was totally unprepared, this time ive got a map:winky:
We did get lost a couple of times on the way and so im not sure of the exact route we took but it did make your ears pop.
I was looking at the san sebastian route, any idea on the terrain from there down through zaragoza to the coast. Thanks

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont see how you can avoid mountains even on the coast road from France to Spain

From France on the D914 to Spain N270 I think its about 700 mt above sea level
At Cerbere but thats not the top.

I cant remember but i think its over 1000mt but not sure.

Cant you sale into Spain from the UK

Mel

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Came down the Abbeyville, Rouen, Chartres, Vierzon, Limoges route last week and it was a clear run with no problems.:thumb:

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Hi well I guess im prepared to come across some higher ground and hopefully it wont be a problem but would like to find a flatter route if possible.
Although im begining to wonder if I shouldnt just head to Skegness instead:cry:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
No not Skeggy

Head south take your time you will find a way someone on here will have the answer.

What is the max altitude you can cope with and forhow long.

Dont forget you are soon overthehills.

Mel

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
I think its the dramatic changes in pressure that are more of the risk, so slowly increasing pressure is better. It will be slowly increasing in our big bus:ROFLMAO: another reason to avoid the big hills

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had a problem caused by it losing its fix as we went in and out of tunnels on the Boulevard Peripherique and it telling us we were in the right lane when we weren't. Never again.

The sat nav in my Discovery has a gyro compass and an input from each wheel via the ABS computer, and thus still knows where you are even if it loses the satellite system for a bit. Quite clever and good in cities but not likely to happen with an add-on sat nav, and no help to me on the Horiphique as its not in my MH:Sad:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
When we did the Spain run a couple of years ago we did this route...

Calias...A16 to Abbeyville..A28 to Rouen...(never came across this infamous lo-Bridge)..A13/N154 Evreaux/Nonacourt..Dreaux ..Chartres..N154 Chevilly..A71 Orleans..A71 Vierzon..A20 Chateroux..A20 Limoges..A20 Donzenac..Cahors..Toulouse..A61 Carcassonne/Narbonne..A9 to border at La Jonquers..

That was more or less our route to "The Sun" as I said a couple of years ago a lot of it is Non Toll (FREE)..when we did use the Peage we certainly didn't pay that much but having said that toll prices change i believe there is a web site where you can check prices out (Someone will no doubt put the link on)

Using this route we stayed on Aires at the following places Buchy around 45kms North West of Rouen Mery sur Cher North of Vierzon and Allessac north of Brive la Gaillarde (but there is a better aires at Donzenac..)

Hope this helps..

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I forgot I'd posted this on another site (Not The Dark Side..)

We disembarked at Calais and overnighted at our first aires at Buchy around 50Kms North of Rouen...in total it took us 3 days to cross France using the Aires..Buchy.....Mer sur Cher....Allessac driving around 250/350 miles a day on the "N Routes" not on the Peage and that was comfortable driving...having been an HGV driver for many years.. driving a fair distance in a day is not an issue for me

The route we took was:

Calais...Rouen.....Dreaux.....Chartres.....Orleans.....Vierzon.....Chateroux.....Limoges.....Brive.....Cahors.....Toulouse.....Carcassonne.....Narbonne.....Perpignan and on to La Jonquera across the border

Before we crossed the border we stopped at a site in Alet les Bains to do the washing and wash the van (Have to look good when you cross the border) just for a couple of nights and then off

Obviously there are other routes other ways but this one suited us

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Thanks for that do you reach high altitudes on this route? because I was wondering about the mountains along from Toulouse to Narbonne.
Would it be a good route for someone not quite so experienced with a bigger vehicle. Narrow roads etc ?:RollEyes:
Cheers

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
I forgot I'd posted this on another site (Not The Dark Side..)

We disembarked at Calais and overnighted at our first aires at Buchy around 50Kms North of Rouen...in total it took us 3 days to cross France using the Aires..Buchy.....Mer sur Cher....Allessac driving around 250/350 miles a day on the "N Routes" not on the Peage and that was comfortable driving...having been an HGV driver for many years.. driving a fair distance in a day is not an issue for me

The route we took was:

Calais...Rouen.....Dreaux.....Chartres.....Orleans.....Vierzon.....Chateroux.....Limoges.....Brive.....Cahors.....Toulouse.....Carcassonne.....Narbonne.....Perpignan and on to La Jonquera across the border

Before we crossed the border we stopped at a site in Alet les Bains to do the washing and wash the van (Have to look good when you cross the border) just for a couple of nights and then off

Obviously there are other routes other ways but this one suited us
Any idea on toll charges for this route:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back