LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We are planning to go to London in May, we can not go into the Lez zone, so looking at staying at CCC Chertsey site for a week then going to the Winsor area so CL's CS's or any suggestions.

Not been to London for many a year so any helpful suggestions woud be useful.

1. Transport, what is the Oyster card and is it worth it.

2. the train is one and half miles from churtsey site any ideas of anywhere nearer.

Any info would be good. thanks

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
The oyster card is a pre-payment card, for use on Londons buses and tubes. I think they are a weekly travel card but much cheaper than buying tickets each time you travel.
Chertsey is the nearest site to Windsor and Hampton Court that has full facilities that I know of.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
We use Walton on Thames CCC but it hasnt got full facilities ( no shower/loo block) Nearest Station is Hersham - nearer than Chertsy to a station but still a walk! Bus stop nearer will take you to Esher station or Hampton Court or Thames Ditton.

Theres a CL near to Dorney Lake we looked at when we hoped to go to Olympic rowing - but again no facilities!

we keep an oyster card topped up for trips into London ( you can use it from Thames Ditton station but not the others) its cheaper and very convenient
Transport for london website tells you how to buy them

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We had the same issue with the low emission zone as we are going to London for the Prudential Ride london event on 3rd and 4th August. It is not near Windsor but the site we picked is Lee Valley at Chingford as it is just outside the low emission zone and has a nice easy cycle route into London partly along a canal path. It also has good transport links to the centre of London too so bus and tube would be easy. I have added a link below in case you can't find anything nearer to Windsor. ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
The Oyster makes bus journeys much cheaper .:Cool:
If you get time walk along the South Bank which will take you up to the Tate and you will be able to walk over the millenium bridge to St Pauls . If you continue to walk past the Tate this will take you to Borough market (Open Fri,Sat,) lots of food stalls , free nibbles & pubs. The market itself has a great atmosphere . Southwark Cathedral is right by the market and is beautiful. Also the Shard is a few minutes away from the market.
Keep walking on the South bank and this will take you to Tower Bridge .
I'm not sure if you will be up to walking but if you are then an Oyster card comes in handy for when you get tired .
If you want to experience the tube , the Jubilee line will take you Stratford (shopping) of Canary Wharf which I enjoy walking round. This line will also enable you to get off at Wesminister and everything is a short walk from there, St James's Park, Buckingham Palace .
To be honest there is so much to see/do , planning will be needed :Eeek:
Enjoy yourself and if you get lost as they say ask a policeman :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

boy am glad i kept my petrol motorhome. it is only 3.5 ton. so i can still vist my friends in london.and park in there drive.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The Oyster makes bus journeys much cheaper .:Cool:
If you get time walk along the South Bank which will take you up to the Tate and you will be able to walk over the millenium bridge to St Pauls . If you continue to walk past the Tate this will take you to Borough market (Open Fri,Sat,) lots of food stalls , free nibbles & pubs. The market itself has a great atmosphere . Southwark Cathedral is right by the market and is beautiful. Also the Shard is a few minutes away from the market.
Keep walking on the South bank and this will take you to Tower Bridge .
I'm not sure if you will be up to walking but if you are then an Oyster card comes in handy for when you get tired .
If you want to experience the tube , the Jubilee line will take you Stratford (shopping) of Canary Wharf which I enjoy walking round. This line will also enable you to get off at Wesminister and everything is a short walk from there, St James's Park, Buckingham Palace .
To be honest there is so much to see/do , planning will be needed :Eeek:
Enjoy yourself and if you get lost as they say ask a policeman :thumb:

Thanks just the kind of information I am looking for, now I have found the print tool for individual posts will print this off. :thumb:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We had the same issue with the low emission zone as we are going to London for the Prudential Ride london event on 3rd and 4th August. It is not near Windsor but the site we picked is Lee Valley at Chingford as it is just outside the low emission zone and has a nice easy cycle route into London partly along a canal path. It also has good transport links to the centre of London too so bus and tube would be easy. I have added a link below in case you can't find anything nearer to Windsor. ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Thanks for that will check it out.:Smile:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Carol

An oyster is a must for travelling in London if you are not going to be buying one day travel cards. The cost without an oyster is nearly twice as much.

Sonja

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I forgot to mention, if you want to get a good view of london along the river at night then you will need to be on Waterloo bridge. Wait until its dark and the views of the London Eye, houses of parliment/Big Ben , the finanacial city are all fantastic to see from the bridge . Enjoy:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Remember if you have a bus pass (sorry I don't know how old you are) then bus travel is free in London.

We recently stayed in the CC Crystal Palace site and caught the bus into London every day, free.

But this site may not be helpful to you as I think it is inside the LEZ.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OOii cheeky...........Morocco is on the cards for next year so got to get these things in while we can :Eeek:

Hey, Morocco is civilised. London, well it's full of foreigners, innit.

Must talk Morocco over the WE. I fancy returning, Dinah doesn't.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like Chertsey.

Come out of the site and turn left and there is a pub/restaurant that gives 20% discount upon production of your site receipt:thumb:

Or keep going over the bridge and then cross the road onto the banks of the Thames. Lovely walk to another pub on the lock.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Remember if you have a bus pass (sorry I don't know how old you are) then bus travel is free in London.

We recently stayed in the CC Crystal Palace site and caught the bus into London every day, free.

But this site may not be helpful to you as I think it is inside the LEZ.

Your very kind :Smile: but I am old enough,but our bus passes are Welsh we live on the boarder so they won't work Cystal Palace would have been our first choice but its in the Lez zone so can not use it, many years ago used it and found it good.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I forgot to mention, if you want to get a good view of london along the river at night then you will need to be on Waterloo bridge. Wait until its dark and the views of the London Eye, houses of parliment/Big Ben , the finanacial city are all fantastic to see from the bridge . Enjoy:thumb:

Sounds good, but would we be able to get back to the site at night, I am really looking forward to it, must be 20 years since I last went to London.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
oyster is essential in london you pre charge it and it nearly halves the cost on a bus if you register it you can reclaim the money if its lost

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Thanks for that will check it out.:Smile:

Link Removed

The added extra with the Lee Valley site is you will have funsters nearby if anything untoward happens. You could even have a mini meet evening :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Another one a little further out is at debden. We havent taken a ride out there in a few years but the site was being upgraded in time to take campers for the olympics last year.

Here is the link

http://www.debdenhouse.com/

If you want any more info on Lee Valley or debden pm me xxxxx

Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi Carol
We have used Lee Valley it is really good,great place to stop.
A days travel card purchased on site for under £8 covering areas 1234
along with a bus running every ten or so min, within a sort walk, and easy access to central London.
We found it so good and simple when we visited Strattford.to see our son

Regards vana

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Hi Carole Apps Court farm is now taking bookings a mile from Hampton Court Station,nice walk along the river to Hampton Court.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Carole Apps Court farm is now taking bookings a mile from Hampton Court Station,nice walk along the river to Hampton Court.::bigsmile:

Thank you so much for that one looks really good, have just spoken to them really helpful people and as long as we do not go over one particular bridge it is outside the LEZ zone, the cycling looks great. :thumb:

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Thats great Carol they are nice people we live just down the road,have a great time::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back