LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I can see why motorhomers buy three before getting the right layout - I haven't yet bought my first, and I keep changing my mind about the type of vehicle, let alone the layout :ROFLMAO: .

I'm limited by my drive, realistically less than 6.5m
I want a fixed bed
I originally thought something along the lines of a Chausson Flash 04 or similar.

I'd discounted completely a PVC because they have a much smaller interior, and are much more expensive relatively for the space...

But now I'm thinking a PVC would be good... because they're much smaller :RollEyes:.
It'll only be me (+ hopefully a dog of some description), so really should be "big" enough...
As for the cost, I was thinking that if I didn't need a car for daily use, a PVC could effectively be cheaper...

What do you think, am I crazy?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Rapido make a lovely PVC van with a fixed rear bed and all the toys, it is really nice, give Paul or Adrian a call on Wokingham Motorhomes and hav a chat:thumb:

Tel: 0118 979 1023

I have a couple of new Pilotes with fixed beds at rear.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/new-pilote-stock-motorhomes.html

Might give you some ideas

Good luck

Peter

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
As a newbie with our first van, we have settled on a PVC 5.5m in length. For me, the missus and the large dog, its fine. Originally I was after a u shape lounge on a PVC, but over time, I looked at all the options, compromised on price and ended up with a MWB van, that has the option of two singles or a double on a forward lounge. In terms of making the beds, its easy, takes 2 mins max. If the double bed is a must, Tribute now have a PVC with a double fixed. In terms of using it as a main vehicle, one of the attractions of a smaller PVC is its ease of every day use. You quickly become an expert at adjusting your route/parking routine to accommodate a van. I think you could make it work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes you can easy make it work :thumb: you soon get used to using a van-I went years where I used my work van daily and she used the car.Even when I was home all the time I used to use the van. One year Ann managed to put a whole 100 mls on the car from one MOT to the other :Smile: and 18 of those were by me taking it 9 mls each way to the main dearlers to keep it under G-tee ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can see why motorhomers buy three before getting the right layout - I haven't yet bought my first, and I keep changing my mind about the type of vehicle, let alone the layout :ROFLMAO: .

I'm limited by my drive, realistically less than 6.5m
I want a fixed bed
I originally thought something along the lines of a Chausson Flash 04 or similar.

I'd discounted completely a PVC because they have a much smaller interior, and are much more expensive relatively for the space...

But now I'm thinking a PVC would be good... because they're much smaller :RollEyes:.
It'll only be me (+ hopefully a dog of some description), so really should be "big" enough...
As for the cost, I was thinking that if I didn't need a car for daily use, a PVC could effectively be cheaper...

What do you think, am I crazy?

No, you're not crazy and this is something we thought about too but for what we do at home we discounted the idea of using just a motorhome/PVC as it would end up with lots of miles being put on running around locally. Funnily enough we used to have a Chausson Flash 04 and at only 6m long it isn't massive but it is wide at 2.3m so not really car park friendly, we changed last year to a Autocruise Accent which is a very similar layout but just in PVC form at 6m x 2.05m which is just 'right' for us but we still have other transport too, but that's another story!

As there's just you and a dog to consider, one of the shorter wheelbase vans without a fixed bed would be worth considering, as a fixed bed takes up a lot of space and therefore adds to the length and reduces the ease of use for normal day to day running around. You might also want to consider some of the smaller coachbuilts such as the Romahome range. Personally, though, if I was on my own I'd seriously consider the Autocruise Jazz.

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I use a small pop up top van as an only vehicle (in the UK) and consider it would be practical for me to use a PVC, as my local trips are quite limited. I think the best is to think about where you go, the size of the parking spaces, are there any height barriers and distances covered are typical considerations. If you travel to work you would also need to consider the insurance as many motorhome policies do not cover commuting to work. (Sorry about using that four letter swear starting with W).:RollEyes:

My current van has served me well having done 35,000 miles and 387 nights since August 2008 but I have looked at the options of changing to a PVC and think the transverse fixed bed is the way I would go. Most of the other designs do not seem to have suitable storage for items such as Ramps, power cables & water hoses. Also my fold up bike would go under a fixed bed. I just need to sort out where to keep a PVC, my current van goes in the garage when not in use.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only problem with most PVC transverse beds is size as limited by the width of the van :Smile:Only the new shape Fiat stable vans are over 6 ft wide (6ft 3 ins -ish)Hence in my op the only vans to use if you must/want a tranverse fixed bed :Smile:You could of course use a longtitudinal bed layout :winky::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming for 4 years now over half of that in a LWB fiat ducato self build. If it's big enough for a solo fulltimer I can't see it being a problem for any other non fulltiming solo. It is great for supermarkets etc.

If and I say if I ever move back into a house I will probably keep a PVC as my sole vehicle.

Upvote 0

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
We have used our self build SWB/Med.high top Transit as our only vehicle for nearly four years now. The only problems we've encountered are when we come across height restrictions.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back