May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi.

Have just been to where I store my Autotrail & discovered that some little sh*t has splashed what looks like blobs of paint stripper/acid down one side of the van. :cry:
As well as the paintwork it has also gone on the kitchen & rear lounge windows !

Does anybody know where I can get get the replacement windows from (hasn't touched the frame just large blob in centre of each window).

Just what we needed at the start of the season. :Sad::cry::cry::Sad:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
How deep are the marks on the windows-- some times shallow markings can be sanded down with a graded paper sander,and compounded out with a machine out so that it cannot be seen afterwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Flippin Vandals

:helpsos:

I don't suppose anybody knows the paint code for the white paint, for the patches which the paint stripper/acid has bubbled up along one side ?

The van is a 2006 Autotrail Apache 700 SE.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ stock most sizes of windows -- Phone and ask because I am certain Mick knows where you can get just the plastic/glass bits
joner8888 is also right you can get them polished out if you don't fancy around ÂŁ300 a window :Smile:
terry

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Two words spring to mind....Insurance Claim!
Its ?hit when things like this happen,however that's what we pay premiums for.
Let them take the hassle and sort it out!

Vlad

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the help

Only problem claiming on insurance, then my premiums jump up (no protected no-claims on motorhome).

Think I'll have a go at sanding/polishing the windows, nothing to loose ?

:Sad: :Sad:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
:helpsos:

I don't suppose anybody knows the paint code for the white paint, for the patches which the paint stripper/acid has bubbled up along one side ?

The van is a 2006 Autotrail Apache 700 SE.

I can tell you what code /mix number you will need to order any paint from a supplier in your area on Monday.
I can then access my paint scheme mix pc for saved formulations and give you a mix number you need.
Different paint suppliers in your area use different paint companies/ i have a cross reference list.:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi.

Have just been to where I store my Autotrail & discovered that some little sh*t has splashed what looks like blobs of paint stripper/acid down one side of the van. :cry:
As well as the paintwork it has also gone on the kitchen & rear lounge windows !

Does anybody know where I can get get the replacement windows from (hasn't touched the frame just large blob in centre of each window).

Just what we needed at the start of the season. :Sad::cry::cry::Sad:

Sorry to hear about your van. I hope it can be polished out and Joner can fix you up with the right paint..:thumb:

I would seriously think about changing where you store your can though. You could get everything fixed up then the little sh*ts strike again.....

:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only problem claiming on insurance, then my premiums jump up (no protected no-claims on motorhome).

Think I'll have a go at sanding/polishing the windows, nothing to loose ?

:Sad: :Sad:

It may be worth mentioning it to your ins first stateing that you are trying the repair yourself thus not needing to claim but if you cannot fix it you may need to make a claim :Smile:
terry

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Its a shame you are so far from Somerset or you could have let Joner8888 work his magic on your paintwork. He would have done a good job and even given you some funster discount.:thumb:

You could of course work a visit to him into a tour of the west country.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Joner 8888 has done work on my van several time VERY GOOD JOB & a GOOD PRICE:winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could try some toothpaste on the windows, gentle circular action in small circles, with a clean non-abrasive cloth, this is what hubby had done when we've had shallow and deep scratches on windows and roof vents and has always sorted them out, I also believe that Brasso is good for this too. Worth a try.::bigsmile:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Pissed off for you!!!

I am so upset and angry for you, it's a good job I didn't witness it or there'd be hell to play for, it's times like this that you just want to allow public floggings again. Good luck with the repairs too:thumb:

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
You could try some toothpaste on the windows, gentle circular action in small circles, with a clean non-abrasive cloth, this is what hubby had done when we've had shallow and deep scratches on windows and roof vents and has always sorted them out, I also believe that Brasso is good for this too. Worth a try.::bigsmile:

Hi.

Unfortunately it looks like they may have used nitromors gel paint remover? the patches on the windows have set thick & solid as though someone had thrown super glue on them ?

Will get quotes for paintwork, but looks like it's an insurance jobbie.

As soon as work has been done - IT WILL BE GETTING MOVED TO A DIFFERENT SITE.

Thanks for everybodys help.:thumb:

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I decided to go through my insurance & took the day off on Thursday to get a couple of quotes.

There is damage to the kitchen window, rear lounge window, window in the entrance door (which according to the two quotes ,it is probably cheaper to fit a new door) & needs a full respray of all the passenger side (which means new decals as well) - it looks like the cost is going to be around the ÂŁ2k mark.

Just hope that the insurance company doesn't drag their feet, the van is still usable just looks a bit tatty ?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What motivates people to do this sort of thing?

It's bloody sick.:Angry:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Good luck with the repair and hope its sorted ASAP. Did you info plod and were you parked with other motorhomes, just in case the little buggers damaged more peoples pride and joy?:Angry:

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Next door

Has anyone been working\painting a van\camper next to yours? what sort of site is it farm\yard why would someone have that sort of stuff with them? a bit of Sherlock Holmes needed.

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
It is on a farm & nobody has been painting anything. I think the farmer threw somebody off a couple of months before & a month later 6 caravans were broken into (but nothing taken) they have now moved off the site, they didn't break into the motorhome (prob scared of setting alarm off?). After this I will be shortly moving mine, so it will definitely be hitting the farmer's pocket?
I reported it to the police who said that it was obviously premeditated but there was no evidence to prove who did it?
It has been parked there 2 years without any problems, you don't expect this sort of thing in the middle of the countryside?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back