Oaktree Motorhomes Nottingham (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Hello, Complete novice here! Husband and I are planning a trip to see a motor home at Oaktree Motorhomes in Nottingham on Monday, provided they don't sell it over the weekend. Has anyone had any dealings with them in the past, negative or positive? I've bought, read and digested the Motorhome Buyers Guide, but still feel very nervous at the thought of actually putting newly learnt skills into practice. We've spent the last few years dreaming and hopefully this year will finally take the plunge. Hoping to take what will be our 1st test drive, so wish us luck! Any advice will be gratefully received.:help:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not had any dealings with them...

But have a good look round other dealers if you can, and perhaps get to a show..

Peterborough next weekend, and there always was a good selection of dealers there, and possibly some good deals to be had...

Take your time .. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Daughter bought one off them last month, everything fine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yes we bought our Frankia i800 last August 2012.. and found them spot all, no probs everything thing they said they would do they did, had to have a replacement water pump whilst holidaying in France .. sent the invoice and received a cheque within a day of two of sending .. but you can only go on what you have experienced..

Some one may come on and say what a rum deal thy had but in our case found them very good

Hope you find your ideal m/h :thumb::thumb:

John n Kath

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Thank you for posting a reply. We're going to Peterborough too and plan to visit Wellsbridge motorhomes whille we're in that neck of the woods. Went to Lincoln and Peterborough a couple of years ago, drooling! We live in Norfolk so have popped into Becks and Simpsons regularly over the years, but only to narrow down the layout we'd like etc. Never been for a test drive, because we've not been in a position to buy until now. Its quite unsettling to at last be at this stage!:Eeek:

Upvote 0

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
It is all very exciting but try and sample what you think you want as it can turn out not to be at all..
We started out with a smaller van then a second upgrade which taught us what we really wanted and needed ...alot of m/homers say it is the 3rd van that is what suits you the best

We love the m/h that we have now and have no desire to upgrade or change for a newer model ..we just love it :thumb::thumb:

Do look at all types of m/h's and think of what you need especially on a dark damp day which can be so different on a sunny day ..

Good luck with finding "the one"

John n Kath

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Thank you for posting a reply. We're going to Peterborough too and plan to visit Wellsbridge motorhomes whille we're in that neck of the woods. Went to Lincoln and Peterborough a couple of years ago, drooling! We live in Norfolk so have popped into Becks and Simpsons regularly over the years, but only to narrow down the layout we'd like etc. Never been for a test drive, because we've not been in a position to buy until now. Its quite unsettling to at last be at this stage!:Eeek:

You say you have been to Becks but only to narrow search, speak to them and see if they can source your preferred motorhome.......excellent company:thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
If you are nearby have a look at David Fuller, we were pleased with deal and service a couple of years ago. Mechanical and habitation handover could not be more helpful especially important to you if new.
:thumb:

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I would also highly recommend John at Becks Motorhomes

Peter

Peter he is like you, he says it as it is and if a deal can be done so both parties are happy then the deal is done.:thumb:

So JACQ if you can get to JCM then you can also buy from a good dealer :thumb:

The hardest thing to do is to get the right format that suits all your needs :thumb:

Good luck :thumb:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Jacq, welcome to the fun house. ::bigsmile:

Have you been in touch and told them that you want to test drive the MH? The reason I ask is that when we went there in the past they were VERY reluctant to let us do so unless we'd signed-up to say we'd buy the van if the drive was okay!!! :whatthe: After we got up to leave they changed their mind but it wasn't a 'pleasant' experience to feel under such pressure. Don't get me wrong, there are tyre kickers out there (not that you're one!) but they knew we were serious about this particular MH which, in then end, we didn't like driving etc and it was a right rattle-box on the road, but the 'hard sell' and the implication that we were wasting THEIR time was quite OTT.

Maybe things have changed since then ... :Blush:

One thing I WOULD suggest that you do though is not to take any credit cards with you, or large amounts of cash, that way you can't be tempted or feel under pressure to do a deal there and then and regret it later ... if they want the sale any 'deal' they come up with would wait until you got home to ring your credit card details through!

Before you go make sure you've thought about what you MUST have, what you would LIKE to have, and what you do NOT want ... write it all down as a check list and use it as a reminder to keep you on the 'straight and narrow' as it is very easy to be 'diverted' when you look at nice shiny 'big expensive toys'!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Thank you to everyone for their comments and advice. I have sent a message through their site asking whether we can test drive the model we're interested in on Monday. If they don't respond we won't be going, its over 100 miles from us and wouldn't bode well if their customer service pre sales was that poor. Any hard selling will really put me off, can't stand it and I will walk away. Points taken about Becks, buying from them would be our ideal. They do appear to price their stock higher than other dealers though, or is that my imagination? We might feel a little awkward haggling over price etc, our youngest went to school with one of their children. I would feel more comfortable dealing with a complete stranger really, although they are really decent people. Good idea to make a list of must have's, desirables etc. On the must have list will be fixed bed(s) that can be accessed without gymnastics (back problems), at least 3 belted seats, roomy enough to house 2 Scottish Terriers, spare 500kg of payload and size compatible with our driveway. Desirable, the list is endless, extra bed, larger fridge, external shower (for the dogs!) and BBQ point, refillable gas canisters, bike rack, more payload. Debatable are aircon & solar panel, not made our minds up about either. Would prefer to keep weight to 3500kg but could be seduced by right van! The reason we're hoping to go to Nottingham is the van, it has an island bed, but its at the very top end of our budget. We've seen some twin bed vans online too, and are hoping to see some at Peterborough. War and Peace over!:Eeek:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't be put off by other comments, daughter had a cracking deal with them and they dealt with a small problem afterwards immediately. Nothing to me but just my thoughts

Upvote 0

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
You need to haggle and haggle hard, If at top end of budget get it down to a happier price, the dealer will have a good margin with vehicles on the fourcourt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
I'd like to haggle hard as I won't forgive myself if I don't, but I am very much aware that our 'must haves' reduce our options quite a bit. We really love U shaped rear lounges but the fixed bed is an absolute must, due to my back problems. We saw a van with fixed bed above a garage in Simpsons a couple of weeks ago, but access was challenging and would have been impossible if my back was at its worst! We currently camp in a Pennine Folding camper and although the beds are fairly comfortable, access is gradually becoming more of a problem. I think french, twin or island bed would be the most sensible solution for us, but obviously this will mean compromising in other areas. We want to try to get it right 1st time, :ROFLMAO:, we've spent our lives being very sensible and level headed so buying a motorhome seems very selfish and risky! I think we've sussed the right layout, but we're unsure of the right size. We would like panel van size with RV space:winky:. Don't want to buy something too small/large and regret it later. This forum is brilliant, well worth the £10, everyone has been really helpful. Its good to get varied opinion and advice without being made to feel stupid, so thank you everyone!

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Jacq,

Why not give my Andy a ring on 01-580-881288 and have a chat to him, from what you say we may have a suitable van in stock

Good luck

Peter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Oh, I don't know, I thought he meant he'd got a panel van sized RV, We'd pay top whack for one of those!:party2:, I'm a she by the way.:lipstick:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
No worries:lipstick: ..... a haggling female, run for cover!:Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Well we went after a salesman called on Saturday to confirm we could test drive on the Monday. Didn't actually test drive the Island bed model as we were disappointed with its condition given price and age, and felt kitchen storage was too compromised by island bed. We did test drive a Hobby 750 instead though. Really liked the layout, but not the price or condition considering the price. Having said that we may be expecting too much, and viewing more models will hopefully give us a benchmark to go by. We only had time to visit one more dealer and went to Edgehill Motorhomes, where we were very impressed by the owner, who spent quite some time with us, giving general advice with absolutely no pressure what so ever. He deals mainly with Hymers, which he appears to lavish with attention. All his motorhomes we went into were immaculate, which was a massive contrast. I think the day has clarified our thoughts size wise. Very tempted by a tag axle Hymer (as they are referred to) or similar sized Hobby. He also suggested we try to get to Peterborough on Thursday as campers, rather than waiting until Saturday if we are hoping to benefit from a bargain buy. He talked to us about warranties and suggested questions to ask about them. All in all a worthwhile trip. Mr Jacq has now (amazingly) managed to get leave for Thursday and Friday so we're :thumb:praying for reasonable weather as we will be camping in a folding camper. If you see 2 blue people wandering around in a daze it'll be us!:thumb: Since coming home I've seen a 2002 HYMER 754 on Springfields website. I will admit to being seduced by the upholstery, but does anyone have any educated comments about it? Unfortunately they are not going to be at Peterborough, so it would mean another long drive though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
The unhappy face at the top of my previous post wasn't invited, it hijacked my post!

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I am only 6 miles away spring fields in bridlington :thumb:
The hymer at springfields is spot on, But will need cleaning,
I bought my 2008 Tribute from him and it was disgusting, dog hairs all over and not cleaned or polished on the outside ether, But saying that I can not fault the service managers after sales skills, hes put right everything I wanted putting right since buying it

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Have you seen these?

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

It is hard to get the right layout first time :thumb:

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
For Hymers, have a look at At Bundesvan Link Removed - the second ad in the previous post 'Mango House' is Bundesvan.

Alternatively check out Peter Hambilton also for Hymers
Link Removed

Upvote 0

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
We bought our Burstner from Oaklands last October - traded in a sb merc sprinter. Got a very good deal. Customer services were excellent. We had two minor problems - which they ordered parts from Burstner and sent them out to us. We would certainly buy from them again.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back