LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Most of you know about the toll roads fiasco in Portugal, but now been mostly sorted out, just found good example of information on all road tolls in Portugal and pretty good explanation on types of payment, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Electronic tolls /

There are some highways in Portugal on which the tolls are electronic only. It means that there are no cabins and the passing of vehicles is detected by devices placed at the beginning of those highways.
The highways are identified at the beginning with: "Electronic toll only".

The highways concerned:

Norte Litoral (Littoral North-highway)
- A27/IP9: Viana do Castelo - Ponte de Lima
- A28/IC1: Viana do Castelo - Porto

AE Transmontana
- A4: Variante Sul de Bragança

Interior Norte
- A24/IP3: Vila Verde da Raia (border) - Viseu

Grande Porto
- A4: Matosinhos - Águas Santas
- A41/IC24: Perafita/Freixieiro - Sêroa (Oeste)
- A42/IC25: Sêroa (Oeste) - Lousada

Centro (Costa de Prata)
- A17/IC1: Estádio de Aveiro - Mira – Autoestrada do Litoral Centro (entre Mira e Aveiro)
- A25/IP5: Albergaria-a-velha (A1/IP1) - Vilar Formoso (fronteira)
- A29/IC1: Miramar - Angeja

Centro (Beira Interior)
- A23/IP6: Torres Novas - Guarda

Lisboa Region (Pinhal Interior)
- A13/IC3: Atalaia - Tomar

Lisboa Região (west littoral)
- A8/IC36: Variante Sul de Leiria
- A19/IC2: Variante da Batalha

Baixo Tejo
- A33 - Belverde - Coina

Algarve (Via do Infante)
- A22: Lagos - Castro Marim

FOREIGN LICENSE PLATE VEHICLES (www.portugaltolls.pt)

Toll card
Pre-loaded card with a fixed amount of 5, 10, 20 or 40 € to be consumed depending on circulation in electronic only tolls. This solution allows payment in cash or with bankcard.
Where to buy: Easy Toll’s Welcome Points, at CTT post-offices or on www.ctt.pt / www.portugaltolls.pt, service areas in Portugal and Spain, member Hotel Units and tourist offices.
After purchasing the card, the driver shall proceed to its activation by sending an SMS by mobile phone with the code printed on the card and the license plate of the vehicle (instructions on the card), so that it is associated with the license plate of the vehicle. You can activate more than one card, with the accumulation of balances.
Validity: one year or until spending the amount loaded

Toll service
- prepaid ticket for light vehicles, ready to use, with a fixed charge of €20, with unlimited use for 3 days or
- acquisition of pre-paid tickets with previously defined journeys (journey from Spain - Porto Airport, via A28 or A41 (round trip) or journey from Spain - Faro Airport via A22 (round trip)).
Where to buy: www.ctt.pt / http://www.portugaltolls.pt, Easy Toll's Welcome Points on border posts located at: EN13 – Vila Nova de Cerveira, A24 Chaves, A25 – Vilar Formoso and A22 – Vila Real de Santo António, Porto Airport and Faro Airport), Matosinhos IKEA, Service Areas (A28 – Viana and Modivas, A25 – Celorico da Beira, A23 – Abrantes, A22 – Olhão, A24 – Vidago) and Post-offices.

Easy Toll
Automatic payment of electronic tolls, with the association of a credit card (Mastercard and Visa) to the license plate of the vehicle.
Where to access: Welcome Points located at the border posts at the following locations EN13 – Vila Nova de Cerveira, A24-Chaves, A25 – Vilar Formoso and A22 – Vila Real de Santo António.
How to access: The driver, not having to leave the vehicle, enters the credit card in the payment terminal and the system automatically associates the vehicle's license plate to the bankcard. The tolls rates owed are directly debited to the account associated with the card.
Validity: At the time of accession, valid for 30 days, a ticket is issued as proof and must be kept.
The driver is always able to change license plates or cancel the membership, through the Call Center 707 500 501 (National) or 00 351 212 879 555 (from abroad) or www.portugaltolls.pt.

Via Verde Visitors
The driver may rent a Temporary ‘Via Verde Visitors' Device to be consumed depending on circulation that has the advantage of being also used also on traditional tolls.
Cost of rental: € 6 in the first week, and 1.50 € for each week after that; initial deposit € 27.50 (value refunded upon return of the device).
Validity: 90 days, extendable.
Where to rent: www.viaverde.pt, Via Verde Stores or service areas.

PORTUGUESE LICENSE PLATE VEHICLES

Car hire
When hiring a car, please ask the hire company how payment is to be made regarding electronic tolls. For their customers convenience, some car hiring companies have already installed devices on their vehicles and the costs of using the tolls are added at the client’s bill.
If the vehicles are not equipped with electronic devices, the payment of electronic tolls is normally done by the customers at Post Offices.

Payment after having circulated at the roads concerned (only available for vehicles with a Portuguese license plate)
If a vehicle does not have an electronic device when circulating at the highways concerned, a photo of the license plate will be made and saved until the payment is made.
Term for payment: the payment can be made at the second day after having circulated at the roads mentioned above and for a period of five weekdays, at the post office or at one of the shops signalized as “Payshop”.
Costs: normal toll costs + administrative costs (an amount €0,25 for every time the roads were used with a maximum of €2 for each payment made)
Note: when a payment term has passed, the driver is in violation of the rules, and fines will be added to the administrative costs.

Payment through electronic devices

In order for the vehicles to use the above mentioned highways, they should have an electronic device, which must be bought or hired beforehand at a Service Area (Área de Serviço) alongside the highways or at a post office (CTT/Correios). There are three types of electronic devices:

Electronic license plate device (Dispositivo electrónico de matrícula - DEM): the device is linked to the vehicle's license plate and cannot be transmitted to other cars.
Obtaining: at the highway service areas or other locations like the post offices and the Via Verde Portugal-shops.
Costs: €27,50 to purchase + preloading a minimum €10 for light vehicles and €20 for heavy vehicles.
Validity: valid for 90 days as from the date of the last preload. After this period the remaining balance will be lost and the device will be deactivated. To reactivate the device it will be necessary to re-charge it with a minimum of €10.

Temporary device (Dispositivo temporário - DT): the best solution for a short stay, and as a result for vehicles with a foreign license plate; the license plate is not linked to the device, therefore, anonymity is guaranteed.
Obtaining: it is necessary to establish a lease contract with the responsible entities, at the highway service areas or other locations like the post offices and the Via Verde Portugal-shops.
Costs: deposit of €27,50 (that will be given back to the driver when the device is returned in good condition within a period of 30 days) + preloading a minimum of €10 for light vehicles and €20 for heavy vehicles. The lease has a cost of 6 euros on the first week, and at the following weeks the cost is about 1,50 euros per week.
Validity: valid for 90 days as from the date of the last preload. After this period the remaining balance will be lost and the device will be deactivated. To reactivate the device it will be necessary to re-charge it with a minimum of €10.

Devices from a toll entity (Dispositivo de uma entidade de cobrança de Portagens - DECP) like Via Verde are also accepted on these highways. Although the license plate is not linked to the device, it is necessary to establish a contract with a toll entity. This can be used by vehicles with a foreign license plate that stay in Portugal for a longer period of time.
Obtaining: Via Verde-shops (www.viaverde.pt)
Costs: €27,50 + direct debit from bank account every time the device is used.
Validity: Until the cancelation of the contract

More information:
www.portugaltolls.pt
CTT - Tel: (+351) 707 26 26 26or http://portagens.ctt.pt
Estradas de Portugal: http://www.estradas.pt/portagensestrangeiros

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Garry

we were there in Feb/March and other than travelling down part of IC1 and paying at the booths we avoided other tolls.
We did travel on the I22 in the RV but were informed that the system did not recognise UK plates, there was nowhere to pay and no instructions so I guess that was the case.
Much as we enjoyed our stay in Portugal , because of the toll confusion and the potential cost we probably wont go again.:Sad:
Its their loss :Doh:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i used the a22 in february and to this date still haven't received any notification of a fine :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mate lives in estoi , got a uk reg car , uses a22 regular , not had a fine yet

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
The fine situation is more down to their lack of organisation. As the country slides into deeper debt they are squeezing the lemon 'till the pips pop. The police can stop you and you need to evidence that you have paid otherwise it might be an on the spot fine. The whole situation I think is outrageous. Most of these roads have been gifted to Portugal with EU money and they are using them as a further weapon to extract more from their people who already pay a lot to drive, I think it is very short sighted as it will deter foreign visitors but not only that, it is driving the population off these roads. They are quite empty at the best of times. So they are on minor roads avoiding the electronic tolls and wearing these little roads out. Very soon they will fall into a state of disrepair and I doubt whether the government will have the will or the money to keep up with repairs. When you're on a downward spiral it's hard to put the breaks on.

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi Garry

we were there in Feb/March and other than travelling down part of IC1 and paying at the booths we avoided other tolls.
We did travel on the I22 in the RV but were informed that the system did not recognise UK plates, there was nowhere to pay and no instructions so I guess that was the case.
Much as we enjoyed our stay in Portugal , because of the toll confusion and the potential cost we probably wont go again.:Sad:
Its their loss :Doh:

Hi Larry,

When I entered Portugal this time ((9/3/13) there were proper lanes to go into and well sign posted to either pay by credit card or buy a toll tag so now very simple, but for your visit and mine last year there was nothing, so very confusing to say the least, but now all sorted and very simple, so hope you will go again mate, as it cost me NOTHING to get to the Algave as soon as I entered Portugal on the motorway, I came off at the first exit and went down to the N125 and drove toll free all the way SIMPLES lol:winky: N125 is a fairly good road really and no hassle with any tolls whatsoever, now up Nr Oporto and traveled on National roads all the way very scenic, and again costs nothing, why use motorways when you are not in a hurry, only use when rush to get there or get back for work or something, Mine was a very nice leisurely drive down to Algave and up to here Nr Oporto, very nice to, so don't let the tolls put you off mate, just don't go on them that's all, but if you have to then all you do now is when you get to Portugal, go into one of the lanes marked foreign driver and stop at booth, put cc in put in your reg number and bobs your uncle Fanny's your aunt and your one, then you can go on any motorway you like that only has camera's to record your entry and toll is automatically taken from your card, so you really drive and forget about it now. Hope to see you in Portugal again mate, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I checked this with my wife. She says that you pay a tax according to car type. She pays about 150 euro a year tax. They used to have to display the tax on the windscreen like we do but now they have to keep the receipt with them and show that if they are requested by the police.

Apart from this they have to pay quite high taxes when purchasing new or used cars which seem much more expensive than the UK. Then of course there are the road tolls and these new electronic bandits.

I think since they have stopped having to display tax in the window it may look like they don't pay an annual tax. She drives a Renault Megane estate. Probably there will lower or no tax on some types of vehicle.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
when i enetered portugal i drove into the lanes for the cc to pay the tolls but i decided there was no way i would put my cc into any of them machines so i drove in then out again i intended to pay after using but checked online and you couldnt so said sod it let em fine me
but anyone saying due to these tolls they wont return to portugal is crazy you dont have to use the tolls the 125 through the towns is great also just think what you can save with the great aires in portugal and for just a few euro better than spain i reckon so continue to travel there dont give up on them at least people in portugal are nice to ypou because they wanna be unlike most in spain get paid a little extra to be nice :roflmto:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Please do not be put off Portugal by some of the rubbish talked on here.

We spent February and March there and the tolls are real easy

The electronic ones work on number plate recognition and charge your selected credit/debit card, the others you collect a ticket at the start and pay at the booth as you exit SIMPLE

If you hate paying tolls then these roads can be avoided but before you get dogmatic about it just record your fuel saving, not counting reduced wear and tear which often goes a long way to off setting the cost

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry RogeTeri but...

I have a Portuguese registered Hymer and have many Portuguese friends and colleagues.

There is no road fund licence. You pay for insurance and a "MOT".

JJ:Cool:

PS. They have toll roads in France, Spain, Italy, Spain, UK etc etc... too. Surely we are not put off driving in those places because of them?

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
the tolls in spain and france are more than in portugal i know the fuel can be a little more in portugal but the country is worth the extra cost
i hired a couple of cars in portugal and had to pay tolls for pickups from faro airport these take 48 hours to register and i paid at the post office and the charge wasnt much to wild camp again on the front at sagres i would pay double the tolls (if i had to :Smile:)

Deleted User
the tolls in spain and france are more than in portugal i know the fuel can be a little more in portugal but the country is worth the extra cost
i hired a couple of cars in portugal and had to pay tolls for pickups from faro airport[HI] these take 48 hours to register and i paid at the post office [/HI]and the charge wasnt much to wild camp again on the front at sagres i would pay double the tolls (if i had to :Smile:)

This option is no longer available for foreign registered vehicles, prepayment of some sort is necessary and proof of payment carried with you.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why all the fuss about tolls in Portugal , as someone said you pay them everywhere else so what's the difference

Deleted User
Why all the fuss about tolls in Portugal , as someone said you pay them everywhere else so what's the difference

My problems in the past have been with actually paying the things, when the system was first introduced it was chaotic.

Very simple now either do the number plate recognition/CC link at the border crossing or pay for credit online [HI]before [/HI]using the autoroute. There are other methods but I think these are the simplest, Post Offices in Portugal don't accept credit cards, at least the ones that I have tried don't.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
This option is no longer available for foreign registered vehicles, prepayment of some sort is necessary and proof of payment carried with you.

no idea about foreign regged cars the 1 i paid was for a hire car in portugal and i paid that because they could have used my cc to take a payment or fine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back