Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
URGENT ADVICE PLEASE

Getting ready to go away in Burstner tomorrow and can't fill water tank - it flows out from somewhere under the boiler. No sign of water leaking into the van. We've warmed the dump valve and tried it in several positions but water still comes out.

Any ideas?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Julie, the dump valve? Is it up and have you tried holding it up?

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I assume you pulled the dump valve up untill it clicks, failing that you need to find which emptying pipe the water is coming from and go from there.

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
When you say under the boiler, you mean the truma heater?
Is the drain plug replaced from a drain down?
Has the water been frozen over the winter at all?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If the temperature is below about 8C then the dump valve won't stay closed on its own. Some hold it up with a clothes peg or whatever, but once the van warms up don't forget to take the peg off.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Check dump valve on heater, tank drain (they don't always drop directly under the water tank) and also the stop valves inside the van.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
water problems

There are two valves - one is an automatic dump when it gets cold and empties the hot water tank. The other is manual valve which is horizontal or vertical. According to the book horizontal is closed. We have had a small heater in the van during the winter and all the water was drained out.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Where in staffs are you June?

Sounds either a simple issue or a major disaster, have you tried filling it with you holding up the dump valve?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just a thought, when I had a Burstner it was very easy to accidentally pull out the fresh water tank drain plug when opening the top cover (large screw cap) as it was connected to it by a chain. Might be worth checking if you have had the cover off ......

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
water probs

We're in Newcastle under Lyme and it's raining which doesn't help.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
June, I only live in Haslington, not far from you. If you try all the ideas Im happy to come and have a look for you.

Im running the Handchurch woods 5 mile race tonight. Im sure I could pop in and take a look, but would be about 8-30pm, or could "run" over tomorrow morning (preferable) and cast my [STRIKE]expert[/STRIKE] opinion over it for you.

Used to have this problem often in our Adria, just a case of making sure everything is right, I don't do instruction booklets. :winky:

prefer to go with experiences of whats gone wrong for me before. :roflmto:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
water probs

Current situation@

water in cold tank does not leak. When water pump is run to fill boiler and taps water leaks under the van (can't see under van - water just coming out from chassis.

It seems an awful imposition asking you to come over but I would be very grateful. Partner getting very harassed as he's usually very good at these things.

Evening or morning would be fine. We would want to pay your petrol (and of course sponsor you on your run).,

I don't understand the private messages but if you could send me one I can answer them (!) and give you our address and phone number.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi June, My friend had a similar problem , if you look at the dump valve set it in the position you think is closed then ,on the side of the housing is a little knob which has to be pressed in ( should be on the side but in my friends case it was at the back not visible ) his is a burstner as well , quite easy :Doh: when you know how. He wrang his local deal;er who explained it. Hope this solves it.
Terry:sin:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
water probs

Just found that little knob and it works!!! It was at the back and right out of sight.

THANK YOU SO MUCH everybody. You've all been marvellous. Help flooded in in minutes - amazing. We must come to a rally sometime so we can meet all these amazing people.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Just found that little knob and it works!!! It was at the back and right out of sight.

THANK YOU SO MUCH everybody. You've all been marvellous. Help flooded in in minutes - amazing. We must come to a rally sometime so we can meet all these amazing people.

Told you it would be user error and something simple,,,, saves me a trip, well done :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::beer:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
water probs

Got the PM and replied - I think. The hidden knob had to be held in and now everything works. Didn't know it was there. Don't need your help now thank you but would love to sponsor you in your race. Let me have your address and we'll send a donation. It's a good cause.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
URGENT ADVICE PLEASE

Getting ready to go away in Burstner tomorrow and can't fill water tank - it flows out from somewhere under the boiler. No sign of water leaking into the van. We've warmed the dump valve and tried it in several positions but water still comes out.

Any ideas?

A big thank you to all those who so quickly answered our cry for help. Crisis over. The temperature valve had a button on the back (out of sight) which had to be held in to reset. This is our first winter with this van and we're still learning. Not mentioned in the Burstner book.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Hi June, My friend had a similar problem , if you look at the dump valve set it in the position you think is closed then ,on the side of the housing is a little knob which has to be pressed in ( should be on the side but in my friends case it was at the back not visible ) his is a burstner as well , quite easy :Doh: when you know how. He wrang his local deal;er who explained it. Hope this solves it.
Terry:sin:

You were spot on Terry. My partner had just found a manual of the heater that showed this knob. The general manual was useless. It was completely out of sight. He had spent about 2 hours trying everything and getting nowhere. Like everything - simple when you know how!

Our first trip away tomorrow. (Trying out new wifi aerial I had asked for help on Motorhomefun and of course got all sorts of advice for).

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
:Blush:

I have to say you are not the first to get into trouble over a little knob and you will not be the last:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
water

I've got an A level in Latin but it was nearly 60 years ago. Can't translate your latin. Who hears ...... something to do with water??????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back