leaving bikes on Bike rack full time (1 Viewer)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
As we are going to be away most weekends now in the MH I was considering leaving the 2 bikes on the bike rack (which is fixed to the rear panel) with covers on them. Anyone any comments on
a) leaving bikes on full time, will it cause stress to the rear panel ??
b) bike covers, are they any good ? any recommendations for covers ?

cheers

Ron

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
let me know where u will be i need a couple of bikes :roflmto::roflmto:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A member of RVOC, had two expensive "Electric" bikes covered and well secured at a very busy private Meet/Rally last year "STOLEN"... by some Gypsy`s....:swear:

Cut through a proper security chain and took the covers off to get to the bikes...:Eeek:

So nothing is 100% safe if they are of a mind to nick them...:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
a) leaving bikes on full time, will it cause stress to the rear panel ??
b) bike covers, are they any good ? any recommendations for covers ?
cheers
Ron

As said elsewhere, if the thieves want them, they will be gone! All you can do is make it harder with a good chain and padlock.

Fiamma make a security cable >> http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-cable-lock-2-5m.html

Covers 2 bike >> http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-bike-cover-s-2-to-3-bikes.html

Hope this helps

Peter

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have just come back from our first longish trip in our moho with the bikes on the rack
Ours is a Boxer van conversion and has the rack fixed to one of the rear doors
I was surprised to find that the rack had bent downwards on the 'overhang' side
The bikes are standard, not electric as our previous ones were, so a lot lighter.
So if you are leaving the bikes on the rack for any length of time it is worth checking that you have loaded them with the heavy end, usually the rear, away from the overhanging end of the rack.
The info on the rack says capacity is 35kg which I thought would be ample for our bikes although I have not weighed them, but gives no info on loading for each end of the rack.

As a retired locksmith
An old friend of mine, with many years experience in the trade, told me
'Locks are for honest people, if someone wants it they will have it !'

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
thanks for the replies so far, not too bothered about the theft aspect as if someone wants them they will get them and is parked at the side of our house rear end in during the week. More concerned about the constant weight of the bikes on the rack and the MH may need to try and check rack model No and see if can get any loading info
thanks again

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
More concerned about the constant weight of the bikes on the rack

When parked up your bikes put 1g on the back.

Go over a pothole and you might get 5g or more and that is repeated time and time again.

I don't think you have any problem at all.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We usually leave our bikes on the rack all the time, (2 x 20 odd kilo electric ones) and the van full of all we need for a week away so when we decide to go off we know we don't have to scurry around trying to remember where everything is.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
looks like the bikes can stay on the racks so ready to go, just need to decide if I want to faff about with covers or not

thanks everyone

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
looks like the bikes can stay on the racks so ready to go, just need to decide if I want to faff about with covers or not

thanks everyone

If the bikes are of sufficient value, I would fit a cover, especially when travelling on wet roads.
This will protect them from a lot of dirt.

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011

thanks everyone

If its of any interest to you Argos do a barbecue cover which has a bit more substance to it compared to the Fiamma bike cover and its big enough to cover two standard bikes.
I only wish I had known about this before spending a fortune on fiamma covers!!
Catalogue Number 345/0712

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
avoid the Fiamma covers they are not good quality and cost "A lot" :Eeek:

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
New Biker

My Eldiss Aspire had to have a towbar fitted to take a bike rack since they (Eldiss) won't ratify one stuck on the rear panel. Very expensive option because Witter is the only type approved towbar although I did get a cracking deal from Discount Towing Services in Hull who charged me less (delivered) than my local towbar dealer can buy them for!
I bought two electric bikes and took them away last weekend for the first time. Unlike our normal luck, everything went perfectly apart from the Halfords cover which must be big enough to take half a dozen bikes (slight exaggeration but you get the point?). Lots of spare ends to tuck away to enable the indicators and lights to be seen so I'm now purchasing a gross of bungees to cure the problem!
I'm almost manic about getting the bikes stolen although the rack (Dutch) does have secure locks and I also attach a chain and U lock but take the point that if some 'pond life' takes a fancy to them then there's little you can do.
I wonder if the 'grey' law that you can use reasonable force to protect yourself and property from a burglar also applies to scum rooting around the rear of your MH? :Angry:The sight of someone else's blood has never made me queasy! :Smile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
On a separate note, insurance may well not cover them whilst on the rack. My household insurance covers them whist in garage at home, locked to a fixed object whilst away, or inside a vehicle whilst away. May not influence you, but may be something to take into account.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back