Free Member
Apr 10, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi one and all,

Dipping our toes in the world of motorhoming. A bit confused about what van to purchase.

So this intro can serve as a platform to suck that experience from you guys.

We have got it down to fixed bed, 4 berth(ish). Separate shower\cubicle.

We going secondhand with about 25k to spend but might have my arm twisted for a wee bit more for the right van.

So what do you reckon is best fixed bed van and what should I get for 25k. 07 or 08 model maybe?

What dealers should I avoid, bad experience, bad name in the industry.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Have you thought of buying private. Look in the classified on here.
What part of manchester are you in, i'm in urmston.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Hi one and all,

Dipping our toes in the world of motorhoming. A bit confused about what van to purchase.

Well, you could buy Link Removed about buying a motorhome ........

We went for one that cost us ÂŁ9000 and it has served us well, though we have spent a little on a few extras like most others! Just have a good look around all sorts and see what suits you. It's worth using the 'search' function (top left, third drop-down) on this site to find out reviews of vans and dealers ....

and welcome! :thumb:

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:party2::welcome::party2:

Visit as many Motorhome shows as you can (as well as buying the book described in the previous post). See as many vans as you can before you part with your hard earned.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
There are so many alternatives that it is almost impossible to answer. All I can say is you need to put in a lot of legwork, talk to as many people as you can and draw up your priorities. I think I spent almost five years on this task though it doesn't need that amount of time. I just was working towards my retirement and spent many weekends up and down the country and at shows, in and out of vans and letting them 'speak to me'.

Life is full of compromises and it is true with motorhomes. Its good that you know your budget as it is easy to spend more. I found that buying my van was only the start, I've spent a lot more since, so try to take that into account.

You can go for a larger van within your budget which will have the advantage of giving more space but it will be older and likely with a higher mileage. Or, go for a smaller van that is newer but with less space. I think you need to try and imagine yourself, living in a field, in your van, raining outside, field full of mud. Look around the van, can you cope???

How many humans and pets will be with you. What sleeping arrangements do you need? What will you take with you and how much storage space will you need? The list is endless! I saw some lovely vans with fixed driver and passenger seats, however, once parked up this becomes more or less dead space whereas seats that rotate can become part of the living area.

Hope you find this helpful, make the right choice for you but do listen to what people have to say about different makes, you will find they all have their good and bad features.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Layout, Layout, Layout. As above, imagine you are stuck in a wet field for a couple of days, can you live in it?

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
welcome to the club

as you can see by previous posts it is a very personal thing as to what lay out you go for
i had five motor homes before i found one that ticked almost all the boxes
second hand will always be a compramise

do you want to wild camp?
do you want to cook full oven meals?
I have an American RV as i could not find what i wanted in the Euro range

go for the biggest you can afford space is every thing when stuck inside on wet cold days

good luck
at shows ask to see other peoples outfits :thumb: WE ALL LIKE TO SHOW OUR RIGS TO OTHERS
there is so many different layouts and sizes

(now see the dority replies come in he he he)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back