Iveco Daily minibus ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm considering this bus for a home conversion.. and would really appreciate opinion on the Iveco Daily ..

I'm reasonably familiar with Iveco and have driven one.. here is the advert

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Nice bus and not tainted with Fiats 'engineering' more Ford components.
As it belonged to a charity the clutch and gearbox may need some attention due to it being driven by various drivers. I am not implying that it will need attention,it depends on the status of the charity. If it is 100% voluntary and provides the service gratis then there may be a variety of driving styles employed if the drivers were employed they would have to be MIDAS qualified which does generally set a standard.
I believe Dave Newell's self-build is on an Iveco.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi Jim, when i worked for the council before i retired we had several iveco vans with the tail lift fitted,i found them a nice drive and at that age i think it will be ford powerd.I must say at that mileage [if correct] it should be a good buy not that i am an expert as all the work was carried out for us.I hope this is of some use to you.
John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My 1996 Iveco Daily is the best van I have ever had.

I got it in 2000 (75000 kms) and is now nearing or is over 200,000.

Never failed a test... goes pretty swiftly if you want (intercooled) and a real, rufty tufty vehicle.

Iveco dealers all over Europe...

Highly recommended.

JJ:Cool:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Since posting have spoken to the previous owners.. The Charity was Southend Taxi Driver fund, who take disabled children on trips..

It was bought new by them and they confirm the millage, that it was regularly serviced and had no obvious mechanical problems when they sold it to the dealer.. driven by only a few volunteer taxi drivers..

main reason for selling was non compliance with London LEZ ..

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Since posting have spoken to the previous owners.. The Charity was Southend Taxi Driver fund, who take disabled children on trips..

It was bought new by them and they confirm the millage, that it was regularly serviced and had no obvious mechanical problems when they sold it to the dealer.. driven by only a few volunteer taxi drivers..

main reason for selling was non compliance with London LEZ ..

Hi Jim, Sounds a good motor, well looked after mechanicly and driver wise, don't think you will get any better than this one for you self build, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Jim, that is almost identical to mine except mine is XLWB and has a side loading door. You might find the SLD useful or not depending on your planned layout. Mechanically its a small truck and drives like one. The 2.8 turbo lump is adequate, mine has no intercooler so just 100BHP but that is adequate to propel the bus and a 1200KGs trailer at 56MPH only lacking a bit on steepish hills. Mine has 175,000KM under its wheels and still drives well with just a bit of blue smoke on first startup.

D.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Looks a good buy at my end Jim. The Iveco is a good strong van and that one would make a great self build. I have run a couple of the Iveco vans when I was working and they were always a good workhorse, covering huge mileages. Make sure the cambelt service is kept up to date as if it does go it destroys the engine. I have seen a good set of mini bus seats go for £100 each, so you could well have close on a grand back on the seats.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Jim

Our motorhome is based on an Iveco Daily and it hasnt missed a beat, fingers crossed. It is a bit agricultural, but we never driven a Fiat so can compare.

Ours has more power than the one youre looking at it a 2.8 turbo, I think its bhp is 150, but that was after a torgue chip fitted.

Be careful of rust although ours has none, you used to see some a bit rusty around the back doors, but that might have been a lot older version.

Our motorhome is coming up for sale shortly, but I think it will be too expensive for your needs.

A self build will be a great thing to do if you have the time and money, although you can do it on a low budget too. Do you really what that many windows in the vehicle, its a shame to block them up but it will cold also too.
Good luck
Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Looks a good buy at my end Jim. The Iveco is a good strong van and that one would make a great self build. I have run a couple of the Iveco vans when I was working and they were always a good workhorse, covering huge mileages. Make sure the [HI]cambelt service[/HI] is kept up to date as if it does go it destroys the engine. I have seen a good set of mini bus seats go for £100 each, so you could well have close on a grand back on the seats.

Hi Dave , does that engine not have a chain ?

edit.. just googled, looks like it has a belt..

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Looks like a good bus and it looks like it has a tail lift as well so money back on that if you don't need it:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Purely from a conversion point of view there are two things to check before you buy. I made these mistakes on my Bus conversion...

1. Can you cope with all the windows? These let in a load of light/heat in the summer making it extremely hot. They also let the cold in in the winter making it extremely cold. You either need to be ok with this or add to your budget to replace the windows with metal panels or similar.

2. Height. Look to where you will add your shower area. Allow for six inches loss on the floor area if you are doing internal waste pipes. and allow for roof insulation. I lost 2" on roof height for insulation.

3. Check the floor. On mine the floor was split level with the upper level being at the back and u shaped. The lower level sloped.
This seriously affects the build.

Mine however was a full bus not a mini bus so you may be ok with yours. I do like Iveco vans and it is on my list for my next self build.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Looks like a good bus and it looks like it has a tail lift as well so money back on that if you don't need it:thumb:

Don't get too excited by the tail lift, ours had one but I couldn't give the damned thing away! Broke it up for the parts in the end. I also had trouble getting shot of the seats despite them being in good condition with built in seat belts, I still have five of them.

D.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I cannot comment on weather bus or van is the right thing to convert as it is a personal choice.

As for the type - go for it! They were the last of the reliable Ivecos, some suffered oil leaks so check for that and also rust. But apart from that - Ideal!

As for shifting seats - give me a buzz and I can probably move them for you. I have a lot to do with taxis, and they often fit bus/coach seats in the back when they convert the layouts from people carriers to taxi - (owners not the converters).

Friend of mine is converting the van version - quite an interesting adventure as he actually cut the back end off and lengthened it by around 10" He sunk holes in the back end to drop gas bottles into, and conserving room - looks very good!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hi Jim
Gromett is going to self build on an Iveco-perhaps you should swap ideas!

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
[HI]Nice bus and not tainted with Fiats 'engineering' more Ford components.[/HI]
As it belonged to a charity the clutch and gearbox may need some attention due to it being driven by various drivers. I am not implying that it will need attention,it depends on the status of the charity. If it is 100% voluntary and provides the service gratis then there may be a variety of driving styles employed if the drivers were employed they would have to be MIDAS qualified which does generally set a standard.
I believe Dave Newell's self-build is on an Iveco.

Ha ha ha, Have you not seen what is wrote on the cam cover on a Ducato :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim
Gromett is going to self build on an Iveco-perhaps you should swap ideas!

It won't be for quite a few years possible as soon as 3 maybe as many as 5.

My needs are different to his also. I will probably go for a similar layout to what JJ has in his Iveco and possibly a similar standard of construction this time:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It won't be for quite a few years possible as soon as 3 maybe as many as 5.

My needs are different to his also. I will probably go for a similar layout to what JJ has in his Iveco and possibly a similar standard of construction this time:ROFLMAO:

You sure you can work to that high standard :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You sure you can work to that high standard :Eeek:

I should have said Style of construction. Not sure I can work to JJ's high standard.

What I really meant was I would do it in ply etc so that I have no problems with stripping out and modifying it whenever I need to.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
well, after much consideration I have decided against this bus..

not that there is anything wrong with it, I still think it would make a great camper.. my problem is insurance and NOT keeping my car ..

On purchase it would be have to be insured as a Minibus.. no matter how many seats I dispense with. It is a minibus on the V5c

That raises two problems

1. Insurance for a minibus it is relatively expensive, I had plenty of quotes, all were more than £600
2. When I start to alter, ie convert it to a camper, the minibus insurance would be void.. I spoke to several brokers and they all confirmed this.. and I cannot insure as a camper until it is complete and the DVLA issue a new V5c .

So, the only way I can do this is to keep my car, SORN the minibus, convert it, then register and insure as a camper..

My original plan was to sell my car which would fund the conversion, use the minibus as my sole means of transport and convert over a period of 6 months to a year . That's not now an option..

rock and a hard place comes to mind.. :Sad:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Jim, most selfbuild insurers will insure it as a camper from day one and they give you up to 3 months to do the conversion. Some insurers don't need the V5 to say motorcaravan although most do.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, most selfbuild insurers will insure it as a camper from day one and they give you up to 3 months to do the conversion. Some insurers don't need the V5 to say motorcaravan although most do.

Thanks Karl.. to be honest never thought to look for a self build insurer, I spoke to several brokers and none mentioned it.. will bear this in mind next time..

As for the minbus, obviously I wouldn't buy 'over the phone' and as it was quite a distance from me.. about a 300 ml round trip.. that's too far and expensive just to go and look on spec .. only to find you don't like or want it.. so I'll keep looking local.. no rush..

The other niggle was no check-able service history, the dealer was a bit vague when I asked.. then I spoke to the original owners but they either didn't know or couldn't remember if it had a cambelt change or not, nor who serviced it.. so would have to factor in the cost a cam belt change.. they were also really surprised at the dealer's asking price.. they only got £800 from the dealer.. but that's life I guess.

sometimes you get a gut feeling about things... this one didn't feel right .. I've learned to trust these feelings..

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
The windows would have put me off Jim. But on the insurance point yes you can get insurance that gives you a time to convert the van. We are now in our fourth year with them and they are excellent. NCB is not required, and you are allowed an accident in the last year without effect.

The broker is insurancechoice that we use

http://www.insurancechoice.co.uk/

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Thanks Karl.. to be honest never thought to look for a self build insurer, I spoke to several brokers and none mentioned it.. will bear this in mind next time..

As for the minbus, obviously I wouldn't buy 'over the phone' and as it was quite a distance from me.. about a 300 ml round trip.. that's too far and expensive just to go and look on spec .. only to find you don't like or want it.. so I'll keep looking local.. no rush..

The other niggle was no check-able service history, the dealer was a bit vague when I asked.. then I spoke to the original owners but they either didn't know or couldn't remember if it had a cambelt change or not, nor who serviced it.. so would have to factor in the cost a cam belt change.. they were also really surprised at the dealer's asking price.. they only got £800 from the dealer.. but that's life I guess.

sometimes you get a gut feeling about things... this one didn't feel right .. I've learned to trust these feelings..

jim when i had my s/ build it was insured from day one
as a camper via sheild
Link Removed

one stipulation was to have it usabel in 12 weeks
not how pretty the conversion was done

it may be beneficial to have a look at sbmcc
insurance and conversion materials
can be obtained a little cheaper
also a good pointer to where to go for materials
i was a member but let it lapse last year
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim sorry I missed your first post ::bigsmile:shuld have PM ed me :Smile:Firstly as you will have gathred ins is no problem via the one's already quoted and Adrian Flux-- under 400 quid ish :thumb:Iveco's are excelent vans and no they are not Ford but are all Fiat with cam belts but based more on the truck side rather than the light commercial vans side,rear wheel drive with excelent turning circle :thumb::Smile:
Now for my personal bits the bus is not good :Eeek: You would either end up paying to block up windows,easy to do and have single glazed where you perhaps don't want them :Smile:You can get a 2003/005 model van for 2k and use the other money to buy proper windows and put them where you want them :thumb:plus when you have finished it will be worth a lot more on the newer plate with proper windows :thumb:(you never know you could get offered enough money to make a good profit and make another) :winky: It costs the same to convert a old van as a newer one so go for the newer which will be worth more :thumb: I UNDERSTAND YOU MAY WANT TO KEEP IT AND NOT SELL IT BUT AGAIN WHEN THE TIME COMES IT IS STILL GOING TO BE WORTH MORE :Smile:As always layout is the key and although I say so myself I think I got ours right from the start,although when I do another I may change the loo etc, to go across the rear instead of in the rear corner.::bigsmile:
terry
PS you don't need to join SBMCC you can get all info on here::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim sorry I missed your first post ...

Thought so Terry.. not like you to miss a home build thread :roflmto:

I've taken on board all said about windows etc ..

one of the benefits of a minibus is the number of fixed belted seats.. which can be configured to suit personal taste .. I would like at least 4, or perhaps 5, including driver.

I also like a lot of windows, our RV was windows all round, it gives a great view for rear passengers and when lounging , I understand the thermal problems.. but they can be overcome with internal silver night screens and blinds.. plus a tank of LPG:roflmto:

thanks to all for advice and links.. plenty to mull over..

cheers

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't forget Jim that fixed belted seats need to convert to beds :winky:::bigsmile: I was actualy thinking along the lines of the VW rock and roll type beds for the next one --- thought about getting one to use as a template and making 3 singles type thing,my mate would do the welding for me - but at around 400 quid for one I have not got past the thinking bit yet ::bigsmile: I may well go out of my way and actually have a look at one to see if I could make something out of wood and just get mate to frame up around one :Smile:
I have had about 4 yrs to think about the next so all the thoughts you are thinking now I have probably had ::bigsmile: If you go for the Iveco I have a nice 34,000 mile 2.8 turbo engine/g,box as a spare :thumb: this is the pre 2003-2.3 electronic controled engines that I know you have a dislike for :ROFLMAO::Smile: If I had got it a couple of weeks before i was very tempted with a 2007 van with a knackered engine,VGC, for 1200 quid,but when I got the engine the van had gone :Doh::cry:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Following last post - Daft thing is I have had 2 vans with RR beds a MURVI and a vw but never looked at how the beds worked,simply used them ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back