Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
One year - summer and winter
My reversing lights come on for less than a second when reverse gear is engaged and then go off, the reverse monitor does not switch input from the rear view to the reverse view mode.
Fiat have checked the reverse switch on the gearshift and say that all checks out as normal and possibly the reverse camera circuit is "tripping out" the reversing lights, ?by taking power from the circuit.

I guess I need to travel to a Swift dealer because it is under warranty but if there is a trick I am missing, or just a loose connection.... otherwise it is another day lost.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
firstly how old is the motorhome???

secondly if the van is a fairly new one is the bulb failure light coming on ???

i had a problem with a tail light that the bulb failed so changed the bulb for a new (unbranded cheapie from the pound shop type) and it lit for a second then went out so i swapped it for the other side one (maybe you can swap for the rear fog light bulb just to try) and the fault moved to the other side.

i then swapped the bulb with another motorhome and the bulb that lit for a second worked as it should in the other older motorhome and the branded bulb from that worked in my newer motorhome.

the canbus system seems to be very touchy about the resistance of the bulbs fitted and if they are not quite right it shuts down the circuit as a safety measure.

the other thing to try is if you can disconnect the camera feed from the reverse circuit then you would know if that is the cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Thanks for the advice, but not sure about the bulbs because they both come on and go off together. I did take them out and check them and they are both good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My reversing lights come on for less than a second when reverse gear is engaged and then go off, the reverse monitor does not switch input from the rear view to the reverse view mode.
Fiat have checked the reverse switch on the gearshift and say that all checks out as normal and possibly the reverse camera circuit is "tripping out" the reversing lights, ?by taking power from the circuit.

I guess I need to travel to a Swift dealer because it is under warranty but if there is a trick I am missing, or just a loose connection.... otherwise it is another day lost.
Rubbish.....your rev monitor doesnt take its power from the rev switch....the switch simply earths the monitor, which has its own power supply.

if the lights do work, albeit momentarily, i would suspect the switch, or a very poor earth on the lights

once current passes through the lights and puts a load on the wiring it could break down a poor earth to no earth at all....doubtful though as the other lights work ok.

for the sake of a few quid i would swap the rev switch as a first test.

OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Thanks, papajohn
I disabled the power supply to the monitor and reverse camera adaptor by switching off the 12 volt supply at the PSU.( The distribution board in the R front locker in the habitation)
The reversing lights switch on and stay on for maybe 6 seconds when engaging reverse gear.So looks like the reverse switch is fine as Fiat said.
Maybe a poor connection to earth but seems strange/unlikely
Problem is - reversing lights only work when the engine is actually running which means I can't get out to look so I need an assistant or a system of mirrors!

OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Just out of interest - after two weeks of dry and slightly warmer weather the reversing light problem has gone away. Lights functioning normally and camera switches instantly to reversing mode on selecting reverse.
Heading off to Norfolk next week to see if all is miraculously cured - but could be one of those annoying intermittent electrical problems!

OP
OP
B

Bohenny

Free Member
Aug 27, 2012
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Dealer could find no fault but the multiblock connector behind the wheelarch which supplies all the rear lights was full of mud so has been cleaned and sealed

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Only a motorhome manufacturer would put a load of connections in a wheelarch:Doh:

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Reverse Lamps and Swift

Not sure I would take it back to Swift unless under warranty. I'd try some professionals. sorry Swift:Blush:

Romatone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back