Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi there one and all,

Has anyone come across this problem? We have our fridge well filled including some cheeses (well we are in France).

There has been an overpowering smell of cheese when you open the door yet the cheese is not "off". In fact the smell seems to be totally out of proportion.

We have taken everything out of the fridge and there is nothing bad or on the turn so we guess it is the cheese and have now taken it out of the fridge.

Anyone got any ideas?

Frank

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Cheesey smell....

Yes...Fraid so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Well I guess it's not the cheese then. I have heard that to eliminate bad smells from just about anything..place an open saucer of unused coffee grounds in the space. Coffee will stop any bad smell!

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Some fridges have trays that collect condensation (and spillage) mounted underneath the fridge. Have a look to see if it has as that could be the cause.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
make up a paste from water and bicarbonate of soda and give the fridge interior a good wipe out with it, it should kill any odour

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
make up a paste from water and bicarbonate of soda and give the fridge interior a good wipe out with it, it should kill any odour

My old Mum used the same mix, worked like a charm:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well ... being French and used to this.... I would put all the cheese in a zip bag first and then in a plastic box with a top on of course, then keep it out of the fridge for at least a couple of hours. Would wipe the fridge with white vinegar/ or if too lazy or too many things in the fridge, would put a cup with milk in . The milk will take the bad smell. Of course don't even think about using the milk afterwards lol!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

PS: a smelly cheese in the fridge means a smelly fridge ... i'm afraid you can't do much about it , so eat it quickly!!

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Some fridges have trays that collect condensation (and spillage) mounted underneath the fridge. Have a look to see if it has as that could be the cause.

Yes this happened with our house fridge. Had to pull the whole thing out of its housing to get at the back and there, mounted on the compressor thingie, is a tray that catches the drips that drain out of the fridge. The heat then vapourises them but ours had some awful smelling stuff in there. Cleaned it out and it's been fine since.:thumb:

Wyn

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Also cut a lemon in half and keep it in the fridge.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Go smell outside by the vents... if you have it there it could be the condensation tray as mentioned.. I had it on my previous van . Real horrible smell.. had to clean the tray out of "gunge". using some kitchen towel..... Not a nice thing to do but if you gotta you gotta... :Doh:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good for eczema and athletes foot also.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun