emmissions rule Crystal Palace site (2 Viewers)

mrsrogers

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
proud owner of The Mimzy
Exp
newbie 2013
emmissions rule Crystal Palace site
Posted Today at 09:13 by mrsrogers
We want to go to Crystal Palace Caravan Club site in June, we have just learnt that it will cost us an extra £200 because of the emmissions rule our motorhome is 'T' reg, Ford Squire Herald, 2.5 diesel engine, is there any way to avoid this payment?
Pam and George

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
PS, if tourists kept away from London, the London economy would suffer, then perhaps there might be a review of these barbaric charges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
There aren't enough of us. Most tourists to London fly in. We haven't even as much effect as a flea on an elephant's bum. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We want to go to Crystal Palace Caravan Club site in June, we have just learnt that it will cost us an extra £200 because of the emmissions rule our motorhome is 'T' reg, Ford Squire Herald, 2.5 diesel engine, is there any way to avoid this payment?
Pam and George

No - look for another site outside the London Emission Zone

See this useful thread Broken Link Removed

Catherine

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You might find its £200 a day:Eeek:
Thats at least one day to get in and one day to get out plus any days you drive in and out on trips
cheaper to go to Spain full board:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its plain to see London doesn't want us, so why should we want to go there?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Its plain to see London doesn't want us, so why should we want to go there?
I dont want to appear rude but have you really given this any thought. London has a low emission zone for good reasons. The millions of people who live and work in London are being poisoned by vehicles. There are many ways to visit our capital city without driving your polluting motorhome.:thumb:
Now would you like to maybe readdress your post. :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Pam and George
It is a bit of a bummer I know, my brother lives half a mile inside the zone in Harrow. It was going to cost him £200 every time he left his drive to drive the half mile to the zone boundary. He changed his van at great cost to himself. But it's in a good cause cleaner air for our kids:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Try Sewardstone Road Lea Valley (Lee Valley) Campsite or the campsite at Debden. Both can be accessed without touching the LEZ if you plan your route and both not far from public transport

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The UK has one zone, the Germans have many. So you could be right.

The fact that it and the congestion zone are nice little earners is just a coincidence.
We used to have killer smog. Restrictions and smokeless fuel transformed this overnight. You dont have to listen to the experts just have a walk through the city on a summer day and tell me we dont have to do something.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The fact that it and the congestion zone are nice little earners is just a coincidence.

Buttons is certainly right, Brian. Many of those of us who suffer from asthma will have had first hand experience of the detrimental effects of particulate emissions from older diesel engines.

As regards being a nice little earner, the annual LEZ income averages out at around £1.5M (see report Here). Not all that much in terms of the overall TfL budget (see Appendix 1 Link Removed).

I still think it is wrong that private individuals who happened to own a non-compliant motorhome at the start of the LEZ were not exempted (as some may recall, I wrote to both Ken and Boris as part of the campaign that took place). As regards motorhome owners who live outside the LEZ, though, there are alternatives to entering it and I can't see any argument for them being a special case.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I understand the need for LEZ especially for service vehicles,but something to be considered is portable appliances. Construction work involves using small engine powered units like compressors cement mixers,pumps, generators and stone cutters. Are these units considered? I would surmise that they probably cause as much pollution as the occasional motor home visiting,,stopping and driving out after a stay. Makes you think,at least it does to me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We used to have killer smog. Restrictions and smokeless fuel transformed this overnight. You dont have to listen to the experts just have a walk through the city on a summer day and tell me we dont have to do something.:thumb:

I remember the smokeless fuel act well, we got free gas fires in Manchester.

I didn't ( mean to ) say it's not a good idea. But like all these "good ideas" I wonder if in it's present form it does much, they are just blocking the old designs and how many of those are there compared to all the others dumping their pollution ? There are only two solutions, hydrogen and electric and neither work right now.

And Graham seems to have shot down the economic benefits to London angle, though I did purposefully lump the two pay zones together. And I still smart from the picture of my car that Red Ken sent me.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Worth pointing out to anyone who doesnt know.. the Low Emmision Zone in London is inside the M25 and there is a map on the link above.
It covers all diesel vans trucks coaches campers etc registered before 2006 that dont meet euro IV standards

You can check if you will fall foul of it here
www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17700.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-3

You can pay a daily charge of £100 or £200 per day.. depending on size

Fines are £500 or £1000 depending on your size

Dont risk it ..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its a dark strange place down there with people having strange habits, like drinking flat warm beer and paying dearly for the privilege :Eeek:. Stay up north were you know you are safe :Cool:.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If I have to go to London, which I don't often then the train is the answer. It always seems that the trains are packed with people with colds/flu/flatulence so not a pleasant journey but better than paying the congestion charge/LEZ charge/exorbitant parking.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
PS, If you do decide to venture into the land of the unknown don't forget your southern English phrase book, otherwise you wont be able to understand a word they say.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If I have to go to London, which I don't often then the train is the answer. It always seems that the trains are packed with people with colds/flu/flatulence so not a pleasant journey but better than paying the congestion charge/LEZ charge/exorbitant parking.

Flatulence eh, that comes from drinking warm flat beer and all those pie and pee shops.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I understand the need for LEZ especially for service vehicles,but something to be considered is portable appliances. Construction work involves using small engine powered units like compressors cement mixers,pumps, generators and stone cutters. Are these units considered? I would surmise that they probably cause as much pollution as the occasional motor home visiting,,stopping and driving out after a stay. Makes you think,at least it does to me.

And if the LEZ is as beneficial to the area as claimed, why has one of the main sources of pollution, aviation, not been included? (or has it)!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
PS, If you do decide to venture into the land of the unknown don't forget your southern English phrase book, otherwise you wont be able to understand a word they say.

when was the last time you went to london:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
And if the LEZ is as beneficial to the area as claimed, why has one of the main sources of pollution, aviation, not been included? (or has it)!

Dont be daft. How on earth do you expect our politicians to jet off around the world on there life saving jaunts. You can hardly expect them to drive up to Luton and fly cattle class.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Very true Brian. The main difference between the London LEZ and the German LEZ is that the Germans respect older vehicles and when a vehicle becomes 20 years old it becomes an "Old Timer" and is allowed into LEZ zones free of charge or hinderence. No such thing in London which makes me think its another money making scam for the capital.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So because of the LEZ one side of the M25 is clean air and the other side polluted! NO WIND IN LONDON THEN. The Emissions from our power stations before they were fitted with filters used to travel all the way to SWEDEN. (acid rain)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back