Camping off site what you need to know (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
OK. The law and why and the reality.

In UK, and most commom law countries everything is legal unless there is a specific law against it

There are national laws we are all supposed to know about and local laws or bye laws about which, because they vary, explicit warnings have to be given

1. There is no national no parking overnight and sleeping in your van law
2. You cannot do it on private land without land owners permission, but they can only ask you to leave, trespass is not a criminal offence
3. On public land there will be bye laws in all probability. The sign has to provide specific warning so no staying in vehicles over night is specific, no camping may not be if you have 40 foot USRV. No sleeping in vehicles is also specific. Anything else and you are free to stay and sleep

Practically do not stay where it might offend a near neighbour, do not have buckets for waste on show, don't park where there are gates which might be closed to ock you in, may be in the right but do you want to waste time with a jobs worth in the morning.

Leave early, quietly and tidily

Remember it is not the police who will endoprce most bye laws but bye law officers, they will be tucked up at home in nice warm beds and do 09.00 to 17.30. If you are approached by an irate member of the public, explain you are not local, sympathise with him, ask him to show you the bye law and where the warning sign is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
many layby's etc have no sleeping/camping signs but are either neglected.....obscured by overgrown bush's etc or have simply been removed or vandalised.

how does the law stand on this. ?

in a similar vain, if a section of road has a 30/40mph restriction but no regulation 30/40mph repeater signs at the correct intervals the speed limit cannot be upheld.

surely this ruling also applies to covered/missing/vandalised layby signs...even though it will be a different authorities jurisdiction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
That's good Vlad, good to see the pupil is becoming the teacher :winky:

So in short, leave early and nothing but footprints and a little waste water with soap. :roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's good Vlad, good to see the pupil is becoming the teacher :winky:

So in short, leave early and nothing but footprints and a little waste water with soap. :roflmto:

... ah but if you let your waste dribble they can track you down by following it!!! :ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Or of course you could forget about wild camping and use a campsite and dump your waste on an empty pitch that another camper will have to use. That way it wont effect you in the slightest.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just because something is not illegal or unlawful does not mean that it is right............................................

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Or of course you could forget about wild camping and use a campsite and dump your waste on an empty pitch that another camper will have to use. That way it wont effect you in the slightest.

You could of course combine the two, or just WILD CAMP for a period then dispose of your waste when its full as you see fit!
I can see how some people would fill their tanks quicker than others,as they generate more of a certain kind of waste.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
many layby's etc have no sleeping/camping signs but are either neglected.....obscured by overgrown bush's etc or have simply been removed or vandalised.

how does the law stand on this. ?

in a similar vain, if a section of road has a 30/40mph restriction but no regulation 30/40mph repeater signs at the correct intervals the speed limit cannot be upheld.

surely this ruling also applies to covered/missing/vandalised layby signs...even though it will be a different authorities jurisdiction.

I don't think any court of law would expect you to obey a sign that wasn't there.
Speed limits could be a different matter as ,if there are street lights, the limit is 30 unless there are repeater signs saying something else. So if the 40 signs are missing you should only be doing 30.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Grey Watergate.:ROFLMAO:

Wish I'd thought of that:Doh:

Pete:Cool:

'50 Shades of Grey Watergate' anyone? ::bigsmile:

I suppose it could be about how many ways you can dribble!!! :ROFLMAO:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
OK. The law and why and the reality.

In UK, and most commom law countries everything is legal unless there is a specific law against it

There are national laws we are all supposed to know about and local laws or bye laws about which, because they vary, explicit warnings have to be given

2. You cannot do it on private land without land owners permission, but they can only ask you to leave, trespass is not a criminal offence
3. On public land there will be bye laws in all probability. The sign has to provide specific warning so no staying in vehicles over night is specific, no camping may not be if you have 40 foot USRV. No sleeping in vehicles is also specific. Anything else and you are free to stay and sleep

Practically do not stay where it might offend a near neighbour, do not have buckets for waste on show, don't park where there are gates which might be closed to ock you in, may be in the right but do you want to waste time with a jobs worth in the morning.

Remember it is not the police who will endoprce most bye laws but bye law officers, they will be tucked up at home in nice warm beds and do 09.00 to 17.30. If you are approached by an irate member of the public, explain you are not local, sympathise with him, ask him to show you the bye law and where the warning sign is.

[HI]Well I thought great someone is posting useful information for us all to learn from. Within a few posts later it's gone to rats shit...........[/HI]

[HI]Vlad The Impaler[/HI] thank you for the information none the less, pity it's a wasted post now. I was looking forward to the experience of others on here and their input on the subject........................

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Well I'm guess "not right" is what needs to be elaborated.

Forum
Noun
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Simple statement .............what's to elaborate ?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

The OP says -

Not against the law -but not right !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Quoted by Vlad The Impaler
Quoted by GJH
Enquiring of the Department for Transport established that there appears to be no national legislation which either specifically permits or prohibits roadside camping.
Quoted by GJH
Where one camps without the landowner's permission, the civil offence of trespass may also be committed.
3. On public land there will be bye laws in all probability.
Quoted by GJH
In addition, some local authorities have passed Traffic Regulation Orders which permit/prohibit overnight camping in vehicles within the area over which they have jurisdiction.
Thanks for confirming the law in these respects. I'm pleased we agree :Smile:
The sign has to provide specific warning so no staying in vehicles over night is specific, no camping may not be if you have 40 foot USRV. No sleeping in vehicles is also specific. Anything else and you are free to stay and sleep.
Quite right - but local authorities are getting used to that. In Scarborough, for example, TROs specifically prohibit Motor Caravans - see Link Removed and Link Removed.

These statements describe the very sorts of activity which used to happen in Scarborough borough and which led to the TROs mentioned above.

Certainly true in the past but changing as new orders are introduced.

It is, of course, up to each individual to decide what legislation he thinks it proper to ignore but to do so in the knowledge that there might be penalties to pay :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

The OP says -

Not against the law -but not right !

The OP is just stating a fact, I don't see anywhere he is recommending that you do stay on private land, in fact he is pointing out that you may/will be asked to leave so it makes sense not to do it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The OP is just stating a fact, I don't see anywhere he is recommending that you do stay on private land, in fact he is pointing out that you may/will be asked to leave so it makes sense not to do it.

Sorry - but by pointing out the law implies that staying on private land is not illegal seems to me to imply that it's OK - or at least not illegal ..............staying on anyone' s property without permission is wrong

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Sorry - but by pointing out the law implies that staying on private land is not illegal seems to me to imply that it's OK - or at least not illegal ..............staying on anyone' s property without permission is wrong

You can't own land, you are just paying for the privilege of looking after it for the next person with too much money to come along

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Before we to argue the rights and wrongs of common and civil law, maybe our learned members of the legal profession will make the differance clear.
i.e. can a violation of civil law be illegal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back