2001 Fiat Ducato...Intermittent Idle Mode...Help Please (1 Viewer)

Benimar_funbus

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbult
Exp
5 years
I have had this problem for 18 months now and took it to a couple of garages with no resolution.

The problem is the van goes into idle mode and the injector light comes on. If I in 5th and crusing it limits it to around 50 mph and if pulling away its low accelator still the light goes out.

Sometimes is a second and sometimes is 30 secs. usually once or twice on a journey but sometimes more.

The first problem is the 2 garages I took it to could not get the diagnostic tool to work with it.

I have been advised it could be the injector cables, fuel sensor, faulty ecu etc.

So has anyone has this issue and how did they resolve it.

Can anyone recommend a garage in the Manchester area who knows his way round the fiat ducato of this age i.e 2001.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Benimar_funbus

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbult
Exp
5 years
Just had a similar problem on a vauxhall movano. The problem was the EGR valve.

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately, as I have not had a diagnostic report as the 2 garages I visiited couldnt communicate with the van's ECU, its all speculation. Fiat wanted to replace the whole ECU at a astronomical cost.

I believe the issue is that the garages have not got the right cable as the predates the new type of connector. So really need to know what cable\tool I need. Also need to find a garage in Manchester who can assist.

I presume your vehicle is of a later model\make and was not a issue to diagnosed.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
You could contact Mark (ex TBTurbo foreman) at Unit 45, Lune Business Park, Lancaster, LA1 5FT (www.candmauto.co.uk to look, 01524843721 or email info@candmauto.co.uk)

He changed the cam belt and adjusted the clutch and a few other jobs for me when I had the Hymer. Seemed very knowledgeable about all things FIAT - worth a 'phone call and not too far from you!

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have had issues with the Fiat Ducatto, well documented on here.. The issue may well be the ECU, in my case it would corrupt the data leaving the ECU and that caused some of the issues. Fiat garages will be as much use as a chocolate teapot, they will sell you an new ECU. There is a further problem with FIAT, not all of their components are identical, their wiring is also a bit sus.
Secondly, you can’t get a reply from FIAT Technical and they will not admit they have issues, the UK help desk is in Italy, they will not release any technical document, even from their own webpage which offers the service for a fee and then they refuse. They also offer a recon ECU or Consul on their parts website, but, they will not allow you or dealers to buy them...

I suggest you look for an auto electrical engineer and take it from there.

Sorry I can’t help any further..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back