Need a good electromotive mech / garage in MANCHESTER AREA (1 Viewer)

Benimar_funbus

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbult
Exp
5 years
Got an intermittent idle mode light on my 2001 Fiat Ducato and my van is going into idle mode intermittently. Took it to Fiat and they justed wanted to swop out my ecu cos they could not communicate with it.

Does any one know any garage or electromotive mechnicanic in the Manchester area, who has the tools and knows his way round the 2001 Fiat Ducato.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if fiats techies couldnt communicate with the ECU it must be corrupt software and i doubt any other garage will solve the comms problem.

it may be possible to have the ECU re-flashed IF comms can be established.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The injector loom is known to be too short on that model and causes problems fiat have a different plug and loom but it is usually number 4 (nearest the gearbox ) that causes most problems make sure the loom is not pulled , clean and try to tighten the connections by carefully squeezing them so they are tighter on the pins but be careful. this can cause the symptoms you describe.This fault is usually logged on the ecu.

try a bosch diesel center

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Benimar_funbus

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbult
Exp
5 years
if fiats techies couldnt communicate with the ECU it must be corrupt software and i doubt any other garage will solve the comms problem.

it may be possible to have the ECU re-flashed IF comms can be established.

Hi,

Fiat wanted to replace the whole ECU, at an astronomical cost. I say no way jose :Eeek:

But thinking the ECU otherwise works fine its this one issue. If it was corrupt surely I be getting other funnies? You saying it is just the communicate / network part and not the actual computer management of the vehicle?

Hmmmm food for thought.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
B

Benimar_funbus

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbult
Exp
5 years
The injector loom is known to be too short on that model and causes problems fiat have a different plug and loom but it is usually number 4 (nearest the gearbox ) that causes most problems make sure the loom is not pulled , clean and try to tighten the connections by carefully squeezing them so they are tighter on the pins but be careful. this can cause the symptoms you describe.This fault is usually logged on the ecu.

try a bosch diesel center

Link Removed

Thanks for the tip, the first garage looked at the loom and tweaked the pins, said it was ok. problem persisted :Sad:

Dave

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
You could contact Mark (ex TBTurbo foreman) at Unit 45, Lune Business Park, Lancaster, LA1 5FT (www.candmauto.co.uk to look, 01524843721 or email info@candmauto.co.uk)

He changed the cam belt and adjusted the clutch and a few other jobs for me when I had the Hymer. Seemed very knowledgeable about all things FIAT - worth a 'phone call and not too far from you!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If Fiat cannot communicate with the ecu, it may be an additional issue or the ECU my have a fault, which can be internal solder joints, or even water in the ecu.

Fuel rails, Injector looms were recalls on those and known faults, check if these have been done. I would have thought they would have checked for outstanding recalls, but you never know! You can go on the VOSA recall site and check with your VIN number which are applicable.

Another common cause of vehicles returning to idle is the brake pedal switch. When you brake, it returns the vehicle to idle whilst you are braking/stopping. Sometimes these can become loose/dislodged and give these symptoms. Have a quick check and ensure your switch plunger is connecting with the brake pedal firmly when depressed and disconnecting (clicking off) when released.

Some require resetting - to do this, remove and pull the plunger right out to full length. Pushing the pedal down, refit in position firmly and then release the pedal. The sensor changes it's position as required, sometimes catching your foot underneath the pedal and lifting may cause it to reset the activation level further up the plunger, meaning it will kick in with little or no pressure on the pedal. Not awfully common on the fiat, but is a possibility.

If it is the ecu at fault, then it may not cure the issue. Another way around you could try is a total remap 'chipping' of the ecu. In theory this would wipe the ecu and replace with another program - no guarantee it will work if it cannot make a connection though, but may be a back door and give you more vroom!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have a chat with WOW! tuning at the next show you go to.. Good lads and very helpful.

If anyone can get the ECU to talk they can.. And once comms are established it would be easy to either reset to standard or better still have a tweek done at the same time..

What size is the lump ? Local firm here used to do recon ECU's .. I could ask for you :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
you need an adapter to communicate with the ecu on that year Fiat they probably did not have the right kit in the first place

Link Removed

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Have you seen this thread today, any help ?

Just received by recorded delivery a recall notice from Fiat regarding an "ECU software update to prevent engine failure warning light being illuminated and possible loss of power from engine"

Anyone else had the same or any prior knowledge of the recall.

Just had mine in my local Fiat garage for its annual service and a recall wasn't mentioned so maybe it was only for certain chassis numbers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back