Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
We camp all the year round and find that it is very cold around the driver and passengers' seats, especially in this arctic weather. At night we tuck our coats around the base of the seats and this seems to help, but we wonder if there is some insulation missing, has any other Autocruise owner experienced this, if so do you have a solution or any ideas?
2008 Autocruise Startrail on a Boxer
Any help appreciated -Thanks

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We have had three Autocruise motorhomes and found the cab area no colder than all the other Peugeot, fiat and Citroen conversions. You could fit extra insulation to the bulkhead and under the cab floor. I found this did help a lot. There isn't much else you can do other than fit a thermal curtain between cab and living area for the winter.
I have a Renault Master conversion now and the cab area is much better insulated than all my previous vans.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our Auto-Trail is the same.
We were out last week and the heating couldn't keep up with the cold coming from the front area (cab). We had the external screen cover on, which covers the screen and goes part way down the bonnet, and all of the cab vents closed with the airflow set to recirculate.
Eventually I made a curtain out of some throws we have for the seats, which went behind the driver/passenger seats.
It made a big difference, but meant we lost the use of two seats and the drop down tv.
It would seem that the manufacturers make a big deal of insulating the hab area, but do nothing about the base vehicle cab area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
You need to block up the holes in the door frames underneath the van, others will explain further, my brains gone dead at the moment:cry:

Peter

Thanks for your advice.

I was going to look for vents etc this weekend but have been ill and have just got out of bed. I will certainly be looking in the next day or two.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
one of the culprits is the pressed steel box section at the rear of the seat bases, it couples up with the box chassis members underneath which are fitted with rubber one way flaps for airflow. You can buy a Fiat plastic blanking stopper, the part number is 1355707080. The price each is £3.80. Obviously you will have to get on your back and get underneath to do it or if you have ramps it will be much easier. You should buy two because the opposite side might be missing. They just clip in place.
| Unlike

posted by rolandrat 24/03/2013

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
there may be a gap between the cab and the front of the coachbuilt bit as the manufacturers seem to think out of sight out of mind and they don't use their products.

i had this in mine so removed the trim at the back of the cab and fitted some of that pipe lagging foam cut in to strips in the gaps and it has made a lot of difference.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also check the moulding where the seatbelt 'reel' is located aren't letting in a draught either as that is often one area that is overlooked, if so, then a bit of foam slotted in (ensure the seatbelt still works properly) should do the trick. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
consider this......

you may have an inch or two insulation in the walls and roof, 3/4 inch of plywood floor and a carpet.

inside the front doors (and under the front seats) you have nothing but a bit of sound deadener between the outer metal skin and the inner cardboard door card and the under dash floor/bulkhead will have very minimal insulation.

unless you use the front seats as part of the hab area (seat swivels) then a thermal curtail behind the seats is the best bet.

if you use the seats then live with it or insulate the doors and under seat area.

How cold can you get before spending this kind of money :Eeek:

http://www.dynamatstore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=27

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
consider this......

you may have an inch or two insulation in the walls and roof, 3/4 inch of plywood floor and a carpet.

inside the front doors (and under the front seats) you have nothing but a bit of sound deadener between the outer metal skin and the inner cardboard door card and the under dash floor/bulkhead will have very minimal insulation.

unless you use the front seats as part of the hab area (seat swivels) then a thermal curtail behind the seats is the best bet.

if you use the seats then live with it or insulate the doors and under seat area.

I had thermally lined curtains made that trail the floor 50mm.Toastie /no draft

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Although we have silver screens outside I use a normal screen cover on the inside the ones you use to keep out sun in summer on your car . I trap it in place with the sun visors . Bought XXL size I think sold for vans and trucks. Also have two long cushions I bad to fit in door well. Both of these adaptations make a big difference . :Smile:

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
One of the annoying things about the Startrail are the vents under the bench seats. I vent on each side opens to the underseat locker and the other vent straight to the outside, presumeably underneath the van. This vent ensures a nice cold blast of air around the ol' tootsies, an obvious design enhancement to ensure that frozen feet can slip into wellington boots easier that hot, swollen feet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One of the annoying things about the Startrail are the vents under the bench seats. I vent on each side opens to the underseat locker and the other vent straight to the outside, presumeably underneath the van. This vent ensures a nice cold blast of air around the ol' tootsies, an obvious design enhancement to ensure that frozen feet can slip into wellington boots easier that hot, swollen feet.
Gaffa tape over the vent in the locker....problem solved :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It isn't rocket science to make-up some curtains (thermal backed ideally) to fasten round the cab in front of the cab seats so they can still be used - this is what we had on a few of our motorhomes and worked well. If you don't want to install a curtain track I'm sure it would be possible to use sticky Velcro on the cab surround and sew on Velcro on the curtains so they can be easily put up and taken down again

... hmmm ... might look at doing this myself as I do have some nice curtain material still but any bet I haven't got enough! :shout: ... I saw 3 pairs of nice blue thermal-backed curtains at the car boot sale yesterday, new in their wrapping ... I KNEW I should have got them!!! :Doh:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
one of the culprits is the pressed steel box section at the rear of the seat bases, it couples up with the box chassis members underneath which are fitted with rubber one way flaps for airflow. You can buy a Fiat plastic blanking stopper, the part number is 1355707080. The price each is £3.80. Obviously you will have to get on your back and get underneath to do it or if you have ramps it will be much easier. You should buy two because the opposite side might be missing. They just clip in place.
| Unlike

posted by rolandrat 24/03/2013

Climbed under the MH this morning and discovered that it has FOUR of these vents. Two on each side.
The drivers side are blanked off, presumeably because the exhaust passes directly by them and in the event of a leak could allow fumes into the cab.
The two on the passenger side are still in operation, but hopefully not for long, as blanks have been ordered from North East Truck and Van and should be here by tomorrow (if they can get them, the storeman says :Doh:).
With any luck this will sort out the draught problem and keep a smile on SWMBOs face. :thumb:

Thank you for the part number as the storeman hadn't a clue what I was talking about, and even asked where I got the number and was it a genuine Fiat number. :RollEyes: If he doesn't ring me back I will know that he can get them.
If all else fails, use gaffer tape (duct tape)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Autocruise cold under the seats

The part number is the correct one, I fitted two to my motorhome. I have also stuffed four old socks with old 'T' shirts and forced them into the hollow channels. You can get to them by removing the drop down plastic seat covers and anything that is in the way then you will feel the holes that need stuffing up. Another source of cold air coming in is through the heater vent. When I park up I turn the control over to circulate and it closes the outside vent.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
The part number is the correct one, I fitted two to my motorhome. I have also stuffed four old socks with old 'T' shirts and forced them into the hollow channels. You can get to them by removing the drop down plastic seat covers and anything that is in the way then you will feel the holes that need stuffing up. Another source of cold air coming in is through the heater vent. When I park up I turn the control over to circulate and it closes the outside vent.

Thanks rolandrat.
I will be stuffing holes as soon as I can :Blush:
As I previously said, I turn the air to recirculate rather than fresh, but thanks all the same. :thumb:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Autocruise cold under the seats

If anyone decides to block off the draught causing holes in the box sections at the back of the seats it would be advisable to use man made fibre material against cotton as it breaths better and will stay fresh. When I did mine the difference was noticed straight away. Cotton holds moisture.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
After ordering the (their description, not mine):
P A1355707080 N/STK ORNAMENT, qty 2, @ 4.85 EACH, yesterday morning, North East Truck and Van had them for me by 08.00hrs this morning. :thumb:

I collected them this morning and they are now in place on the MH.
I have resisted stuffing holes for the time being as I would like to see what the differance is first, and also, trace any draughts that may now occur.

Once again a BIG thank you to all who replied and supplied the relative information. The divorce is now on hold :hug::beer:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
After ordering the (their description, not mine):
P A1355707080 N/STK ORNAMENT, qty 2, @ 4.85 EACH, yesterday morning, North East Truck and Van had them for me by 08.00hrs this morning. :thumb:

I collected them this morning and they are now in place on the MH.
I have resisted stuffing holes for the time being as I would like to see what the differance is first, and also, trace any draughts that may now occur.

Once again a BIG thank you to all who replied and supplied the relative information. The divorce is now on hold :hug::beer:

Do they just clip into place? Do they have some sort of seal?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Do they just clip into place? Do they have some sort of seal?

They have a seal all around the edges, kind of rubbery, spongy stuff, that looks like foam, and yes, they just clip into place.
Prize the old fitting out with a screwdriver (comes out very easily), and push the new ones in until they "click" into place.
Very easy too do. Must be cos I've done it. ::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Im not altogether sure what im looking for,i can see a black square blanking plate say around about 90mm x90mm?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Im not altogether sure what im looking for,i can see a black square blanking plate say around about 90mm x90mm?

That is the thing.
On mine there are two on each side of the MH. The ones on the drivers side are already blanked. The ones on the passenger side have two vent holes in them, covered with very thin rubber flaps, which really are very lightweight. These are supposed to allow air to flow out of the vehicle, but not in. Unfortunately, they are so weak that any light wind will lift them and allow air to go the other way, ie into the vehicle. So if you are travelling the air flow from your speed wil lift the flaps allowing a cold blast around the cab area.

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
That is the thing.
On mine there are two on each side of the MH. The ones on the drivers side are already blanked. The ones on the passenger side have two vent holes in them, covered with very thin rubber flaps, which really are very lightweight. These are supposed to allow air to flow out of the vehicle, but not in. Unfortunately, they are so weak that any light wind will lift them and allow air to go the other way, ie into the vehicle. So if you are travelling the air flow from your speed wil lift the flaps allowing a cold blast around the cab area.

Thanks alot ,i just crawled under the drivers side and found the 2 in question .Gonna call fiat now and get them ordered.It is quite a void inside there and i think i may bite the bullet and fill them.Two pairs of the wifes draws should sort it,a pair on each side.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Thanks alot ,i just crawled under the drivers side and found the 2 in question .Gonna call fiat now and get them ordered.It is quite a void inside there and i think i may bite the bullet and fill them.Two pairs of the wifes draws should sort it,a pair on each side.

Glad you have found them, but don't forget to look on both sides of the MH.

If I use Mrs knokinonabits' drawers I will have to cut them in half, cos I'll never get a whole pair into the void :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Other side already has the blanks, i was quoted £6.50 each ( Canterbury after all) but after i said " Knockingonabit got em for £4.85 " We cut the deal at £5 each. He actually laughed and thought something was wrong :Doh: :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't suppose someone could take a photo of the exact area where these 'holes' are could they so I know what I'm looking for when I next slither under the van! :Blush:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Minx i would have but its dark out there now and also my pictures never seem to be big enough.Once you look underneath in what would be the area just behind the seat,you will see a flat vertical part of the chassis.In the centre there will either be a square hole,a flat solid piece of plastic or a vent type fitting with what i can only describe as a couple of silk like flaps.The solid ones are blanks and are ok but the ones with the silk like flaps are the ones to replace.There are 2 on each side ,one you will see immediately and the other is at 90 degrees to that one.You may have to pull you head under a few inches more.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hopefully not OT, and as it seems the Fiat problem has been solved, here's the same question, different cab:

Does the Transit cab have similar vents that I should be looking to block up? Had a nasty cold airstream coming from under the cab seats into the hab area when in the snow at Harrogate recently!

Steve :Smile:

Edit: sorry, just realised this is in the make specific area of the forum. If nobody moves it out, I'll try again with a fresh topic in the correct area!

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I would imagine it has,you will have to wait for a fellow Forder. I also get a draught in my vauxhall vivaro so am going to have a gander tomorrow.Once you get under there its easy to identify.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back