LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Almost inevitably the same questions arise on motorhome forums as new members join having just bought a motorhome (or being in the process of considering one). For a while now I've had in the back of my mind the idea of creating a web page based on our own experiences to attempt to provide answers to some of those questions.

It is very much a work in progress so will probably never be complete. Hopefully it will be of use to somebody. Click Here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice one Graham - reminds me WHY we like a FIXED bed ... no messing about with boards etc each night! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Great idea - I had a list of 'requirements' when looking for our MH, fixed bed, swivel seats, extra seat belts, a/c - ended up with a Burstner T615:thumb: .......because the wife liked the upholstery !! :Doh:(which I didn't)

What were your 19 requirements ?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I had a 'look' and although you state the caveat that it is based on your own experiences it is heavily biassed and dominated by your own point of view.

Much of it is specific to the two vans that you have owned and therefore limited by your own very narrow range of experience. I am not sure what message you are giving in your section on 'Off site camping' other than you disapprove strongly :whatthe:

The nature of your intended audience is likely to be 'advice seeking' and I think that your comments generally are based on personal experience and might be considered authoritative by newcomers.

I like the concept of your intentions but perhaps it may 'scan' better if you changed the title to something like 'Our personal motorhome experience and views' then no one like me would be able to offer comments like mine :whatthe:

I do of course say all this with a smile and do not wish to offend you. I am just offering up another consideration.

:Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had a 'look' and although you state the caveat that it is based on your own experiences it is heavily biassed and dominated by your own point of view.

Much of it is specific to the two vans that you have owned and therefore limited by your own very narrow range of experience. I am not sure what message you are giving in your section on 'Off site camping' other than you disapprove strongly :whatthe:

The nature of your intended audience is likely to be 'advice seeking' and I think that your comments generally are based on personal experience and might be considered authoritative by newcomers.

I like the concept of your intentions but perhaps it may 'scan' better if you changed the title to something like 'Our personal motorhome experience and views' then no one like me would be able to offer comments like mine :whatthe:

I do of course say all this with a smile and do not wish to offend you. I am just offering up another consideration.

Perhaps you missed this in the title " based on our experiences" ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Perhaps you missed this in the title " based on our experiences" ?

Jim, No I didn't. I am suggesting that the FAQ page is very heavily biased towards the author's personal opinions and experiences. Maybe you missed my first line ? :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No

Of Course it is - what else do you expect?

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

You say you do not wish to offend but, quite frankly, I do find your post offensive.

As Jim pointed out, I state right up front that it is based upon our experiences. The section on Off Site Camping happens to be based on experience arising from in depth research over the last six and a half years. Yes, it contains my opinions but those opinions are all backed up by the facts also stated there.

If people do not wish to read the page or do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so. It is also perfectly possible for others to create similar pages giving their own points of view if they wish to. That, though, would take rather more effort than simply "having a go", so I don't suppose there is much chance of it happening.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
A bit like a day in the life of you and your van.
The factual parts speak for themselves but the WILD camping piece I'm my opinion is utter tosh!
I've had my Motorhome in some truly WILD locations in Scotland,miles from anywhere and anyone.As a matter of fact it's not illegal to sleep in your Motorhome ,and as far as drinking water goes its a matter of personal taste however there is enough chlorine in uk tap water for it be safe enough to drink straight from your mh tank.
There's advice both good and bad and then there's being miss informed.

Vlad.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A bit like a day in the life of you and your van.
The factual parts speak for themselves but the WILD camping piece I'm my opinion is utter tosh!
I've had my Motorhome in some truly WILD locations in Scotland,miles from anywhere and anyone.As a matter of fact it's not illegal to sleep in your Motorhome ,and as far as drinking water goes its a matter of personal taste however there is enough chlorine in uk tap water for it be safe enough to drink straight from your mh tank.
There's advice both good and bad and then there's being miss informed.

Vlad.

As I said above, if people do not wish to read the page or do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so. However, if you are going to read it then please actually read what it says.

Nowhere do I state that it is generally illegal to sleep in a motorhome but it is not true that it is "a matter of fact it's not illegal to sleep in your Motorhome". There are many places throughout the UK where there is a ban on sleeping in a motorhome and it is that fact which is the basis of my statement "Selfishly indulging..................", Scarborough Borough Council being the most recent example I can recall of a council bringing in extra restrictions because of abuse (those restrictions definitely making it illegal to sleep in a motorhome in the places covered).

As regards drinking water, that section is totally a description of our own experiences and states quite clearly that the reason for using a filter was off-flavours rather than purity (if you look again you'll see there is a clue in the words "though the water was safe").

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As you so rightly point out ,read what it says!
You can,and I do,wild camp in a Motorhome.
Fact ! It is not illegal to sleep in your vehicle,I do however when I selfishly indulge I make sure I do so legally.

Vlad

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I think it's great that you guys can call each others work, 'utter tosh' and have no qualms about it. :thumb:
Personally, as a newbie to all this stuff, I found the article interesting. After all, that's what info forums are for.... I think.
Anyway, I'll just go on reading all the utter tosh that is posted and learn what I can from all of it. ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a point of order here sir !!

I have NOT read it so have no valid comments to make on the blog / faq..

BUT !!

Is not:

GJH said:
if people do not wish to read the page or do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so.

An absolute classic oxymoron !!?

How can a person form an opinion as to whether they agree with what is written UNTIL they have read it ? :Blush::winky:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just a point of order here sir !!

I have NOT read it so have no valid comments to make on the blog / faq..

BUT !!

Is not:
if people do not wish to read the page or do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so.

An absolute classic oxymoron !!?

How can a person form an opinion as to whether they agree with what is written UNTIL they have read it ? :Blush::winky:
Point taken John ::bigsmile:
If people do not wish to read the page then they do not have to do so.
If, having read the page, people do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so.
:thumb::winky:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it's great that you guys can call each others work, 'utter tosh' and have no qualms about it. :thumb:
Personally, as a newbie to all this stuff, I found the article interesting. After all, that's what info forums are for.... I think.
Anyway, I'll just go on reading all the utter tosh that is posted and learn what I can from all of it. ::bigsmile:

::bigsmile: I've just added some more tosh so enjoy ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Graham, good work. :thumb: Clearly the FAQs are based upon your experience and point of view and are not pretending to be some definitive item. So not sure why you should get any flak for it. I look forward to you adding and refining the FAQ from your further camping experiences:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Would it be an idea for Jim to create a top tips section on the site ?:thumb:

I've thought about it long and hard. In fact I already have one written that is so comprehensive, it's around 75,000 words long. Thing is, if I posted it, newbies might not need to ask any questions, and would be much less likely to join in the fun. That might mean the 12 newbies on the rally this weekend would not have joined. I worry that if we come just a place of motorhome facts then community aspect of the site that I'm so proud of, would maybe suffer. I'm not saying it would be so, just that I worry it might.

I'd rather a newbie pop up and ask the question, even if that question has been asked a hundred times before, that way the ice gets broken and before long we have a new active member and the community grows. :thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You say you do not wish to offend but, quite frankly, I do find your post offensive.

I apologise for offending you GJH.

We are all entitled to our own opinion and I have stated mine. The fact that you posted on here for people to read it will make you vulnerable to criticism. I still maintain that you are 'suggesting' by default that your answers are the correct answers, this is simply not true, they are your belief and are not by definition fact based.

I don't want to get into a bun fight over this. My posting very simply offered an alternative to the biassed views that you take.

For the record I agree with others that a 'FAQ' kind of article is quite valid and helpful to many newcomers.

:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have just re read your webpage and notice that you have added quite a lot of valuable content since I first commented.

This in turn does dilute much of what I have said. :Doh:

::bigsmile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped...........I'd rather a newbie pop up and ask the question, even if that question has been asked a hundred times before, that way the ice gets broken and before long we have a new active member and the community grows. :thumb:
Absolutely spot on Jim. :thumb:

I don't have a problem answering the same or similar question, especially if it means helping someone out, and if I can remember (seems to becoming more difficult these days) where I answered the same query previously, then I'll link the poster to that thread. :Smile:

Graham (GJH), if Rita and I were newbies to MH'ing, we'd be ever so grateful for articles like yours, which would be a good grounding to start learning from. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, good work. :thumb: Clearly the FAQs are based upon your experience and point of view and are not pretending to be some definitive item. So not sure why you should get any flak for it. I look forward to you adding and refining the FAQ from your further camping experiences:thumb:

Thank you Jim. I know exactly why I get flak from certain people but it is not worth going into detail other than to say if anybody thinks I am referring to them then that conclusion is theirs based on their own knowledge of their own character traits which, as a result, perhaps they should examine :roflmto:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thank you Jim. I know exactly why I get flak from certain people but it is not worth going into detail other than to say if anybody thinks I am referring to them then that conclusion is theirs based on their own knowledge of their own character traits which, as a result, perhaps they should examine :roflmto:

Do you Graham? Why do you get flak from certain people? Do you have some shady secrets of which some of us aren't aware? :roflmto:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back