Just fitted new fridge and knocked out whole 12v circuit (1 Viewer)

neilessex

Free Member
Jul 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 months
Our old 3 way fridge died so spent a fortune on a replacement and have just fitted it. The old fridge had an electric ignition so there was a extra wire on the 12v circuit for that. The new fridge for some reason has AA batteries which run the gas ignition so this wire isnt needed. i have left this disconnected but now the rest of the 12v circuit isnt working (hob ignition, satelite receiver, cascade gas ingition, 12v socket etc) Any ideas greatfully received as cant really afford an electician Thanks ::bigsmile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Just an idea I had probs once with gas hob etc not igniting, I found the fuse near the leisure battery blown I think it was 20 amp I cant check it I dont have that van now. Pete

OP
OP
N

neilessex

Free Member
Jul 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 months
:thumb:i thought i had checked all the fuses but should prob have a proper look round in case there are some somewhere else. my thoughts were that the 12v circuit isnt working as the old fridge elctric ignition wire needs to be coneected to something but i dont have anything to connect it to on new fridge if that makes sense

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Rest assured leaving the igniter wire dangling will not affect anything else

About the only thing that springs to mind is that the relay that switches the fridge over to 12v may have done something odd and caused a fuse to go.. Even that seems unlikely but without running a meter and an eye over it all diagnosis is difficult and biased towards a guess !

I not you are in Essex ?

If all else fails you are most welcome to take a drive over to me in Thetford, Norfolk and I will take a gander.. Obviously there will be a cost... You will have to listen to my inane waffle while I fiddle ! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
N

neilessex

Free Member
Jul 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 months
Thanks Jaws - right if its not the unconnected old igniter wire sounds like i need to check fuses a bit more thoroughly- and if that doesn't work might take you up on your offer as the kids want to go to the Dinosaur place near there again :Smile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
:thumb:i thought i had checked all the fuses but should prob have a proper look round in case there are some somewhere else. my thoughts were that the 12v circuit isnt working as the old fridge elctric ignition wire needs to be coneected to something but i dont have anything to connect it to on new fridge if that makes sense

Hi
The one that caused me trouble was on the live lead near the battery, my van at the time was a bessi and the battery was under the floor in the hab area. Pete :thumb::thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Our old 3 way fridge died so spent a fortune on a replacement and have just fitted it. The old fridge had an electric ignition so there was a extra wire on the 12v circuit for that. The new fridge for some reason has AA batteries which run the gas ignition so this wire isnt needed. i have left this disconnected but now the rest of the 12v circuit isnt working (hob ignition, satelite receiver, cascade gas ingition, 12v socket etc) Any ideas greatfully received as cant really afford an electician Thanks ::bigsmile:

Your fridge should not be connected to the van's 12V circuit.

It should be powered directly form a relay connected to then egine alternator.

It seems to me that you short circuited the 12v supply when you dispensed with the sopare cable no longer needed for the ignition.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Sorry you are having problems
I do recall in another thread on 12 volt problems a little knowledge is dangerous
You could set fire to your whole van thd Amps in your 12volt system are enough to weld metal. So if you don't know what your doing get professional help
The cost of not doing so could be the cost to replace the van

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
No matter what the date is.
A little knowledge is still dangerous
Too many play auto electrician and come a cropper it is to late once the fire takes hold and their pride and joy. Goes up in smoke

So unless your qualified in electrics leave well alone
The cost could be too high

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yeah - gotta laugh eh? :ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty sure there's a way to "close comments" on old threads when they've died a natural death.

A job for Jim!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back