can I fit spare wheel under van? (1 Viewer)

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
We have a Burstner 2009 Viseo (3 berth with "garage").

Carrying a spare wheel in the garage makes it difficult but not impossible to fit in our two bikes. Does anyone know if the spare could be fitted underneath this type of MH?

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
This might be a silly question but can't you fasten the bikes to the rear of the Burstner and give you more space in the garage for the spare wheel - and other items?

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Not a silly question at all but did not want the extra length a bike rack would entail and also wanted an easier way for elderly partner to store bikes.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wish my spare was in a garage. To get mine I have to lie full length under MH and struggle like mad, you don,t know you're born. In the rain this would be torture.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you have got a garage leave the spare in it.

Climbing underneath the van is a pain in the A.. e!

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
In our years of motorhoming we haven't had a puncture so hope not to have to lie under MH. Anyway - isn't that the breakdown mechanic's job ? Hopefully would have time for him to turn up.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've an older Burstner 615 with spare underneath

I'm pretty sure in the handbook it advises that you do not change the spare yourself :Doh: - I'd leave it in the locker and if I had a puncture phone recovery and put the kettle on:thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Thank you - I agree. Is there plenty of space for driviing over road humps with the tyre underneath. We do go slowly over these. Also what sort of people can do this job? Must it be a Burstner dealer?

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
There a guy selling the carriers on ebay. They are the later type
that dosent come loose.
£125 inc post, there are a couple of different types but his advert says tell him what Motorhome you have and he will supply the correct one.

Andy

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
This post has jogged my memory as keep meaning to try out the mechanism on our ducato,I think it somehow winds down with the use of the wheel brace kit?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do NOT assume you can put a spare wheel under your van, it will depend on what space is available and, more importantly, what may be in the way to prevent you doing this! I looked at doing a similar thing when we had our Chausson Flash 04 and never managed to sort it as it wasn't straightforward at all, so it ended up living in our garage too.

You'll really need to have a good shuftie under your van and see if you can identify a suitable place for the wheel so that it can be attached, and removed, quickly and easily, and that it's placement which won't create issues with other bits and pieces and also won't cause grounding problems either. Good luck! :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't know if it's an alko chassis but it's a Fiat base
my last fiat base (2001) had an Alko spare wheel frame attached right at the rear of the chassis.

the wheel fitted between the chassis side rails out of the way.

a pain to get at but could be lower from a kneeling position.

the mounting holes and securing hooks should already be in the chassis.

not a very clear picture but you can see the securing chains and hooks at the rear and the carrier was just a heavy wire frame pivoting at the front..

Attachments

• IMG_1262 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1262 (Large).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Not a silly question at all but did not want the extra length a bike rack would entail and also wanted an easier way for elderly partner to store bikes.

How about fitting the spare to the back wall (like some 4x4s). A very few MHs have this arrangement, which makes the spare easily accessible. It can always have a cover to improve the look.
My MH does not have a spare at all, and though I would like to have one, do not really have the spare payload.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
spare wheel

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. It is another option and wouldn't extend the length as much as two bikes on a bike rack. The wheel is very heavy though. The back wall may not take the weight.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Can i fit a spare wheel under the van

Hi,The problem is that unless you are very fit and good at lifting heavy wheels,and then as they say never try to jack it up yourself,the back wall is not a good place to put it as will cause stress on the body panel,i would keep it in the garage keeps it clean and easy to get too,also keeps the weather off of it and it does not suffer from cracks in the walls of the tyre,a bike rack is not that big easy to use can be fitted to a tow bar if wanted then you can take it off when not in use,fiamma bike rack on ebay most days,hope this helps you H ::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We have a Burstner 2009 Viseo (3 berth with "garage").

Carrying a spare wheel in the garage makes it difficult but not impossible to fit in our two bikes. Does anyone know if the spare could be fitted underneath this type of MH?

Quite possibly
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back