Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Couldn't get to Chester this weekend as I had to visit my daughters down in Leamington Spa - so got that out the way today and decided to spend the weekend at a C&CC site at Kingsbury Water Park - very busy full of caravans and a few motorhomes - now its a bit chilly here but not nearly as cold as Newark last week and no gale force wind. But of course every caravanner has every electric heater on full blast. Result the whole site has tripped out 3 times so far tonight!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Couldn't get to Chester this weekend as I had to visit my daughters down in Leamington Spa - so got that out the way today and decided to spend the weekend at a C&CC site at Kingsbury Water Park - very busy full of caravans and a few motorhomes - now its a bit chilly here but not nearly as cold as Newark last week and no gale force wind. But of course every caravanner has every electric heater on full blast. Result the whole site has tripped out 3 times so far tonight!

You survived Newark this should easy nearly tropical :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I don't understand your gripe, what excess power usage has a caravan got that a motorhome hasn't ?:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had a similar experience when a group of new 'All electric' caravans were on the same ring as me. I had a 500w tube heater and every time I plugged it in it tripped.:Angry: Closer inspection revealed two of the 'vans had 4 teenage daughters between them who simultaneously were drying their hair making toast,coffee,watching TV listening to the stereo and probably charging various electrical devices!:whatthe:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had a similar experience when a group of new 'All electric' caravans were on the same ring as me. I had a 500w tube heater and every time I plugged it in it tripped.:Angry: Closer inspection revealed two of the 'vans had 4 teenage daughters between them who simultaneously were drying their hair making toast,coffee,watching TV listening to the stereo and probably charging various electrical devices!:whatthe:

And this couldn't happen in a motorhome?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have no idea why, but, speaking from experience of both sides of the fence / hobby / whatever you want to call it, caravaners seem reluctant to rely om battery and gas power.. Every caravan I ever go in when its cold always has a fan heater on .. In fact I have, only this week, had a long chat with a local group of caravan enthusiasts and whilst puting the world to rights was amazed to find that not ONE of them would take their tin snail on the road unless it was either going to be warm or they could be sure of EHU
When I said we had spent last weekend in the snow at the Lincoln show, every single one of them was amazed we did not have a BIG genny or big duvets !!
Although they all admitted to having full gas heating, over half did not really know how it worked and the other half said they did not feel the cost of the gas was worth the effort of using it ( or words to that effect )

I think perhaps caravaners ( in general but obviously not all ) are reluctant to plot up without EHU, and usually tend to use it quite a bit compaired to vanners.

As a by the by, is it possible a caravan does not handle the cold as well as a van ?
I have only limited experience of caravan ownership ( did not like it a lot nor the people who I met on the sites we visited.. different breed to mh owners as far as I am concerned ) so this is a quite genuine question and I am neither fishing or poking fun :Smile:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I totally agree with Gooney on this. Mind you I always worry about folk wearing shorts at this time of the year :ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
¿Qué? as Manuel would have said.

Had you attended CC weekend rallies when you were in that club Jaws, no EHU would have been encountered. It's still as rare as hen's teeth ! Plus a lot of holiday rallies are on farmer's fields or on rally fields at campsites, where the rally fields have no EHU.

But of course, the type of people who like to rally, don't tend to go on the sites where there is electrickery or 5* toilet blocks, you'll more likely find em on a nice quiet CL with no EHU, no toilets or showers and no hard standings. And if they own a moho - aires.

We had a caravan before a motorhome and simultaneously, tents. Don't think our attitude has ever changed.

There are idiots with caravans, with tents and motorhomes, the first lot probably can't reverse their van round corners and may have difficulty levelling it nor would they know their diff lock from their steering lock even though they own a top of the range 4WD sooper dooper megabucks tow car. The second lot go berserk if they discover a creepy crawly in their tent and light it with candles at night cos they are pretty. And the third lot didn't realise they had to a) open the trap on the loo b) empty the cassette before it overflowed or c) use their 2000w hairdrier on 12v .......

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: just had a look at buying a caravan when I looked at the gas fire the front was loose I asked about it he said that they never used it and only used the fan heater did not even know how to light it :ROFLMAO:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012

you have mnade no mention of the electric still you have running in the underbed locker have ya :Smile:

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Isn't a battery an extra on caravans? Not sure about the UK caravans but the continental ones tend to only offer it as an extra apart from the Scandinavian Kaba's etc.

No battery means EHU.

All this 'tripping' reminds me of my youth..........?!?!?! I mean the time in a Danish marina where I was close to the end of the jetty and noticed an odd smell in the boat. Nothing unusual about that on my boat but it persisted. Finally tracked it down to my huge battery bank which was boiling. The electric point on the jetty kept tripping so I kept resetting it but it continued to trip.

A while later I visited my friend on the same jetty who was enjoying a beer in his cockpit with his, shall we say 'slow' nephew. After a few minutes I noticed his shore power cable leading from the electric point, over the jetty, into the water but no visible signs that it exited the water at any place. He was wondering why his battery's were not charging but importantly why his fan heater wouldn't work! He had diesel blown heating onboard but he always thought it a bit noisy!

Apparently his 'slow' nephew plugged them into shore power then smelt the beer, left the coiled up cable on the deck which slid orf and into the water. Catastrophe! My battery charger had a de-sulphating facility on it whereby every time it was switched on it would blast the battery's with a high powered pulse to loosen off any calk on the plates. This happened way too many times and boiled my batteries as I kept resetting the electric (my theory anyway).

My ex-friend just laughed and his 'slow' nephew shrugged his stupid shoulders. But at least their fan heater was working again.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I have no idea why, but, speaking from experience of both sides of the fence / hobby / whatever you want to call it, caravaners seem reluctant to rely om battery and gas power.. Every caravan I ever go in when its cold always has a fan heater on .. In fact I have, only this week, had a long chat with a local group of caravan enthusiasts and whilst puting the world to rights was amazed to find that not ONE of them would take their tin snail on the road unless it was either going to be warm or they could be sure of EHU
When I said we had spent last weekend in the snow at the Lincoln show, every single one of them was amazed we did not have a BIG genny or big duvets !!
Although they all admitted to having full gas heating, over half did not really know how it worked and the other half said they did not feel the cost of the gas was worth the effort of using it ( or words to that effect )

I think perhaps caravaners ( in general but obviously not all ) are reluctant to plot up without EHU, and usually tend to use it quite a bit compaired to vanners.

As a by the by, is it possible a caravan does not handle the cold as well as a van ?
I have only limited experience of caravan ownership ( did not like it a lot nor the people who I met on the sites we visited.. different breed to mh owners as far as I am concerned ) so this is a quite genuine question and I am neither fishing or poking fun :Smile:

DON'T BELIEVE HIM!

He was set up next to me at Newark last weekend. Lincoln Show indeed!

Oh Dear, hope that was his misus in the van with him. I expect I could be mistaken, he might have been at the Lincoln Show after all.

:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

I was a tugger until last year (please don't make up silly jokes)!
Of course I heated water with electric, use of the electric hot plate, fan heater and lights. I was paying £5 per night, so of course I didn't use my gas.

My neighbour has a smart caravan and it is towed by a Discovery! She admits that when they sell their caravan, NO GAS APPLIANCE has ever been used! Doesn't like gas.

When I told her my MH will let me go days without services connected, she was amazed but aghast at the thought. Nice CC site with all services plumbed in and microwaved food or eating out.

None of us will be the same. I don't see myself with a 5th wheel but then that owner wouldn't want my eurobox but we all like what those choices offer us and we will all end up crammed into a field or shaded by a palm tree?

ps Both pictures will apply to Peterborough

Attachments

• parks.jpg
    parks.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 49
  • palm.jpg
    palm.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 47
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
i think you are a closet caravaner :Smile:

No not a closet caravanner Bill, like Sedge I've done the lot, tents, caravans and motor homes and thoroughly enjoyed each phase I've been through and never looked in envy or scorn at what someone else has got, it's all about the freedom (CC wardens willing) to do what you want when you want:roflmto: unfortunately health issues made me sell up my pride and joy end of last year but we still get out and about in rented cottages now:thumb:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As a previous tugger of many years, it always facinated me, as I walked Lady Faith just before bed, in the dark, how many unoccupied awnings had an orange glow from there halogen heaters when the outside temperature was below freezing. :Doh:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
best part of a caravan is when they melt em down for the aluminium :ROFLMAO:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Last year i parked up on a C&CC temporary holiday site for 3 weeks. Just a couple of stand pipes and a chemical disposal point, it was a large field that could take 70 plus units.

Lot of tuggers on site over the period i was there, and just about all of them using portable solar panels. a couple used gennys a couple of times, but then so did motorhomes, but all used with consideration.

I have solar panels, 375 amps of battery, and gas. However if i am on hook up I will use electric, why wouldnt I!!! If the whole site keeps tripping, then surely that is a fault with the site electrics, not individual units!

I dont get all this "them and us" stuff!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last year i parked up on a C&CC temporary holiday site for 3 weeks. Just a couple of stand pipes and a chemical disposal point, it was a large field that could take 70 plus units.

Lot of tuggers on site over the period i was there, and just about all of them using portable solar panels. a couple used gennys a couple of times, but then so did motorhomes, but all used with consideration.

I have solar panels, 375 amps of battery, and gas. However if i am on hook up I will use electric, why wouldnt I!!! If the whole site keeps tripping, then surely that is a fault with the site electrics, not individual units!

absolutly, we can manage compleatly without hookup but if I have paid for it ,I am goin to use it to the full:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

I dont think its a case of "Them and us". Am of the belief its more a case of what suits you at the time. I spent many years as a caravanner before taking up motorhoming and at the time a caravan suited me best as I had children that were not content to just sit on a beach or in a field with not much else to do only chew the fat. I was also working at that time and had few holidays so it would not have been practical to have a motorhome sitting around doing nothing for most of the year.
When I took up motorhoming seriously I bought an American RV and had a towcar with Aframe. In those days I was content to sit for months in one spot and the RV was perfect for long term trips.
When I started to do more touring I went for a more tour friendly vehicle which was a European size and that lifestyle suits me now.
If on the other hand it became impossible to tour I would quite possibly revert back to a caravan, but would leave it in Spain and fly back and forth, keeping a small car in Spain to run around in.
Yes I know it sounds daft to pay site fees for the whole year for a caravan, and I could take an apartment for less money, BUT I like campsite life. Thats why am a camper, regardless of what I camp in.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If the whole site keeps tripping, then surely that is a fault with the site electrics, not individual units!

Kingsbury is, I think, the only site I've stayed at where the EHUs have tripped overnight several times. Either things are a bit temperamental there electric-wise, or they attract a lot of power-mad motorhomers/caravanners.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
DON'T BELIEVE HIM!

He was set up next to me at Newark last weekend. Lincoln Show indeed!

Oh Dear, hope that was his misus in the van with him. I expect I could be mistaken, he might have been at the Lincoln Show after all.

:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DOH !!!!! :Doh::Doh:

Yes, sorry, and thank you Ludo for the correction :thumb:
Sometimes I am sure my brain is WAY too far from my fingers when I type !

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Its the sites fault not the caravanner's, if you are open during the winter or early spring and have 16amp ehu's your electrics should allow for it.

Ian

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its the sites fault not the caravanner's, if you are open during the winter or early spring and have 16amp ehu's your electrics should allow for it.

Ian

I suspect that was a bit tongue in cheek :winky:
If not... well it kinda snaps of a rapist blaming a woman for an attack cos she wore a short skirt !

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No, if you have paid for a service :winky: You don't expect it to be cut short at the penultimate moment. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I totally agree with Gooney on this. Mind you I always worry about folk wearing shorts at this time of the year :ROFLMAO:

I HAVE to wear shorts over the cold weather, My left leg is in a cast :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back