LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There was a crowd of us sitting outside my van taking a beer last night including friends from all over Europe. I asked the question on how we in Britain are viewed by the rest of Europe. Some of the answers were as expected and confirmed my fears. They all knew that the industrial revolution started in England, I presume learnt from schooling. They all cannot understand how we have gone from the biggest manufacturing country in the world to what we are now. They all said that we were more known for quality products than Germany, even a German agreed on this. What none could understand was why we were allowing anyone to settle there without any form of support or prospects of a job. They were all shocked when I told them of our benefit system, even though they had heard it was very good towards immigrants, none realised how good. From what I heard it seems my fears are founded and that is, we are now known not only for our eccentricity but for our stupidity in allowing this to happen in our country.
How can a once great country fall into so much decline and ridicule ?.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
There was a crowd of us sitting outside my van taking a beer last night including friends from all over Europe. I asked the question on how we in Britain are viewed by the rest of Europe. Some of the answers were as expected and confirmed my fears. They all knew that the industrial revolution started in England, I presume learnt from schooling. They all cannot understand how we have gone from the biggest manufacturing country in the world to what we are now. They all said that we were more known for quality products than Germany, even a German agreed on this. What none could understand was why we were allowing anyone to settle there without any form of support or prospects of a job. They were all shocked when I told them of our benefit system, even though they had heard it was very good towards immigrants, none realised how good. From what I heard it seems my fears are founded and that is, we are now known not only for our eccentricity but for our stupidity in allowing this to happen in our country.
[HI]
How can a once great country fall into so much decline and ridicule ?.
[/HI]

WE don't use OUR vote wisely?

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
The answer is easy = successive useless, gutless, corrupt & greedy Governments & MEPs = an absolute travesty. Led by Oxford or Cambridge University graduates from wealthy families who've known no hardship and never done a decent days work in their lives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not quite convinced that its all successive governments fault. All European countries have governments, but they did not all start out with the same assets as us. We were one of the richest nations on the planet and were known around the world for quality products. You cant always blame the government for everything.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
How good is our benefit system? Did any one watch ITV Britain on the bread line last night.... Our Benefit system did not look that good. DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THE MAIL AND EXPRESS tell you.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Am not quite convinced that its all successive governments fault. All European countries have governments, but they did not all start out with the same assets as us. We were one of the richest nations on the planet and were known around the world for quality products. You cant always blame the government for everything.

We were NOT a rich country after WW2. All these ships, aircraft and arms provided to us by America had to be paid for. This country was on it's knees!
Germany had money poured in. (the Mashall Plan I think)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You cant always blame the government for everything.
Maybe not Dave, but StitchUp isn't far off the mark.

Larby also has a very valid point, and (hands up) one that I am guilty of myself, because I don't trust any of them to do the job properly, ie, for the people and their nation, and not for themselves, so why should I vote for them. Well, change for me is about, as on the next elections I will be voting, but it certainly won't be for any of the big three. :Angry:'

Cheers,

Jock.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
True Chris, BUT we are not the only country in Europe to receive imports. Chinese goods are evenly distributed around the globe, its not just Britain that is plagued by them.
although i agree,but dont forget, most of our cheap foreign imports came from japan in the 70/80's ,cars/bikes and we failed to move our technology forward,still pushing cars out with 30 year old technology under the bonnet.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The main points of ridicule seem to come from the way we encourage immigrants by our housing policy and the way we dish out money to these people who are seen to travel half way round the world to sit on our doorstep when we have now little or no industry to find them employment. They know we needed immigrant workers years ago to keep the cotton and coal industries going, but now there is no work they cannot understand why we still encourage them to come. I most be honest and have to say I did not have an answer :Doh:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
although i agree,but dont forget, most of our cheap foreign imports came from japan in the 70/80's ,cars/bikes and we failed to move our technology forward,still pushing cars out with 30 year old technology under the bonnet.

The same with the motor cycle industry, the early Japs out shined the old triumph/BSA and AMC stables,look at Triumph to day most of the engineering is Japanese and assembled in the Uk

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
UK is still in The Premiership regarding wealth (7 or 8 richest) The question is WHO HAS GOT IT ALL.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The UK Government repeatedly fails it's people at national and international level and then blames the other party. Our M.P's are a bunch of tossers.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The UK Government repeatedly fails it's people at national and international level and then blames the other party. Our M.P's are a bunch of tossers.

I agree it not a case of voting wisely....our choice is between nutters...plonkers...or blithering idiots.

barry

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
i think it was Ken Livingstone who said..DO YOU THINK THAT ANY GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A VOTE IF IT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE . So true. All Politicians are tarred with the same brush.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The country failed because the populous demanded more and more personal wealth, they expected to won their own homes, cars and even second vehicles TV's etc etc but wanted it all by working fewer hours, having longer holidays etc At the same time Asia brain washed it millions to live for work and not work to live, that kept prices down and quality due to pride in work went up.
The British public expected everything for nothing, had no pride in their work as they spent more time arranging the next strike. The pit owners made massive losses so the closed throwing thousands on the dole for the long term, it was soon realized that social benefits had to go up so that people could survive long periods, they got used to it and had no incentive to work. with the loss of the cheap coal the iron and steel industry collapsed along with the skills base and manufacturing industry in this country. We became a nation of importers with little or no exports so balance of payments to world markets got out of hand. Nationalised industries went down the pan because people treated them as jobs for life that you did not have to work at so the utilities by then losing money were given away. The fat cats that bought them up turned them around in 12 months and started making money for them selves, not the country and here we are today with a massive national debt.

Last edited:

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Forrest Gump

My mamma says my back is as crooked as a politician, ::bigsmile:
can anyone on the forum take these 3 points for me, the wife has flatly refused!!:ROFLMAO:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Unions

Not wishing to bash Unions as I have no experience of them and I'm sure they had their place etc. BUT, to quote a camper who has just left Javea to head home and was a Manager in car manufacturing (I believe Jaguar) some yrs a going. He gave me an insight into the problems he experienced with the Unions and how they helped to ruin that industry. sadly quite an eye opener.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
How good is our benefit system? Did any one watch ITV Britain on the bread line last night.... Our Benefit system did not look that good. DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THE MAIL AND EXPRESS tell you.

May be that was because they only showed British people. Believe me foreigners get a much better deal.

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
come the general election WHO will you all still VOTE FOR , the same old crowd, the tory, labour or the benders again. :cry: :Sad: :Doh:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Not wishing to bash Unions as I have no experience of them and I'm sure they had their place etc. BUT, to quote a camper who has just left Javea to head home and was a Manager in car manufacturing (I believe Jaguar) some yrs a going. He gave me an insight into the problems he experienced with the Unions and how they helped to ruin that industry. sadly quite an eye opener.

It's very simplistic to say that the Unions were responsible for the demise of our motor industry. Management were just as guilty. For example the Mini lost £8 (that was when £8 was real money) per vehicle sold for the first 10 years of production. That wasn't down to the Unions.

The car plants in the UK are the most efficient in Europe. The same workers and Unions are in these plants, but the management has been taught, by the foreign owners, how to manage properly.

Pete:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Management that could not manage.
Workers who would not work.
Greedy short term investors.

And little has changed.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO: when I worked at a coal mine all the union's were only in it for the fiddles they could sort out for them self's ie cheap morgages through the unions,nicking overtime, time off for crappy union courses and meetings about anything, and anything else that they could think of to dodge work a right useless bunch no wonder the management had trouble with them :ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

I DID work in the car manufacturing industry in the early 70's and believe me the management where very clever in the business of manufacturing strikes, if a shutdown was forecast because of a shortage of outside manufactured components (which happened a lot) one of the line managers would wind up a person or section and provoke a strike and some jumped up shop [HI]stupid
[/HI] steward would have the factory out in no time at all and play straight into the managements arms, I stuck it for a couple of years then got out:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back