In Car Video Recorders (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I know one or two Funsters have bought them, any reviews, good / bad, recommendations?

I had the same idea but some of the ones on ebay look a bit naff. Road Hawk look ok but it will be good to get some advice of those that have bought them. Some of them have a park feature where they will pick up anyone mooching round your van.

Dave

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Bought the Roadhawk HD a couple of months ago.

Works well, good quality pictures but expensive compared to the Ebay Chinese ones. I am sure some of them are good quality too (The Roadhawk is probably made in the same factory, mine says 'Made in China' on the box) :Smile: If you have a car with a heated front windscreen (with metal in the glass) or a van with a metal top then it does have an external GPS antenna supplied with it.

It does have a reputation to keep, so the quality seems fair, I was not sure about some of the Ebay examples without a lot of checking. I have got two leads and a couple of mounts so I can swap it between everyday vehicle and the motor home ...

When I emailed the company it was the MD who replied.....

Hope this helps.

Cheers

PS There is a review and discount code at Pocketgps world

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Does the Road Hawk have the park/anti vandal facility? Provision for a second/rear camera to be placed looking out of the hab door would be useful if it could then be linked to the tv inside the motorhome. Once you were shut down for the night it would double up as a small cctv.

Dave

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Does the Road Hawk have the park/anti vandal facility? Provision for a second/rear camera to be placed looking out of the hab door would be useful if it could then be linked to the tv inside the motorhome. Once you were shut down for the night it would double up as a small cctv.

Dave

Yes, there is a power cable with battery sensing/ shutdown that allows it to be on all the time.

There are twin and remote camera options (for Taxis for example - it says 3m extension) - but they are even more expensive. If you want external cameras to your TV I'd get one with a lead that plugs into the TV directly, not the Roadhawks which are better thought of crash recording devices ...........

See their Link Removed

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I bought a duel recorder from ebay. It has front and rear facing lense however it records your journey from the front and the inside of the car. At first I thought why inside the car? But, if you happen to be victim of the fraudsters they may well claim you were not paying attention because you were on your mobile or changing a CD. With this camera you have film to prove you were not distracted but driving normally. Anyway here is a review. Incidentally, I only paid £30 plus £5 postage. Reckon it should be good in my van (when I get it)

So far I have had it in my Rangie and it works pretty well. Not hooked up the cables yet. The mounting bracket will only adjust one way. On the range rover windscreen it severely limits the positions you can mount it.

Fitted X3000 in the car at last. Due to the slope of the windscreen and the mounting bracket not a lot of choices where to mount it. Motorhome may have less sloped windscreen so might be better. I decided to mount it low as I did not want to be running cables in the Rangie because it is waiting to be sold. Anyway, fitted the camera in the bracket and connected the cables (power and GPS) the power cable is u/s just like the one in the Techmoan review, common fault??? :Angry:

Changed power cable for my 5 volt Tomtom satnav power cable - sorted! The GPS cable fitted next, switched on ignition and, low and behold the unit fired up and worked perfectly. With the GPS unit just lying in the corner of the windscreen took about half minute to pick up a satellite signal (pleased with that ) switched ignition off few seconds later unit went off. Performance is not effected by the heated screen.:thumb:

Well, having used the camera for a few weeks now I have to say I like it. This one does not allow you to choose the length of each piece of film just runs on till switched off I think. I have now used it with the GPS which seems the pick up the satellite easily even with the receiver just chucked on the dash near the window. :thumb::thumb:

It has proved its worth on 2 occasions, once when some one reversed out onto the main road in front of me the other when some old nutter came around the corner on my side of the road at break neck speed. No damage but evidence is available should I ever need it.
So, very happy with the camera, leave it in the windscreen, fires up when I start the engine and turns off when I switch off. Take the card out when I want to back it up to the computer - easy peasy.:thumb:

I have used the PC software and felt it was pretty east to use. However, not been pushed to the limit as yet but it does look okay.

A further post about this camera. I have noticed that it occasionally drops bits of film or reports 'bad film' (could be the micro SD card) so that is not very encouraging. Worth considering if you are looking at buying.:whatthe:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Take a look at www.tehchmoan.com. He reviews a number of dvr cameras.
I bought the rear view mirror dvr and use it in my car as well as my Motorhome.

I have found it fine, I can review the videos on its own screen and by taking out the micro SD card view then on my mac.

I am currently working out how I can view them on my ipad.

It cost me £38 which was great and for that price, you can pay 10 times this much, it is very good value.

I bought this one because it is not very visible from the front and just looks like a std rearview mirror.

As the Motorhome has no rear through vision I can angle the mirror to the front so the passenger sunshade can be used up to the 90 degree position..

So for £48, inc sd card from eBay, I have a workable solution that is easily transferred from car to Motorhome.

If you look at the website where Techmoan bought it from, on his review, they have a slightly smaller length similar model, more expensive, but worth a look.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Take a look at www.tehchmoan.com. He reviews a number of dvr cameras.
I bought the rear view mirror dvr and use it in my car as well as my Motorhome.

I have found it fine, I can review the videos on its own screen and by taking out the micro SD card view then on my mac.

I am currently working out how I can view them on my ipad.

It cost me £38 which was great and for that price, you can pay 10 times this much, it is very good value.

I bought this one because it is not very visible from the front and just looks like a std rearview mirror.

As the Motorhome has no rear through vision I can angle the mirror to the front so the passenger sunshade can be used up to the 90 degree position..

So for £48, inc sd card from eBay, I have a workable solution that is easily transferred from car to Motorhome.

If you look at the website where Techmoan bought it from, on his review, they have a slightly smaller length similar model, more expensive, but worth a look.
www.techmoan.com

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Gs5000 hd

bought this over a week ago , small simple and excellent quality shots. GPS and G force, also softwear allows playback showing rout and speed alongside the video.

only downside , no internal battery life to speak of so has to be connected to supply all the time ( well except for around 10 mins of off battery recording ).
but so far pleased ... flea bay from the UK £69.99

Attachments

• dashcam.jpg
    dashcam.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 39
  • feature_4.jpg
    feature_4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
bought this over a week ago , small simple and excellent quality shots. GPS and G force, also softwear allows playback showing rout and speed alongside the video.

only downside , no internal battery life to speak of so has to be connected to supply all the time ( well except for around 10 mins of off battery recording ).
but so far pleased ... flea bay from the UK £69.99

I have just ordered a very similar one, you and GJH have bought virtually the same along with enery8

Ta All.,

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Mine has got an internal battery.:thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
before anybody goes down the ebay route for a camera, if you have a good smartphone I suggest you try one of the in car video recording packages for them. I have samsung galaxy S2 and the android app videoreg £2.95 and the samsung in car phone holder (which BTW has a sucker pad a million miles more superior to any fleabay bought one I have ever used). The camera built in the phone is far superior to the cheap in car camera ones on fleabay (I have one to) and there is highly accurate GPS/speed and time/date info in the recorded phone video which saves on a bump etc. The videoreg software is very adaptable compared to the fleabay stuff. definately worth a try IMHO.:thumb:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just a thought on these. I have seen several people on their phones driving in the last week and they are on camera. If I sent the footage to the police what would happen? Just a question. I struggle to view the blooming stuff on my laptop never mind taking a clip from it.:thumb:

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Dodgy Chinese Products

After watching the techmoan reviews I bought one from Amazon for about £30 which on the face of it looked good value for money but after only a few minutes of use the internal battery would not take a charge and promply shut down! so sent that back and got a refund. I then bought something similar to you other funsters, slightly more expensive but with GPS, I was very impressed with this but again, after just a few minutes the GPS data recording packed up!, that has now gone back and awaiting replacement. The only good thing about all this is the fact that buying through Amazon you can get your money back when things go wrong.
I guess I have just been unlucky, but twice?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/X3000-Board-Camera-Recorder-Logger/dp/B00AA8BP60/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364646200&sr=8-5"]X3000 2.7" 140? Dual Lens Dash Board Camera Car Dvr Black Box Video Recorder GPS Logger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I bought a cheap one through Amazon and it works brilliantly in daytime, though not much at night.
It has two cameras, the back one records basically the inside of the vehicle, with a bit of a view through the rear. It also records sound and can be played back showing position on google maps. I think it was about £40. It came without a memory card so that was extra (make sure its high speed 6 or 10)

The internal camera with sound is useful to me as in my voluntary work I may carry unaccompanied passengers and don't want to be caught out in one of the assault scams you hear about.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I bought a cheap one through Amazon and it works brilliantly in daytime, though not much at night.
It has two cameras, the back one records basically the inside of the vehicle, with a bit of a view through the rear. It also records sound and can be played back showing position on google maps. I think it was about £40. It came without a memory card so that was extra (make sure its high speed 6 or 10)

The internal camera with sound is useful to me as in my voluntary work I may carry unaccompanied passengers and don't want to be caught out in one of the assault scams you hear about.
i do hope you dont get such complaints. i take it you point out the camera and recording to anyone you transport in the vehicle?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
i do hope you dont get such complaints. i take it you point out the camera and recording to anyone you transport in the vehicle?

I have never had a problem, but have heard of a few. I do point out the camera, though it's pretty obviously on view.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Car cam MAP file

Bought a unit off ebay, very good HD, IR and GPS, but the map output is in a xxxxx.MAP format and I can't find any software (Google et al) that reads it. Any ideas?

ps apparently some PC video games use something like it.

JK

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a pick of the unit or some details might help. mine was off fleabay and eventually found a great download for it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
this is my pc screen shot..

its called DATAKAM player

Attachments

• in cab.jpg
    in cab.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 21

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I recently bought an HP F210, very compact, has all the features you would want and has performed perfectly.:thumb:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Bought a unit off ebay, very good HD, IR and GPS, but the map output is in a xxxxx.MAP format and I can't find any software (Google et al) that reads it. Any ideas?

ps apparently some PC video games use something like it.

JK

Have you tried "quick time"?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back