Tyres Again (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have just ordered two new Continental Camper tyres from my local ATS, £115 each, fitted. Last year I changed two off the front at 25,000 miles, this pair have now done 30,000 miles. Very happy with that.

Question is, what pressures should I be using? I have looked on loads of forums and I am now totally confused!

Rgds
Bill

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Mine are at 60 PSI all round as advised when at got the motorhome. But, I guess it will vary from van to van

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If you weigh your motorhome. . Weigh each axle . Then ask the manufacturer what pressure they recommend via their website.
Knowing the fully laden weight is not a bad practice in any case

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well mine say 79psi, but it says on the tyre the max is only 80 so i think i am going to run them on less as the recomened pressure for a boxer van is 60psi, would like to know what others think , ta

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have been using 5.0 bar. As far as wear goes it has worked a treat, tyres last a long time and no uneven wear. Ride is a little harsh though, thats why I am interested in what others are using.

Rgds
Bill

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I have Continental Vanco on all four corners of mr Autotrail Scout (Spronter chassis)... I took a while looking up the individual front & rear axle weights in the Autotrail handbook, then looked up the appropriate numbers in the Sprinter cab/chassis handbook (no small document!) and worked the pressures out to be 50psi front and 65psi rear.

When I went to borrow my Dad's compressor to do the checking/inflating etc I noticed the plate on the drivers door footwell that had the pressures listed on it... DOH!! Thankfully I had worked them out properly. When I checked them they were at 45 front and 48 rear!! I certainly noticed a difference to the ride/handling after they were inflated to the correct pressures... I'm looking forward to a bit better mpg in the future as well!

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
The tyre pressures on my Autocruise Starfire when i bought it were set at 79psi as per door pillar. The ride was very hard. The advive from previous relpies to weigh each axle when fully loaded and set the pressures accordingly is the only way to do it. I contacted Continental Tyres and they sent a file with the pressures for different axle loads. They are now set to Front 60psi and rear 65psi. The ride is now much improved. I cam mail you the file you require it.:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mine are at 60 PSI all round as advised when at got the motorhome. But, I guess it will vary from van to van

Are you sure?!:Eeek:

60 psi seems excessive for the front and not enough for the back!

The pressures are on a sticker inside the door aperture on a transit cab. These get you close enough unless you fancy weighing your van and contacting the tyre manufacturer.

Last edited:

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Mine are at 4.5 bar all round with conti camper tyres , air ride suspension on the back end . smooth ride , mind you here in Spain the roads are not full of potholes ,

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,Have been looking at your info and can tell you that the couriers that fly past you have 55 front and 65 rear,also vanco tyres give a hard ride,so many people have gone for Michelin to improve the noise and comfort,hope this helps:thumb: H.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There is a download in our library which may be useful ..

Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OK I have read all these threads, and I still cant see why you have to have "camper" tyres as oposed to ordinary van tyres if they are carrying the same weight, can anyone explain please. I have only come accross this since buying my newish van ( for us ) all the old vans I have had , I just treated as normal vans and had any commercial tyres that were going and kept at van pressures. In the boxer manual that came with the van it says around 60 psi but on the door post it says 79 and yet it says max is 80 on the tyre

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Fom www.whichtyres.com -

So what are Link Removed?

These tyres are designed specifically for use on motorhomes, the main difference is that they have tougher sidewalls.
This toughness helps in 2 ways, firstly they are more suitable to run at higher pressures that are required for motorhomes, and secondly the rigidity reduces tyre movement and stops the vehicle from swaying around, particularly whilst cornering.

There are also subtle differences in the tread compound which gives the tyres improved grip on wet surfaces and some differences in construction that make the tyre more resistant to abrasions & impacts.

Can I use normal Link Removed?

Absolutely, it is still legal and safe to use regular Link Removed as long as the load rating is high enough to carry the weight of the vehicle.
By using a standard van tyre you will of course not benefit from the features detailed above.
The main reason people fit standard van tyres is because of the cost implications of fitting Link Removed.
The camper equivalent tends to be about 15% more which can equate to upwards of £60 a set. Personally I think the cost is justified and worth the additional cost.

:france::france::france:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Noticing references to inflation pressures greater than 4.5 bar (65 psi) don't forget to check that the tyre fitter uses the correct valve type if you plan to use higher pressures. The standard rubber stemmed valve (as used on cars and many vans) is designed to a 4.5 bar limit; above this pressure, metal stemmed valves should be used.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Noticing references to inflation pressures greater than 4.5 bar (65 psi) don't forget to check that the tyre fitter uses the correct valve type if you plan to use higher pressures. The standard rubber stemmed valve (as used on cars and many vans) is designed to a 4.5 bar limit; above this pressure, metal stemmed valves should be used.

Thats right, I have drove vans all my life , all types back to A35s and commers , sherpas, anything and I have never found anything that wanted more than 60 psi before 80 seems out of this world to me and why would you want stiffer tyres surly that makes for a harder ride, dont get me wrong , I have a van now thats got these tyres and pressures,(they look like new to me but are 6 years old) but cant see the logic especialy when i can get commercial tyres (son in law a tyre fitter)for about £60 and campers are over £100 especialy when you are never going to wear them out , just get old

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
I would rather pay for camper tyres because you know that they designed for motorhomes . Van tyres are ok , but as has been said camper tyres are sold for motorhomes for the extra weight they can carry and the fact that some stand around doing nothing for the best part of the year this is one of the reasons they have stronger sidewalls . On my conti camper sidewall it states Max pressure 69 psi i would not go any where near that 4.5 bar all round is ok for me . 4.5 bar == roughly 64 psi . Dont forget you only have a very small amount of rubber in contact with the road surface ,pays to be safe .

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Off thread re tyre pressures, but can speak (type) from my experience re camper tyre versus commercial. On my last van I replaced all four Michelin camper tyres at once, to Good year commercial tyres, as recommended by my local fitter. Saved £200, but the ride was wobbly in comparison. Weaved in corners. Tried different pressures but never had the confidence that I had with the camper tyres. The commercial tyres just felt too flexible. New van is on Continental camper tyres...will stick with these in future.
Pays yer money, takes yer chances.
MM

Camper21

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Near Dover
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
A new game
OK I have read all these threads, and I still cant see why you have to have "camper" tyres as oposed to ordinary van tyres if they are carrying the same weight, can anyone explain please. I have only come accross this since buying my newish van ( for us ) all the old vans I have had , I just treated as normal vans and had any commercial tyres that were going and kept at van pressures. In the boxer manual that came with the van it says around 60 psi but on the door post it says 79 and yet it says max is 80 on the tyre

The explanation I was given is that tyres should not be used continually at their max load carrying capacity. Vans might very occasionally carry their max designed weight but motorhomes are close to or on their max weight 24hrs a day, 365 days a year. Hence the need for a specially designed camper tyre designed for just this situation. I see that the item uploaded by ScotJimlad says the same thing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back