Feb 17, 2011
chester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a Honda generator eui 10 or 20, not sure which one to go for, do I buy the cheaper one or push the boat out for the dearer one. We have 2 135amp leisure batteries, one 80 watt solar panel and 2000 watt pure sine inverter. At the moment the only time we don't use a hook up is when we go to the MMM shows, that's not to say we will always use hook ups. we want a generator as a safety net for charging the batteries. But which one to buy??

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
It's cheaper too !

I have pretty much the same set up ! I have the smaller one ( Bought before I had the solar panel fitted) as I used to wild camp in Scotland a lot ! It is now used as a back up for when the Sun don't shine !!! i.e. charging up the batteries !!
Off to Scotland for 6 weeks or so in May/June, it will be in use there !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

p.s. Wait for all the Kippor enthusiasts to put their oar in !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edit !....Just noticed you have a Scout too !!!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a Honda generator eui 10 or 20, not sure which one to go for, do I buy the cheaper one or push the boat out for the dearer one. We have 2 135amp leisure batteries, one 80 watt solar panel and 2000 watt pure sine inverter. At the moment the only time we don't use a hook up is when we go to the MMM shows, that's not to say we will always use hook ups. we want a generator as a safety net for charging the batteries. But which one to buy??

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Chris
I have the Honda 10i .1kw and I find that just right...I also have the 2kw Kipor..... because of its weight I leave at home..Big difference in the weight....same as the 2kw Honda
It all depends on how much electricity you will require .... what items you would be using.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I just bought a small kipor only 750 watt (I think)
It won't run our 800 watt heater but
It was a life saver a Newark ran it twice for about a hour a time to top up battery's
And it's light
And as I bought second hand of a member on here it was cheap even had fuel in it

Kipor or Honda god knows time will tell
Jtf in Leeds are doing a bried 1KW for 149.99 plus vat
Never heard of them but I had never heard of kipor till I joined fun

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Kipor or Honda god knows time will tell
Jtf in Leeds are doing a bried 1KW for 149.99 plus vat
[HI][/HI][HI]Never heard of them but I had never heard of kipor till I joined fun[/HI]

Most desent "Wet Fish Shops" sell them... :thumb:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sorry2:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Make me an offer around £400 for my genuine low hours Honda eu10.
PM me.
I'm not far away from you, in Salford.
Thanks

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Is the Kipor as quiet as the Honda?
Thanks.

I think the Honda 10i silent genny is a little quiter than the kipor not a lot as many other small suitcase genies....BUT the difference in all of them it is so small .....I was at Calais about 6 months ago and there must have been nearly every suitcase genny there that is on the market.......and to be fair there was not a lot of difference in the noise....except one of those like Aldi 650cc / 850cc two stoke none sine wave ....but to fair to the chap he did move away from every body else like a Leper because of the noise and smoke.

All I will say it depends on what you are prepaired to pay for a genny...how many times YOU may use it......and if you sell at a later date and may have only used it a little what your returns would be .........also which one will last the distance....I don't Know it depends how you treat them service them...:Doh:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If your primary use is battery charging, the EU10i will be fine. The power required by the onboard charger will not exceed 900 Va (watts) that is the continuous output of the EU10i.
I presume you intend to charge by plugging in to the mains EHU point - there is little point in making a direct 12V link to the batteries as this will almost certainly provide a lower charging current than the onboard charger.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That's Yorkshire price !!!...........................£600 for mine in Ludlow !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I always said you was a TIGHT ar**....:winky::winky:typical Lancastrian...I know you can peel an orange in your pocket....BUT :Doh:I said to chris that first time I have seen anybody pull a full glass of wine out of his pocket:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...as he walks along...:Eeek:

OP
OP
Chrisgd

Chrisgd

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
chester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Exp
i'm a newbie
If your primary use is battery charging, the EU10i will be fine. The power required by the onboard charger will not exceed 900 Va (watts) that is the continuous output of the EU10i.
I presume you intend to charge by plugging in to the mains EHU point - there is little point in making a direct 12V link to the batteries as this will almost certainly provide a lower charging current than the onboard charger.

Have to admit i haven't considered ho I'd use it, I suppose the easiest way would be connect it straight to the main EHU socket, if I do connect this are there any point I should consider? As you can guess never used a generator before!

Chris

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

lesson learned at nerwark show whilst using my geny [a lot of peaple still dont do it [ connect an earth to floor , mine had a power serge took geny and 230v system pl;us wife,s nippy machine,bought a new one at show, will from now on use earth to ground. van sorted, new in line power surge fitted electrsion to check before setting of again :thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I can vouch for the Hyundai 1000si, bought one from a local supplier with it seems a very good discount,(either that or a mistake at the till)£378 inc VAT, they also stuck the oil in and filled with petrol and tested etc for me.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
After Newark I was thinking about getting a generator, and it was suggested to me that a battery to battery charger would do the same job in conjunction with an inverter... ie. replace charge to the leisure batteries by just running the vehicle engine for a short time to let the battery to battery charger fast-charge the batteries.

I see this not been mentioned in this thread so far... am I thinking of a different solution to a different problem? The battery to battery charger option seemed to provide the same solution without having to have a genny to lug round, fuel, secure with chain etc.

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I've got the smaller Honda, had it a few years but never used it, run it every so often to keep it moving, but the solar keeps me going.

Goof as a back up though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lesson learned at nerwark show whilst using my geny [a lot of peaple still dont do it [ connect an earth to floor , mine had a power serge took geny and 230v system pl;us wife,s nippy machine,bought a new one at show, will from now on use earth to ground. van sorted, new in line power surge fitted electrsion to check before setting of again :thumb:
earthing the van wont stop power spikes and probably wont serve any real purpose either.as few generators have a true earth anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back