Calor lite 6kg propane frozen bottle (1 Viewer)

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
I have an Autotrail Comanche with a 13 kg calor gas propane bottle and a 6Kg Calor lite propane bottle. The live bottle was the 6 kg and was almost full. The heater stopped working and so I tried the cooker's gas rings and they too were not working. I checked the gas locker and found that the calor lite was frozen. The outside was covered in frost and ice like the inside of an old ice box. The outside temp was -5 degrees centigrade. As propane freezes at -43 degrees I cannot see why this has happened. The large bottle was fine.
Has anyone else had this problem with Calor Lite?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

A big thread on this a week or so ago. All you can do is heat it a bit. As the gas boils off it needs a lot of heat and freezes itself. Your other bottle will do it just as well. Maybe you could alternate bottles and let one thaw.

This is how a gas fridge works.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi and welcome to fun.

I have used calor lite bottles high up in the Alps at -30 without issue.

What makes you think the bottle is frozen?

Is the other bottle working ok?

Strange but not impossible, maybe draught up a quick mail to calor and ask them the question. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The bottles do get a coating of ice on them when they are used.. It is the effect of the liquid turning to gas inside the bottle.
It may well have been a case of the valve partially freezing.. Quite possibly a duff bottle of gas that has some water vapour in it ( had it once, a long time ago ! I took the bottle out and took it for a 50 yard walk, then opened the valve for several seconds to blast it out.. A big glob of ice came flying out after a couple of seconds !!!! )

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Just a thought,

If the fridge is on gas, the hobs are on and the boiler on full will the smaller bottle be able to supply enough gas when it is extremly cold?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Just a small point but propane does not freeze at minus 42, that is its boiling temperature below which it will simply stay as liquid. If you have been drawing gas off quite quickly, running a Combi 6 heater for example then the cylinder temperature may have dropped to around minus 40 ish and therefore the liquid will not boil to produce any more vapour till it has warmed up.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have an Autotrail Comanche with a 13 kg calor gas propane bottle and a 6Kg Calor lite propane bottle. The live bottle was the 6 kg and was almost full. The heater stopped working and so I tried the cooker's gas rings and they too were not working. I checked the gas locker and found that the calor lite was frozen. The outside was covered in frost and ice like the inside of an old ice box. The outside temp was -5 degrees centigrade. As propane freezes at -43 degrees I cannot see why this has happened. The large bottle was fine.

That's a lot of load for a 6kg bottle in -5C. I wouldn't even expect it to work. You might find a chart showing the expected available take off at that temperature and I bet it will be a lot lower than a gas heater, hob and fridge will take.

OP
OP
Followtheox

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
Pic of gas bottle

Broken Link Removed
That's a lot of load for a 6kg bottle in -5C. I wouldn't even expect it to work. You might find a chart showing the expected available take off at that temperature and I bet it will be a lot lower than a gas heater, hob and fridge will take.

I am trying to upload a picture of the bottle but it might not work, yes it did, above is the picture, that's how I know it was frozen! It is fine again now and I think water vapour in the bottle is the best explanation as although the heating was on, it was on low and nothing else on

Last edited:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I was at Newarl last wekend when the weather was a little, er... inclement.. and on the Saturday morning my Calor Lite bottle looked muchly the same as yours, but as far as I could tell gas was still flowing and everything was working properly!

Attachments

• Frozen Bottle.jpg
    Frozen Bottle.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 36

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The frost on the bottle shows that you are drawing gas at a rapid rate
and as such you may not getting the liquid to convert to gas

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It is also a good indicator of the level of gas in the cylinder

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We too where at Newark and our looked like that all weekend with heating running on medium no problem until battery's went flat quick top with genny and away again no probs

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The frost you see on the outside of the cylinder is moisture from the air condensed onto the very cold cylinder (made so by the rapid draw off of gas vapour which in turn demands more liquid to boil from liquid to vapour, to do this requires energy which is taken from the air surrounding the cylinder, in low temperature situations there is insufficient energy in the ambient air so the liquid inside the cylinder ceases to boil into vapour). This does not indicate the liquid inside the cylinder has frozen!

I have seen a 11KG cylinder full of liquified petroleum gas stood in the open on a hot summer's day and the tap opened fully, in less than ten minutes the flow of gas all but stopped, not because the liquid had run out but because its temperature had dropped so low that the remaining liquid all but ceased to boil.

We too were at Newark and we got through about 16 litres of LPG and we only have a 2KW heater, friends of ours with bigger heaters got through 11KGs (22 plus litres) and more in the same time. A 6KG cylinder is too small to support a big draw off rate and regardless of the temperature you set on the thermostat all heaters I've come across will run at full whack till they get close to set temperature, only then will they cut down the burn rate. A Truma Combi 6 will produce 6KW of heat on full whack which equates to around 3 litres of gas vapour per hour. Your 6KG cylinder holds a tad over 12 litres of liquid gas which will make around 400 litres of gaseous vapour but will require quite a lot of heat energy from the ambient air to change state.

My belief is the take off rate of your heater in the ambient temperature exceeds that of a 6 KG cylinder, hence yourr cylinder has frosted and the liquid gas inside has ceased to boil into vapour.

D.

OP
OP
Followtheox

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
The frost on the bottle shows that you are drawing gas at a rapid rate
and as such you may not getting the liquid to convert to gas

That picture was taken 2 hours after it stopped working, no gas being drawn off, it stayed like that and I was able to show the dealer many hours later. The only gas being drawn when it was in use was the heating on low.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as already said its the take off rate which relates to the surace area of the liquid in the bottle which is why roofers often have two or three large bottles linked to feed the asphalt pots on the back of the truck

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
That picture was taken 2 hours after it stopped working, no gas being drawn off, it stayed like that and I was able to show the dealer many hours later. The only gas being drawn when it was in use was the heating on low.

As the outside temperature was minus 5 why would you expect the frost to thaw off the cylinder? Once it had formed it was not likely to melt in sub zero temps was it?

Even though there was no gas being drawn at the time of the photograph the reasons are still the same, gas draw off rate was too high for that size cylinder in those ambient temperatures.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
A small correction to an earlier post where I said a 6KW heater would use about 3 litres per hour, I was mistaken. It would actually use 480 grammes per hour on 6KW which is about 1 litre of liquid or 330 litres of vapour.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back