LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I cant remember if I have given a revue on the Maplin induction hob, so if so I apologise. I bought one of these things some time ago as it was the ideal size for the van and I thought it would be useful when we have hookup. I can report that it is a great piece of kit and since arriving in Benidorm it has been in continual use and am amazed how quick it heats things up. Its so quick that when we return home it will come out of the van and be used in the house. One of my recommendations that will save you money when on site hookups. Link Removed

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I have a De Dietrich Induction hob in my kitchen and they are absolutely marvellous!

The warning about not touching the hob whilst still hot is a little misleading as the hob itself does not heat up. Infact you can place a bank note on the hob and then place utensil and cook with bank note in between and no damage will be done to the note! The heat generated is from the food being cooked which transfers to the utensil. I was shown this by the guy who installed it.

Incidentally, the best product for cleaning is a German make called "Froggy Vitro" which is also excellent for stainless steel. (http://www.werner-mertz.com)

The following link will take you to the English version of the product:

Link Removed

Here in Spain you can buy it in Mercadona!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
These are rated at 2Kw, i.e. 8amps approx. They cannot be used on most French sites which usually (the cheap ones we stay on anyway) are only rated at 4 or 6 amps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am on 10amp hookup at the moment and have no problem having the induction hob on at the same time as the small electric travel kettle. I must add that the Maplin one is around the same physical size and weight as an average laptop. The thing is infinitely adjustable so am not sure if the 2 kw is on full power, maybe by turning it down a little it would not trip 8 amps. I agree with Momo that it cooks whatever is in the pan in seconds rather than minutes and as the cooking surface does not get hot in my opinion is ultra safe in the confined space of a camper.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The heat generated is from the food being cooked which transfers to the utensil.
I don't like misinformation so.....

No it's not, that's in a microwave.

An induction heater causes huge currents within the steel pan which conducts electricity so it's a big short circuit and the metal gets hot.

Don't believe me, put an empty pan on it.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Didn't realize you are still in Benidorm Snowbird! Make sure to get some "Froggy Vitro" before you leave!

My previous hob was natural gas which also gave good results but was a real menace to clean. This induction hob is not only easy to clean (seconds) but makes the best ever "Tortilla Española" and "Paella"! :thumb:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I don't like misinformation so.....

No it's not, that's in a microwave.

An induction heater causes huge currents within the steel pan which conducts electricity so it's a big short circuit and the metal gets hot.

Don't believe me, put an empty pan on it.

Just re-read the Instruction book and it clearly states that cooking is by "vibration". I put an empty pan on but only able to ignite for 2-3 seconds after which it turned itself off, only remains ignited if food in pan. :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I am with Brian, its magnetic induction, that's why it won't work on brass, aluminium and some types of stainless steel pots and pans.

Ian

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for the tip on the Froggy Vitro Momo. Have been down the market today and done my shopping but will be off to the Mercadona in Albir tomorrow to get some. It should be good to clean my Cramer ceramic gas hob in the van too. I had no idea what to clean that with before.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As Olley states some pans will not work on it so we had to chop and change with some at home so as we only have ones in the van that will work on the induction hob. Whilst looking around a huge hardware store the other day I found what I think is a gadget to make all pans work on it. It looked something like a round flat tennis racket with a short handle. I will have to return with my Spanish dictionary to find out more. The only problem we have is the pressure cooker wont work on it as its made from aluminium.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I am with Brian, its magnetic induction, that's why it won't work on brass, aluminium and some types of stainless steel pots and pans.

Ian

Hi Ian! I was just saying what the book says - I'm no expert! :roflmto:

Can only comment my own experiences regarding daily use. Not the technicalities. :thumb:

I had copper bottomed stainless steel pans previously but had to get all new for this hob. :cry:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Buy suitable saucepans from Tesco's value range, most are less than a fiver.

The hob also makes a good electric BBQ for cooking outside, perfect for fish and other strong smelling food.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I found what I think is a gadget to make all pans work on it.

That will completely defeat the efficiency of the induction concept, the "wires" will glow just like a normal element and the heat will escape all round the pan as usual.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I put an empty pan on but only able to ignite for 2-3 seconds after which it turned itself off, only remains ignited if food in pan. :thumb:

Now that is interesting.

These things have very cleaver protection circuits otherwise if you brought you hand near and was wearing a ring, even gold because it's a conductive loop, you'd lose a finger.

But you've got me stumped for now, I do not know how it knows that there is no food in there. I'd take a guess it can measure the temperature of the pan and it sees the temperature rising so fast it works out that there is no food in it.

Here's a good read.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Thanks for the tip on the Froggy Vitro Momo. Have been down the market today and done my shopping but will be off to the Mercadona in Albir tomorrow to get some. It should be good to clean my Cramer ceramic gas hob in the van too. I had no idea what to clean that with before.

You can get some anti-scratch scouring sponges in Mercadona which really work well. They are called "Estropajo Azul" with the words "No Raya" (3 pack) and you can really go at it without any fear of spoiling surface.
Mine had a very dull, large area which I couldn't remove with any of the other cleaners but Froggy brought it back to shiney brand new with these sponges.:thumb: Incidentally, caused by using the gadget!

As Olley states some pans will not work on it so we had to chop and change with some at home so as we only have ones in the van that will work on the induction hob. Whilst looking around a huge hardware store the other day I found what I think is a gadget to make all pans work on it. It looked something like a round flat tennis racket with a short handle. I will have to return with my Spanish dictionary to find out more. The only problem we have is the pressure cooker wont work on it as its made from aluminium.

Yes you are correct and it works quite well if you only have one or two rogue pans! (But don't get confused with another item which is popular here for making toast on a gas stove and looks similar but with a mesh base!) Just make sure it's big enough for your pressure cooker. Mind you if you wanted to get an induction one they are quite cheap here, mine is a stainless steel "Magefesa" which is a very popular make with the Spaniards.

To check you could say:

"¿Es para convertir sartenes para uso en placas de inducción?"
(¿Es parra conberteer sartennes parra ooso en plackas de induc-thee-on?)

(Is this to convert pans for use on induction hobs?) :roflmto: :thumb:

They'll probably start babbling away at you presuming you speak fluent Spanish! :roflmto:

Look forward to hearing how you get on! :roflmto:

Last edited:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.

Very interesting read!

This bit could be useful to Snowbird:

"Induction disks are metal plates--much like a skillet with no sides--that heat up non-ferrous pots by contact, but these sacrifice much of the power and efficiency of direct use of induction in a compatible cooking vessel".

I could add that they also spoil the finish/look of the shiney hob! (But only if you can't buy Froggy!) :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back