Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
When buying a motorhome privately, what precautions do people take?

As far as I can see, apart from verifying condition of the van, there are two issues -

1. Verifying ownership, which I would do via an HPI check.
2. Payment - This is a tricky one as you actually want the van "in your hands" as the cash is transferred to the seller !

Any thoughts on these?
How have you conducted your private purchases?

Thanks

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
HPI check to verify the vehicle and chaps transfer of the funds. I have bought both my MH's private. first one £28k the second £45k.
Paid a depo after checking over the bus and verifying the vin number ect and went back a few days later to pay and collect. A quick check over the MH and then of to the bank with the seller. Transfer the funds, this cost around £30. And of we went.
I know of someone who asked to see the sellers passport as proof of ID.

Andy

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Verify the van is in good serviceable condition, and do an HPI check. Be certain it is what you want. Find out how things work. check nothing is missing (spare wheel) etc;. Study the documents thoroughly, ask the owner about the background of the vehicle, and why he is selling it, be sure that things tie in with the story, and he is not pulling the wool over your eyes.
Then if you are completely satisfied, walk away!
Go and have a cuppa and a think. Is it what you really want? Is the price right? Can you afford to run it? How much is the insurance? Where will you park it? Will you get the use out of it?
If you are happy with your self grilling, return, and offer well below the asking price. There is nothing worse than offering £30k if it is for sale at £32k and they rip your hand off, better to offer £25k and watch their reaction, you can then come to an agreed price somewhere in the middle. Be firm.
Remember you will not have a guarantee or come back once you have paid.
Internet banking is what i use for money transfers, usually within an hour it's done.
Take someone with you to check it over if you are not confident.
Have an insurance companies phone number with you, and you can ring them for cover whilst the money is being transferred.
And finally, leave the rose tinted glasses at home!

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We bought all our motorhomes privately.

On the last one we did HPI check and MOT check.

If there is service history phone the company up, remember books can be stamped by unscrupulous people without work being done

At viewings we check everything. That the gas works that the water taps work, that the boiler heats up that the cooker does what its supposed to.
Dont forget to get up onto the roof as well or view the roof from the sellers house if possible and wind any awning out.

We spend at least 2 hours checking it much to the bemusement of one or two owners that we have not bought from. We even have turned settees into beds to make sure we fit (and as beds vary we dont fit on some).

All this has saved us from buying some motorhomes that have been "faulty".

If we then see what we want we state that we are happy to leave a deposit providing the vehicle can be inspected. Where they insist on using their garage or said you either want it or dont we have others looking at it we didnt bother taking the sale further.

We also pre arrange with a garage of our choice or the AA or RAC for an inspection to be carried out and take a damp tester with us. The damp tester has also saved us.

If you arent experienced Jims Motorhome Buying Guide and checklist is a valuable addition to any potential purchaser.

We have made prior arrangements with our bank to withdraw money but do it at the bank itself with the seller, that way it is all done under camera so to speak. With large amounts of money you can always pay a solicitor to hold the money and then to transfer the money to the seller who just gives your solicitor the bank details over the phone and the transfer takes about 10 minutes to do. A reputable solicitor wont charge much for this service.

Remember if there is an experienced funster happy to look at a motorhome with you, take up the offer.

Hope this has been helpful

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
HPI check to verify the vehicle and chaps transfer of the funds. I have bought both my MH's private. first one £28k the second £45k.
Paid a depo after checking over the bus and verifying the vin number ect and went back a few days later to pay and collect. A quick check over the MH and then of to the bank with the seller. Transfer the funds, this cost around £30. And of we went.
[HI]I know of someone who asked to see the sellers passport as proof of ID.[/HI]

Andy

Brave person, over the years I have seen no end of fake and doctored passports, some are so good that the ordinary person could not tell the difference. In one case a DL I showed a police officer was fake and he could not tell.

I think the term ""Let the buyer beware" springs to mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]I know of someone who asked to see the sellers passport as proof of ID.[/HI]

Andy

Brave person, over the years I have seen no end of fake and doctored passports, some are so good that the ordinary person could not tell the difference. In one case a DL I showed a police officer was fake and he could not tell.

I think the term ""Let the buyer beware" springs to mind.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You might consider investing in Jim's buyer's guide. It had many tips that helped me...

And be warned that there are people (some of whom post on Fun) who think that if you arrange to view something they have offered for sale... take time to view it... and then don't buy it... you are a "time waster". (That thinking always puzzles me.)

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back