Ultrastore Rapid not heating up on Electric (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hi can anyone help?

Just refilled Truma Unltrastore and its not heating water up.. Is it mostly likely the fuse on the Ultrastore itself? Ive tried to get to fuse and although unscrewing the protective case I cant seem to get to it easily... thought Id check with you guys first to see your thoughts.

Ive not tried using it with gas yet...

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Have turned on the main switch, in my autotrail you turn it on by using the control panel, but there is also another switch in the wardrobe

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Have turned on the main switch, in my autotrail you turn it on by using the control panel, but there is also another switch in the wardrobe

Hi..im in swift sundance 630g... yes its on at the control panel..i dont have another switch except for main switches, which are on.. but all other electrics are lit up and working...

thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Not sure if youve sorted it but they do have an overheat thermostat fitted.If it does show fault normally switching off for 10-15 mins then switching on resets it .Have you tried on both settings?

I think the fuse in the heater itself is for the pcb, Have you checked the circuit breakers on 230v supply?Also have you ever used a cleaner ,descaled the unit ( not knowing how old it is of course ) as it could be scaled. Have you noticed the speed at which it takes to heat slowing at all?If so it could point toward the heating element.

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
If you are lucky you have turned it on with no water in the tank if this is so it will have tripped out just turn off at the mains and leave for 10 minutes and try again obviously making sure boiler tank is full first, if this doesn't work there should be a switched fused spur somewhere in the electrics maybe the fuse here has blown if not it will be the 240v element blown, as long as you can get to the boiler easy enough it is quite an easy diy job to replace it Item 8 in the blown up parts diagram in the link here Link Removed

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
If you are lucky you have turned it on with no water in the tank if this is so it will have tripped out just turn off at the mains and leave for 10 minutes and try again obviously making sure boiler tank is full first, if this doesn't work there should be a switched fused spur somewhere in the electrics maybe the fuse here has blown if not it will be the 240v element blown, as long as you can get to the boiler easy enough it is quite an easy diy job to replace it Item 8 in the blown up parts diagram in the link here Link Removed

Ive just been out to glance at mine but couldnt see an inline fuse ( heater under bench seat) I also noticed that the trip switch (rcd) for the water heater also serves the fridge and 12v battery charger so he would probably notice troubles with them also.It will be interesting to hear the conclusion and if he was ok on the gas.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Not sure if youve sorted it but they do have an overheat thermostat fitted.If it does show fault normally switching off for 10-15 mins then switching on resets it .Have you tried on both settings?

I think the fuse in the heater itself is for the pcb, Have you checked the circuit breakers on 230v supply?Also have you ever used a cleaner ,descaled the unit ( not knowing how old it is of course ) as it could be scaled. Have you noticed the speed at which it takes to heat slowing at all?If so it could point toward the heating element.

Thanks for response Dave

It did work perfectly before I drained it for winter... I've refilled.., but not worked at all since its been refilled. Its not had chance to overheat..

I've not descaled it...its 5 years old now. It heated pretty quickly last time i used it.. When you say circuit breakers on the 230v supply, do you mean the fuses? I did check them and all seemed ok, but i was upside down trying to view them with a torch and mirror.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Thanks for response Dave

It did work perfectly before I drained it for winter... I've refilled.., but not worked at all since its been refilled. Its not had chance to overheat..

I've not descaled it...its 5 years old now. It heated pretty quickly last time i used it.. When you say circuit breakers on the 230v supply, do you mean the fuses? I did check them and all seemed ok, but i was upside down trying to view them with a torch and mirror.

Hello,not fuses, circuit breakers on the main 230v unit.Are all switches in the up position?While power switched off try pulling them out and putting back in.Also have you tried heating on gas?

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

Thanks for this

I believe that I had refilled the tank...I had reconnected pipes..turned pump on, which then took some time to refill the tank. As I've just come back home and with freezing cold weather, ive dumped the water from it again. What seems to make sense to me, is to refill the tank, do another check on the fuses and try it again....

Would it make any difference if I do turn off electrics at the mains before refilling, or before turning on at control panel?

thanks

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hello,not fuses, circuit breakers on the main 230v unit.Are all switches in the up position?While power switched off try pulling them out and putting back in.Also have you tried heating on gas?

Really appreciate your help here.

Yes checked switches and all ok.. Think I will try turning switches off and back on again, double check fuses, and the fuse on the PCB. It could be that fuse, but i would probably have to break some fingers to change it..

Im back out on Wednesday so will report back on what happens

thanks for helping

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Thanks for this

I believe that I had refilled the tank...I had reconnected pipes..turned pump on, which then took some time to refill the tank. As I've just come back home and with freezing cold weather, ive dumped the water from it again. What seems to make sense to me, is to refill the tank, do another check on the fuses and try it again....

Would it make any difference if I do turn off electrics at the mains before refilling, or before turning on at control panel?

thanks

You should turn off at control panel and leave for 10-15 mins and the overheat thermostat will reset if you havent already tried this.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
You should turn off at control panel and leave for 10-15 mins and the overheat thermostat will reset if you havent already tried this.

Have you tried the gas side of the heater?

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

Hi Dave

See what you mean now.. I had checked that all switches were up, but hadnt tried pulling them out and back in.. I will try other recommendations on next outing and if no joy, i will try gas...

Thanks again for your time..

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010

Yes tried this then.. if its just turning off at control panel, I did this and then turned back on 12 hrs later with no effect..

thanks

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Quick update...

I refilled with water... And tried again heating water via electric, but again wasnt working. I then tried using gas and its working ok on gas.. So hot water.

What i will do next is unplug motorhome from mains, turn off at my internal mains box, turn back on, and see if that sorts it.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
If it doesn't work it is almost certainly the 240v element that is at fault, being a full timer I have had to change 3 or 4 over the last 7 years. easy enough job as long as you can get to the boiler easy enough

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
If it doesn't work it is almost certainly the 240v element that is at fault, being a full timer I have had to change 3 or 4 over the last 7 years. easy enough job as long as you can get to the boiler easy enough

Easily tested with a multi meter.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thanks its sorted

As reported last time it was working ok on gas. As recommended by Daveo2006 after another drain of boiler, i switched electrics off with master switch without electric being on hook up... I waited 15 mins and turned on again.. I thought i heard a click from boiler.. Cant quite remember if it was whilst all electric turned off at mains or a few minutes after turning mains back on.

Back on site now, with hook up and retried water heater and its working again

Thanks to all..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back