Extreme weather in D & G (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The difference a day makes although a cold raw wind yesterday it was sunny, we are staying a few miles from Kirkcudbright on a superb C & CC CS at Solway View, Balmangan Farm. This is a favourite of ours with some wonderful walks, scenery and birdwatching , nice new spotless toilet and laundry block and facilities that would shame some larger expensive sites.

A couple of photo's from yesterday and one a short time ago through the window. Our grand-daughter (13 months old today) got quite excited at seeing the newborn lambs in the field just a few yards from our pitch.

We were going to move on today but have decided to stay put, nice touch from the owner who called earlier to see if we were all OK and had no problems caused by the weather.

Electrikery keeps tripping briefly now and again but all is nice and snug inside, good TV reception and MiFi signal and plenty of food. This is only the second outing in the new MH and its first on ehu so a good trial. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• sw02.jpg
    sw02.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 117
  • sw03.jpg
    sw03.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 117
  • sw04.jpg
    sw04.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 118
  • snowy01.jpg
    snowy01.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 136
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Here in Stranraer we are in the middle of the worst snowstorm I've seen for 10 years or more. Several inches already and little drifts in the garden as we have gale force winds. It should thaw quickly however.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Bill, its worsening here with even larger snowflakes as you say a full on blizzard:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Same here in Dumfries about 3-4 inches and still coming down with forecast for heavier snow later.

Took this pic about 12.30 today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 52
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hope it all clears up for you. We are heading off shortly for a trip. If the weather improves we might head over the West but only if.....

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Well it is not getting any better :whatthe: This taken a short while ago through a side window so some reflection!

Attachments

• snowy06.jpg
    snowy06.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The weather continues to worsen couldn't go anywhere even if we wanted 6 inches of level snow and still blizzard conditions. And to cap it all after many brief power outages we lost it completely an hour ago.:Eeek:

We have a tugger on site with us just wondering what battery capacity he has:whatthe:

TV reception has gone very iffy some channels have disappeared others are pixilating no doubt due to power problems. :cry:

Just listening to local travel warnings even major roads are blocked and motorway is slow:Sad:

Good job were not desperate to get back home

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Here we are 23.00 hrs, its still blowing a hooligan and the snow is relentless temperature is below freezing and mains power is still down as it is to 6000 homes in the area. This is the sort of extreme that justifies the expense of a refillable LPG system and the peace of mind it brings. We are touring with our 13 month old grand daughter so need to keep the heating on as well as fridge and water heater and knowing we have plenty of gas is a big relief.

Nothing much is moving in the area there's 8/9 inches of level snow much more were its drifting in this savage wind so no chance of moving anywhere. Hoping for an improvement in conditions tomorrow:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Nice touch just before dusk the farmer was back out to check all was well with us and we didn't need anything, that really was a nice touch. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hope you all stay safe and warm there.

Sounds like there will be a magical and pristine winter wonderland outside for the little one to gaze out upon in the morning.

Hopefully come Monday or Tuesday it will all be gone......

I'm hoping to take the van up the Northumberland coast on my own on Monday or Tuesday for a couple of nights, just to give it the once over before the Easter holidays when we will all go away...., though we still don't know yet in which direction we will head....

:Smile:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks Call um how long you on leave for? Hope the weather improves for the jaunt into Northumbria:thumb::thumb::thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks Call um how long you on leave for? Hope the weather improves for the jaunt into Northumbria:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Cheers Stewart, I'm off for about 6 weeks, (usually 2mths/2mths).

My ship was anchored off Tees earlier today. I watched it on AIS, they have now picked up anchor and are slow steaming off the coast, due to the gale force Easterly onshore winds.

Glad I'm ashore for now.........:thumb:

Just looked at the BBC forecast for D&G, it says the sleet and snow across will ease and die out, and the sun may even pop out on Sunday, though it will still be very cold....

Still it's great if you are nice and snug in the van with those wonderful views outside...... Keep us updated, I'm enjoying your posts and photos...:thumb:::bigsmile:

Cheers...

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
We have snow Seasalter East Kent laying fast now so be careful to and fro the tunnel although roads look clear at the moment

Broken Link Removed

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Woke up to find we are cut off, the whole county. Never mind, we've got power. Snowing again and drifting, there is a JCB trying to clear the road up the hill behind us. He's managed 50 yds. in an hour.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Morning Bill we had a wild night and suffered a lot of buffeting in the high and gusting winds so rather a disturbed sleep. Still no power so having to keep an eye on consumptions a good trial for a new van.

Its snowing as I write we are trapped here theres been a lot of drifting in this wind I'll be checking out depths soon when I have to bin rubbish and empty the cassette. I've only shorty wellies so this could be entertaining. :Eeek:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Hope you are okay, I've just cleared the drive, the snow is soft powdery stuff, not the usual wet stuff we get. Checked my van as well, all okay in there. A few neighbors out clearing snow from their satellite dishes. Still snowing a little and a moderate wind, things should improve later this afternoon.

Best of luck,
Bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Morning Stewart woke up in Dumfries to about 4 inches overnight although it has stopped snowing now. Really windy though and a few roads closed around about us, if your in need of anything and can't get out please feel free to ask and I will do my best to help out have a few friends in Kirkcudbright with 4x4 so just let me know.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hi Gerry, many thanks for that very kind offer, we are though still marooned ok and the farmer has again just been out to check we are all ok and needing nothing, offers of fresh milk from farmhouse if needed.

Still no signs of any restoration of power, unofficially they hope to get it back late afternoon/early evening. Our batteries are holding out well (2 x 110 ampere leisures) and the solar panel is throwing 1-2 amps out as its a brighter afternoon. We've plenty of gas both 11kg Alugas cylinders were topped up on route, this is the sort of extreme situation where this sort of system comes into its own to give complete peace of mind. (Next job is an auto changeover valve fitted methinks to save having to go out and swap over outlet hoses!)

The wind though still strong and gusty is starting to lessen though still giving the truma heater auto re-ignition plenty of exercise:Eeek:

We did a big shop at Dumfries also on route so have no food worries, all is cosy and well with good TV and MiFi reception so we can keep in contact with the outside world.:thumb::thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Things must be improving, our road to Glasgow is now reopened and the two diggers on the hill behind us have met so the Port road is open. It is still snowing a little however. Road through to Dumfries is still blocked.

Rgds
Bill

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
stopped on the site last year farmer is a very friendly man ,shower block is one of the best you can find ,as you said good walking and nice views hope all gos well ..:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad to hear all is well dont be afraid to ask though. Weather in Dumfries has eased up still really cold though.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Power restored at 16.00hrs wind has again increased with lengthy heavy snow showers almost blizzard like at times as now. Just been out clearing snow build up on ramps and its all starting to freeze, outside temperature reads -2.6 surprisingly (usually above zero when its snowing:whatthe:)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Stay safe and warm glad to read you are all OK:thumb:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Once he'd finished ploughing out the road the farmer ploughed us a road out yesterday afternoon. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Had a leisurely drive home today, some of the drifts on road out were 9 foot or more:whatthe: and it was narrow just inches either side it was slow going for a couple of miles.

A memorable mini holiday. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back