Rouen bypass avoiding low underpasses (1 Viewer)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Rouen

Which is the best route to avoid the low bridge/underpass?
Destination Brezolles..

Ta
The traffic always seems to be running fairly well on the direct through route when we are heading south. I have never had reason to want to by-pass the place, so I'm not aware of any low bridges. Some people by-pass Lyon because it can be a bit intimidating due to the tunnels but there again if you stay alert and keep your wits about you then it's ok.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The traffic always seems to be running fairly well on the direct through route when we are heading south. I have never had reason to want to by-pass the place, so I'm not aware of any low bridges. Some people by-pass Lyon because it can be a bit intimidating due to the tunnels but there again if you stay alert and keep your wits about you then it's ok.

Have driven through Lyon and yes the tunnels are impressive, but they do save a lot of time, the biggest issue I had was the loss of GPS to Tom Tom and then the need to catch up. I can agree that its not the best city to drive a MH, but as my Goddaughter lives there, I have no choice.

Thanks for the info re Rouen, I know its been mentioned before,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We always try to avoid it like the plague :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: first time we went under that vey low bridge we were in Wilma (we had previously owned Loftys m/h) which was a conversion , we were diverted onto it by the Gendarme due to Bastille Day celebrartions , I thought I closed my eyes and ducked as low as I could in a split second thankfully John stayed focused but we were very very close to losing the top vents ..I come over faint just typing this :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Must add it was our first time in a camper van in Frnace, so we were naive about Rouen

We have driven the long way round Rouen without any probs but very slowly scanning for low bridge signs

Kath

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Ruin

We've been lost in Rouen so many times it's a disgrace ! If we take the normal route out down to Evreux it's fine, I know where I'm going it's no problem. Last year I thought no we'll take the road to Le Mans just for a change. I don't pay tolls on principle so the payage is a no no, set the sat nav for Le Mans (no tolls) managed to avoid going down any of the ring road tunnels (stay on the nearside lane all the the way) and then at the other end got completely lost because all the signs were for the payage. Somehow managed to get out of the city but couldn't find a bridge to cross the motorway nor could I even get on it anywhere even if I'd wanted to. After many U turns and and back tracking we made it out on the road we were looking for.
On the way back through Rouen roads were closed bridges were shut and we got lost again ! I think we shall go around by Reims this year. Best of luck !

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you come around a roundabout and right in front of you is a low tunnel, best bet is to stay on the peage, that section is not that expencive just to get past Rouen. otherwise you will spend more time getting lost and trying to find a safe way through. Next to the restricted height tunnel is I think a restricted width tunnel anyone tried that? how bad is it. I seem to remember there is an alternative which is easy if you know it but what the hell stay on the peage and zip on through.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
you come around a roundabout and right in front of you is a low tunnel, best bet is to stay on the peage, that section is not that expencive just to get past Rouen. otherwise you will spend more time getting lost and trying to find a safe way through. Next to the restricted height tunnel is I think a restricted width tunnel anyone tried that? how bad is it. I seem to remember there is an alternative which is easy if you know it but what the hell stay on the peage and zip on through.

We had always driven through Rouen (without any problem) but last time we went I was in the middle of an argument with my wife and all the kids were tired and fractious so I turned onto the peage just to get it over with as soon as possible ::bigsmile:

For the sake of a few quid, it made me wonder why we hadn't always done it.
Highly recommended :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Avoiding Rouen

Here is the route we use to miss out Rouen. All good roads and no tolls and we have used it many times.
It follows the East side of the river and drops you on the A154 missing out all the industrial sites of Rouen and from there choose your route South.

Link Removed

It's also quicker because you don't get lost. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I agree with Keith's Route personally.
Just out of interest where's the paege road in Rouen, can't see one on my map not until a town called Criquebeuf sur seine A13 south in one direction or at Bourg Achard A13 in westerly direction . Some 10 miles from centre of Rouen.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I thought there was no peage around Rouen which is why you had to go through?

We got lost and fell foul of the tunnel about 3 years ago. Done the same journey three or four times since without any problems.

If you do get lost, drive slowly, keep a good lookout and tell the fuming French drivers to :swear: off:thumb:

Last edited:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Definately agree with this route. :thumb: Even with our RV no problems.

Here is the route we use to miss out Rouen. All good roads and no tolls and we have used it many times.
It follows the East side of the river and drops you on the A154 missing out all the industrial sites of Rouen and from there choose your route South.

Link Removed

It's also quicker because you don't get lost. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Roger we go through Rouen a lot and never ever been on a peage:Doh:...keep on the main road in and just before the water you head east following the river (follow TOMTOM) or go straight the bridge and then head east following the river again...lots of railway sidings and industrial companies...

TWO WAYS :thumb:

HEAD STRAIGHT INTO ROUEN..ON THE... N28-E402 ...THE MAIN ROAN IN FROM THE NORTH

KEEP ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE RIVER HEAD EAST D6015....D7.....A13....AND THEN HEAD SOUTH
THIS ROUTE IS A BIT MORE SCENIC.

OR

MAIN ROAD IN FROM THE NORTH N28 - E402....CROSS THE RIVER PONT MATHILDE D6028,...E46,...E402,..D18E,....A13, E5......HEAD SOUTH.

...lots of railway sidings and industrial companies...

MEL

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Simples

Yes Keith that's the route we choose when we don't want to get lost, but you can only get to know a place properly when you go round and round it, re visiting landmarks every 30mins and wondering how the hell you got back here again ! :Doh:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I've just had the Atlas Routier out to see which way we went.

I think we got onto the A13 peage (heading south to north), onto the N338 through Rouen then the A150 and A29 peage.

We had never been this way before but it seemed much quicker and easier keeping to the west side of the city (and no tunnels, if that's your bete noire :Smile: )

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
OR

MAIN ROAD IN FROM THE NORTH N28 - E402....CROSS THE RIVER PONT MATHILDE D6028,...E46,...E402,..D18E,....A13, E5......HEAD SOUTH.

...lots of railway sidings and industrial companies...

MEL

Agree....

This is the way I have always used, (except first time in 1984, when I did get lost).

Come in from the North as above. Once you cross the river on Pont Mathilde, turn off, not the first off but the secons, signed A13, Elbeuf, le Mans, ZI East,(it's quite a tight bend on the off slip) and then follow the railway, industrial estates and all the HGV's.....

very briefly onto the A13 then turn off south onto A154 then N154 towards Evreux....:thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We ran down though rowan to Dordogne
And followed toll free option I remember going past all railway sidings and industry area does this mean I was lucky as I did not know rowan could be a problem

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Agree....

This is the way I have always used, (except first time in 1984, when I did get lost).

Come in from the North as above. Once you cross the river on Pont Mathilde, turn off, not the first off but the secons, signed A13, Elbeuf, le Mans, ZI East,(it's quite a tight bend on the off slip) and then follow the railway, industrial estates and all the HGV's.....

very briefly onto the A13 then turn off south onto A154 then N154 towards Evreux....:thumb:

Correct Callum...as far as I know there is NO Peage in Rouen....I am not saying once you exit the the outer regions of Rouen you will not finally come to a Peage...

also

If you are coming from Dieppe...then its the N27,..A151,..A150,..N338,..N138,...A13..THEN SOUTH...

OR
IF YOU ARE A BIT UNSURE OF THE ROUTE THROUGH ROUEN AND YOU ARE COMING SOUTH FROM CALAIS.
KEEP ON THE A28-E402,...THEN ONTO A29-E44...THEN .JOIN UP WITH THE OTHER ROUTE FROM DIEPPE THE A151.. A150,..N338,..N138,...A13..THEN SOUTH...:thumb:

Dave.. do not worry you will finally get out of the Bermuda triangle:RollEyes::RollEyes::winky::winky::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I've just had the Atlas Routier out to see which way we went.

I think we got onto the A13 peage (heading south to north), onto the N338 through Rouen then the A150 and A29 peage.

We had never been this way before but it seemed much quicker and easier keeping to the west side of the city (and no tunnels, if that's your bete noire :Smile: )

If anyone is nervous about driving through the city, have a look at this route on Google street view.
It's motorway/dual carriageway then two roundabouts before a six-lane bridge over the river and straight back on to the dual carriage way and motorway.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Keiths route is the one we take most of the time..:thumb:

If your going to Brezolles then follow that route..
If you want an easy life for about €2 then once at Rouen, follow signs for Paris.. Get on the motorway (free at this point) then you can either turn off onto the N road for Evereaux or there is a small toll you can use.. Good time saver.

If you go into Rouen and trust your sat nav heading for Le mans area it will certainly try and send you down the 2.7mtr tunnels unless you are alert and keep a look out for the roads that run along side the tunnels and go over the top..

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
probably fine with a satnav, when we went through I had Sue reading a map.in the dark with one eye shut and a 50 year old map that was faded, well that's my excuse anyway:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We've actually had intimate interaction with 'that underpass'. It's not something to detour to avoid. It passes under a roundabout rather than going around it. Simply keep your eyes open and don't take the slip road that takes you under it. We got on the slip and were heading for the bridge when Jean let out a scream :shout: as I heard a loud thump on the roof! Luckily it was a height barrier warning that we hit prior to the bridge itself. :Doh: it swings around when you hit it without causing any real damage - better than hitting the bridge itself! We had to back up a little to get back onto the adjacent road around the island and continued our journey shaken but not stirred. Phew!

Wyn

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We've actually had intimate interaction with 'that underpass'. It's not something to detour to avoid. It passes under a roundabout rather than going around it. Simply keep your eyes open and don't take the slip road that takes you under it. We got on the slip and were heading for the bridge when Jean let out a scream :shout: as I heard a loud thump on the roof! Luckily it was a height barrier warning that we hit prior to the bridge itself. :Doh: it swings around when you hit it without causing any real damage - better than hitting the bridge itself! We had to back up a little to get back onto the adjacent road around the island and continued our journey shaken but not stirred. Phew!

Wyn

Same thing happened to us in rush hour. We hit the height warning and it cracked the front roof light. I was [STRIKE]man[/STRIKE] stupid enough to keep going but luckily the bridge was slightly higher than the warning sign.

I was one nervous Welshman as we entered the tunnel.:Sad:::bigsmile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The couple of occasions I've been through the middle of Rouen I've just followed the SatNav but avoided going down that low tunnel. The SatNav adapts and sends us down an alternative route and that's about it.

On return journeys to Calais from the SW we usually stop overnight at the Honfleur aire then go over the Pont de Normandie.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi all , just came through rouen 2 hours ago. (heading in the caen - calais direction) the pont mathilde is closed and theres diversion in place over the north of the city out on the dieppe road. added 45 mins to my journey time:Angry: only one other van here at cite europe at the moment . all the best sean

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My pennyworth !
Suggest N10 route which is detailed in this attachment. (Non Toll)

http://about-france.com/travel.htm#Free

The following route is a detailed route for getting through, well actual down the east side of Rouen.

If going South (for Evreux and Dreux) on the A28/N28:

After exiting the tunnel take third slip signed VERNON.

In 200m this will bring you to 2 sets of traffic lights at a dual carriageway, the N15.

Go through L hand set of traffic lights to cross the N15 and try to get into the far RH lane.

As the traffic moves stay in the RH lane as you take a slight RH bend in 50M.

If you are not there already, get into that RH lane as the traffic splits in 200M and you must take the road to your right the N15.

Follow the road through an industrial area until after about about a mile it delivers you onto the bank of the R Seine.

Follow the road until a roundabout with 2 exits where you turn right.

Follow that road and you'll see signs for Evreux and Dreux more frequently so you can ignore Vernon

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
This is the route we have been taking for quite a few years now. The traffic moves quite fast (90km/h most of the way). You can stop or overnight free at the aire in Oissel if you want.:Smile:
Out Tomtom gets a bit upset as we program it to avoid tolls and this way takes you onto the A13 which is a 'peage'. But we tell it to shut up :RollEyes: and use the A13 to the exit for the A154. It only cost a few euros and is quite fast

Attachments

• rouen.jpg
    rouen.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Same thing happened to us in rush hour. We hit the height warning and it cracked the front roof light. I was [STRIKE]man[/STRIKE] stupid enough to keep going but luckily the bridge was slightly higher than the warning sign.

I was one nervous Welshman as we entered the tunnel.:Sad:::bigsmile:

"Wow you're a braver Welshman than I am! :clap: I would never have had the nerve to try!

Jean had to get out and persuade a queue of French drivers to reverse back up the slip road to let us out - she wasn't keen but it was either that or just stay where we were. I did offer the option of reversing the van while I directed traffic but she declined!!!

Wyn

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I am completely mystified never had a problem never seen a tunnel /low bridge? :Eeek:just set the tom tom to brezolles and away we go done this at least ten times? :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back