When is habitation service due ? (1 Viewer)

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We have swift sundance which was registered in April 2012 by Marquis but bought by us from Them in July 2012.

My question is do you think the first habitation service is due in April or July ?.

Can't seem to find whether its 12 month from date of first registration or 12 month from when we bought it.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
It would be from date of first registration to maintain the warrantee.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
As Bat21 says it is normally due after the first year but I would check with your supplier. They may have done a check if extended warramty was given to you at the time of purchase.
Wilf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GaryW

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the replies.I can understand the Fiat/chassis service being around the date of first registration albeit 2 years after that date but would have thought the dealer would have had to do some sort of check regarding the habitation side just prior to me taking delivery and hense that service being 12 month after that date

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Thanks for the replies.I can understand the Fiat/chassis service being around the date of first registration albeit 2 years after that date but would have thought the dealer would have had to do some sort of check regarding the habitation side just prior to me taking delivery and hense that service being 12 month after that date

As time goes on Gary and you are more familiar with dealers you will realise a LOT of the should be behind bars. You will have convicted people who have commited less offences than some dealers.
The moto of some dealers is take the money then run. I bought off Marquis a few years ago and must say I was very happy with the aftersales I recieved when problems arose.
They went way beyond my expectations with warranty repairs.

OP
OP
GaryW

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Update.
Contacted Swift customer services today and the first habitation service is due up to 90 days before or 60 days after 27th July 2013.

That's 12 months from the day I took delivery.

The chassis service is first due 2 years from the date of first registration with DVLA, that's April 2014.

huge

Free Member
Mar 16, 2013
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Habitation Service

Hi,
We have had our first Motorhome for 12 months and just had an interim service done on the engine to maintain the warranty. We would like to know if a habitation service is also necessary to maintain the habitation warranty. Surely if anything breaks in the habitation side then it is covered under the habitation warranty whether a habitation service has been done or not.
Also if we do need to have one we would like to ask if anyone has experience with mobile habitation services who will come to you and carry out the service on your drive.
Thanks Huge.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The habitation service is due annually to maintain your conversion warranty, it is also in your interests to have one done as the gas and electrics should be checked as well.

There are two Fun Members who are mobile, Ash and CLS, dont know if they will travel to your area though

Peter

huge

Free Member
Mar 16, 2013
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Habitation Service

Thanks for your reply Peter. I can understand what you say about the gas and electrics being checked in our own intrest. As we are just Newbies we are not too sure as to some of the descriptions given to Motorhomes. Can you please explain what a conversion warranty is exactly. Our MH is a six berth overcab type. Should we have a conversion warranty with this type of MH?
Huge.

OP
OP
GaryW

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Huge,

I am by no means an expert but I understand it as;

Think of your Motorhome as being made up of 2 halves.
First is the chassis side , ie the base vehicle be it fiat,Peugeot,Ford etc.
Second is the habitation side or bit you live in, ie Swift,Autotrail etc.

Both parts have their own separate service schedules and warranties .

huge

Free Member
Mar 16, 2013
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Habitation Service

Thanks for that reply which makes it very clear even for us. We have already had the chassis Ford 12 month service done and now we just have to decide whether we pay someone £140 to check the gas and elecrics which have hardly been used and are as far as we know guaranteed/warranted for three years anyway.
Huge & Maggie.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Each mfrs warranty from new, states what they MUST have to maintain that wtty.

Our Bessacar was 'a Hab service by a Swift accredited engineer'. Our Pilote requires 'a damp check from a Pilote ditto' to maintain the warranty.

TBH meself, I'd rather have the lot done because then you know, don't you? I mean I expect it's much the same as an MOT ie they only check it that day so if a fault develops next week (which wouldn't have been foreseeable when they did it) you can't blame the engineer, but it does prove it's a new fault when you have to slap the warranty claim in doesn't it?

You should ask the dealer what required! And ask where it says that in your paperwork and then check the documentation yourself to make sure he ain't fibbing.

..... and then get the best quote from people who fit the specified description.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hugh,,

It's not just about the gas and electrics, it's about water ingress which can destroy a van if the sealant fails or has not been done properly from new.

As Jenny above says, and I have found out to my displeasure, to keep a manufacturers warranty valid, it needs an annual hab check by an approved accredited person to remain valid. Have it missed just once and something goes wrong and you can kiss goodbye to any dealer help.

After the warranty period , you can do it yourself with a bit of help from reading the various bits if info on here and other forums..

It will be well worn your tenner to come and join us on here, welcome to MH fun btw :thumb:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Hab service

If your motorhome is still covered by a warranty then you must have a habitation service carried out. If you don't and something goes wrong then you may find that your warranty has been invalidated. As a m/h engineer I can tell you the manufacturers nearly always ask for proof of servicing. It can be very expensive if you let the warranty become null and void.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks for your reply Peter. I can understand what you say about the gas and electrics being checked in our own intrest. As we are just Newbies we are not too sure as to some of the descriptions given to Motorhomes. Can you please explain what a conversion warranty is exactly. Our MH is a six berth overcab type. Should we have a conversion warranty with this type of MH?
Huge.

You should have a Ford cab warranty and a Ford Service Book plus a warranty from Trigano (Tribute) for the van conversion (the bit you live in)

If it is a new van you must have the habitation done to keep the Trigano warranty valid.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back